Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/11/2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Ryannn
Registered Member

New/Question

I'm new to the forum, which is why you've never seen a post from me in here.

Anyway, I live in Tulsa and am wanting to do a 20-30g FOWLR. I am just trying to get some information about prices and the best LFS in Tulsa to go to. I'd be willing to make a drive to OKC if the price was worth it, but it'd have to be really worth it.

Anyone know what uncured live rock goes for around here?
What about cured?

I'd be buying between 20 and 35lbs, depending on the size of tank I end up going with. But I think I'd like to go uncured due to the cheaper price.

Also, anyone have any lights for sale? I'm looking for something PC probably around 120w or so, just in case I want to add some corals.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Ryannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Krbekk
Premium Member

Premier Aquatics
www.premieraquaticsok.com

6125 S Sheridan Rd
Tulsa, OK 74133
(918) 497-1212

Aquarium Oddballs
6115 E. 31st St
Tulsa, OK 74135
(918) 831-0099

Are the only two I know about in Tulsa. Both are excellent stores and will be willing to answer your questions. I don't know what they charge for rock but I have seen it go from $3 to $6 a pound.

Welcome to the boards and feel free to ask any question you want. Someone will get back to you

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" --Dave Barry

Current Tank Info: 47 gallon cube, 37 gallon cube, 120 Gallon mixed reef.
Krbekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 10:30 PM   #3
paulyl61
Registered Member

I would second Krbekk's recommendations, I especially like Oddballs. One word of warning though, when you see the selection of frags you will be hooked on corals sooner than later. Take your time and good luck.

paulyl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Ryannn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulyl61
I would second Krbekk's recommendations, I especially like Oddballs. One word of warning though, when you see the selection of frags you will be hooked on corals sooner than later. Take your time and good luck.
I'm afraid of that. I have to live on a pretty strict budget, and have to plan everything in advance, so hopefully impulse buys will be kept to a minimum!

College makes me be perpetually broke. I've been saving to start a SW tank for about 2 months now, and am ready to get it going. I have a little fund I put into every week, which will be converted into food/supplies once its going.

I'm sure I will join COMAS or OMAS at some point, just a matter of me wanting to get my tank going first before I do.

Old 01/12/2008, 12:12 AM   #5
mskohl
Registered Member

The great thing about joining a club and finding the forums, is that you can find some of those necessary items for sale - used and can participate in a frag sharing program. For more information on this, check out our website: www.mycomas.com.

And the Tulsa club, OMAS, has a website: www.omas.org

Old 01/12/2008, 12:27 AM   #6
jokeloma
Premium Member

Welcome Ryan, OMAS in Tulsa is getting ready to have a meeting on January 19th. Just check the website and forums for directions.
Hopefully we will see you there.

You can also ask any other questions here or email them to me at saltclub@hotmail.com

Ask not what OMAS can do for you,
Ask what you can do for OMAS!

Current Tank Info: 130G with 55 G sump/fuge/growout/and whatever else I can fit in there

Last edited by jokeloma; 01/12/2008 at 12:51 AM.
jokeloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Serra
Registered Member

I want to throw in my 2 cents here about buying live rock. I know it seems expensive to buy from the shops but here is my experience in live rock.

With a few exceptions, all the used rock that I have bought is now covered in hair and other forms of nuisance algae. I have slowly torn my tank apart and bleached these pieces. That doesn't look real good and I lost all the "cool" stuff on the rocks. I don't find these pieces to have been much of a bargain in the long run.

Taxes, death and fresh live rock...can't seem to get around them.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 57 reef tanks. 57 and 37 freshwater garden tanks.
Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 08:11 AM   #8
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

I've used rock from all different sources and my experience has been alot different then Serra's. I've had more than a fair share of algae and other nuisances "pop" up on my rocks, but never stays around for any real length of time. Couple weeks at most when first starting a new system. I buy only "good deals" I find on rock, weather it be uncured, cured, dry, whatever. On a tight budget myself but havn't figured out how to keep impulse buys to a minimum, if you do figure that one out, let us all know, LOL.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Ryannn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
I've used rock from all different sources and my experience has been alot different then Serra's. I've had more than a fair share of algae and other nuisances "pop" up on my rocks, but never stays around for any real length of time. Couple weeks at most when first starting a new system. I buy only "good deals" I find on rock, weather it be uncured, cured, dry, whatever. On a tight budget myself but havn't figured out how to keep impulse buys to a minimum, if you do figure that one out, let us all know, LOL.
Yeah, impulse buys are bad. I plan on buying my rock "new" even though it all comes from the ocean anyway, unless it's that stuff they are making now that is so dense you can't get anything to grow on it. I'm not totally sure what you mean by used rock Serra. I mean, all live rock is going to have stuff living in it, and sometimes some nuisance algae comes along with it, You really can't avoid it unless you take it out of a fully cycled immaculate tank, and even then its probably gonna come with it.

