Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/13/2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Ding2daDong
Registered Member

Aqaurium and stand on carpet on 2nd floor?

Well before I build my stand tomorrow I wanted to know if there was a certain thing I had to do or buy that would make my tank level on carpet? I live with my parents and they dont really support my hobby much so it has to be in my room on the second floor. Its a 33g long with a 20g sump. Just checking if there were precautions because I dont want my tank leaning towards a certain side. Thanks

-Matt

Ding2daDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 01:21 AM   #2
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Use a level and a square... A lot

Make sure you are dealing with a level floor. Then build it on level ground. Once it's up, run a test fill and make sure it's still level

And tell your parents that maybe something productive like reloading ammunition or manufactiring meth might be a better hobby I'm sure they will love your reefing hobby then

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 01:24 AM   #3
TekCat
Registered Member

Just build geometrically sound stand. Set everything up and use wodden shims to level the whole thing. Beware that after you add water you might want to recheck level and readjust, because tank/stand might settle a bit more under full weight.

I am too living in apartment on third floor, and so far no problem with my 90G + 30G sump

TekCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 11:30 AM   #4
engine
Registered Member

Ive seen some people put a thin sheet of styrofoam between the stand and tank. Is this to help keep the tank level?

engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 11:40 AM   #5
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

engine, no it won't, the styro foam is for insulation purposes. Unless you "shaved" it to make the tank level. More of a hassle if you ask me.

Hop: Very well played out comment there. "And tell your parents that maybe something productive like reloading ammunition or manufactiring meth might be a better hobby I'm sure they will love your reefing hobby then" Quote of the year in my opinion. I don't think parents realize how much benefits a young man or woman can get from this hobby. I keeps me out of so much trouble, and teaches a very large amount of responsibility.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 11:46 AM   #6
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

The styrofoam is mainly to level any tiny imperfections in the top of the stand but should not be used as a primary level. It will help though. No need to shave it down as the weight of the water will compress where it needs to.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 11:54 AM   #7
engine
Registered Member

Well I might use a piece then. I have a aga stand for my 75gallon and its going on carpet on 2nd floor and I dont know how else to level the tank/stand

Old 01/13/2007, 12:04 PM   #8
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

I'm a cabinet installer and I can easily help you out. Get a level long enough to reach from the front right corner to the back left corner. Level along the front and shim where necessary. Next level front to back on both sides, shim where needed, then level the back. The key is as few shims as possible as you don't want to be relying solely on the shims. Once you get all the sides level, level from the front right corner to the back left corner, then the opposite. You should be perfect if you did all the sides correctly.

As stated before, don't rely solely on the styrofoam to level out your tank. Also, I should mention the styrofoam should be big enough so your tanks trim is sitting on it. Don't rest your glass on it as this will apply pressure to the bottom of the tank. Trim the styrofoam to the edges of the tank.

Once all this is done and you tank is sitting on the stand re-check your level on the top of the tank the same as you did with the stand.

Old 01/13/2007, 12:19 PM   #9
engine
Registered Member

since the shims are like little wood triangles (I belive), Im going to have this showing from the bottom of my stand?

Old 01/13/2007, 12:48 PM   #10
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

Yes those are shims.

You can either make your own shims if you have a miter saw or you can buy them from Lowes or Home Depot. The long, thin shims are the best.

To make your own with a miter saw, set the angle to 4 degrees and make your first cut. Flip the board towards the blade and make your second cut. Just keep flipping and cutting trying to keep the shims as thin as possible. I would use a soft pine 2x4 for the shims.

Once you get the tank leveled and full of water simply lift up on the shims using either your hand or a small ply bar and the should snap off easily at the base of the stand. The carpet should hide any exposed edges of the shims. If you have a piece that is still exposed, use a small chisel or flat head screwdriver and a hammer to chip away any showing peices.

Old 01/13/2007, 01:02 PM   #11
engine
Registered Member

thanks for help, this will def. be helpful