If you are still having hair algae problems, look into getting a mexican dwarf hermit, they should pretty well clean that up.

Old 01/12/2008, 12:35 PM   #10
pwhitby
Team RC Member

Serra means (I think) rock from people selling their tanks off.

If you do buy that rock, it just needs to be recured, same as you would rock from the ocean. Once you do that...its as good as new.

Paul.

Old 01/12/2008, 12:59 PM   #11
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

good practice to "qt" or cure any new rock to play it safe. unless it's dry dead white rock, then a rinse would suffice.

ryann, not all DIY homemaderock is dense like that, it'll all depend on who made it and how it was constructed. I've used plenty of DIY rocks that fellow reefers had made, and while most of it is really dense, I"m sure this is due to the "newbiness" of those particular people making the rock, I've had some good pieces too. . Given some practice and experience with different construction options can yield very nice porous home made rock that would be perfectly fine to use.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Ryannn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwhitby
Serra means (I think) rock from people selling their tanks off.

If you do buy that rock, it just needs to be recured, same as you would rock from the ocean. Once you do that...its as good as new.

Paul.
Thats kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't totally sure.

Just curious, but has anyone here modded an AC110 into the mini-fuge? I was thinking about doing that when I get my tank, but I wanted to know if anyone else has done it, and where to find the Chaeto for it around here.

Old 01/13/2008, 12:19 AM   #13
bryon0508
Registered Member

you can get cheato pretty much off of anyone around. if your in okc area let me know ill happly give you some i got a small tank that i just grow the stuff in ,and some really neat other stuff that grows like a weed. leaves look like balls its weird but works

Current Tank Info: 55gal with 15 gal sump, 10 gal planted fresh water, and a 8 gal i have no clue to do with
bryon0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Russ Braaten
Registered Member

Ryannn,

The AC110 could be used for a fuge but I doubt it will help much. It could be a place to grow some chaeto if you can get light to it but before you start your tank. Think about drilling a hole in it and add a stockman or durso type standpipe. It you are any kind of DIY person you can do this for under $10 in parts. For a sump you can use anything that will hold water. Lots of people use storage containers but there are a lot of cheap ways to make a sump that will both grow algae and give you a deep sand bed for filtration and more.

May I also ask a question because many people are probably wondering. Is your name Ryan like the guys name or Ryann like a girls name or something else that has nothing to do with the Ryannn nick. If I can't ask the question, ignore it. hahaha

Russ Braaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2008, 04:30 AM   #15
Serra
Registered Member

Here is another OK forum with a trading post. It has a 55 listing which is how you should go if you have the space. Or a 57 which is wider and taller...
http://okcaa.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

Current Tank Info: 75 and 57 reef tanks. 57 and 37 freshwater garden tanks.
Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2008, 07:59 AM   #16
Ryannn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Braaten
Ryannn,

The AC110 could be used for a fuge but I doubt it will help much. It could be a place to grow some chaeto if you can get light to it but before you start your tank. Think about drilling a hole in it and add a stockman or durso type standpipe. It you are any kind of DIY person you can do this for under $10 in parts. For a sump you can use anything that will hold water. Lots of people use storage containers but there are a lot of cheap ways to make a sump that will both grow algae and give you a deep sand bed for filtration and more.

May I also ask a question because many people are probably wondering. Is your name Ryan like the guys name or Ryann like a girls name or something else that has nothing to do with the Ryannn nick. If I can't ask the question, ignore it. hahaha
It's the male version, Ryan. I just was blanking out on coming up with a nick, so I just went with my name with some extra N's in there.

As far as drilling/sump, I won't be able to do that until I get another tank. The tank I will be using for probably the next year, to year and a half is a 29g that is kind of a loaner tank to me. But I can't drill it. Plus, the reason for the AC 110 mod is just to give me a little bit of extra Nitrate/trite scrubbing. I plan on breaking the AC down into 3 sections, if you are curious, one to hold phosban, one for floss, and on for LR and Chaeto.

And Serra, I saw that 55 Gallon on Craigslist. If I had the $200 cash right now I would go get it, that's a heck of a price. I have to do everything on a budget though, so my bigger purchases have to be spread out over a longer length of time than most people have to do, plus I just spent $300 this weekend on car stuff . Stupid cars always need SOMETHING done to them.