Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/14/2008, 07:07 PM   #26
OzGBR
Registered Member

I was rather hoping that aqw would come back and attempt to answer my question in order to get some dialogue going but anyway...

I should come clean, I am a hobbyiest living reasonable close to two of the aqw shops. (sthprt/labrador). I have no affiliation to ozyreefa nor to any other lfs. I am a hobbiest with a large fully stocked reef system.

I made the decision a couple of years ago to not spend a single cent in any of the aqw shops after having spent quite a lot in the past. I made this decision after deciding that the livestock (Fish and inverts) were far to risky to introduce to my system.

I have since found other shops in the SE Qld region that have much larger choices of higher quality livestock for very competitive prices and now shop there. Some are more than an hour's drive away.

I do occaisionally stick my head in the aqw shops (latest about a week ago) since they are located next to Supercheap Auto (Car part chain store), but have yet to see any recent changes that would me come back and hand over some of my hard earned cash.

I would suggest that ozyreefa do the same.

OzGBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 10:24 PM   #27
reef rico
Registered Member

OzGBR i was hoping if you have some frags we start some trading since I live in sydney. How about it?

reef rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2008, 01:42 AM   #28
suta4242
Registered Member

I think whenever economics meets animal welfare its hard to get a good result (for the animals I mean)...

I've kept saltwater for the better part of 20 years and I'm a sydneysider. What I've found is there are good and bad shops, here and overseas...

Its ironic that at a time when we know so much more about keeping marines that poor husbandry on a commercial scale still flourishes.I hope your gold coast chain doesn't come down here - as there are already a couple of dodgey sydney shops. Worse still its often customers - who vote with their wallets - that keep them in business.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2008, 11:23 PM   #29
ozyreefa
Registered Member

Wow, spent a couple of weeks abroad and i come back to look at my thread and blammo. Umm AQW if you look beside my name it says i am a ceramic tiler! Not an lfs owner hence the shirt you are going to track me down with, lol!!! Apart from every second ceramic tiler on the coast wearing the same shirt that i do, ( given to me and every1 else for free by the glue manufacturer, hahaha) I am sure it would be much easier to fix your tanks than chase me down my friend. I am still waiting for your educated answer on how you feed your nudibranches, or are you going to tell me that they eat brine shrimp like your staff did. You realize you have absolutely no foot to stand on with this issue. Looking foward to your reply AQW.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon reef tank, 80w actinic, 80w tri-phos, 250w MH, 40 gallon sump using coral rubble only, modified queen ts-2000 skimmer, 40kg live rock, 2x750 L/ph powerheads at opposing corners, main return pump 4500L/ph
ozyreefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2008, 11:37 PM   #30
ozyreefa
Registered Member

"as for corals yes we dont buy many and we keep them in a 5000 ltr syetem with a chiller at 24 deg with 7 x 150watt 14000 and 20000 k tubes and we turn over the water 16 times per hour"

If so then why does the thermometer on the tank say 27? I think it is plainly obvious from the pictures that you do not have the correct lighting for your corals, 2 x 20w tubes at the most (when both tubes in your stock tank hood are working). If you did have, as you say 1050w beaming down how would you fit them over the anemone tank that is pictured? This tanks dimensions are roughly 36" by 24", obviously not enough room to fit all those lights you mentioned let alone even a couple of them. You cannot fool the educated my friend.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon reef tank, 80w actinic, 80w tri-phos, 250w MH, 40 gallon sump using coral rubble only, modified queen ts-2000 skimmer, 40kg live rock, 2x750 L/ph powerheads at opposing corners, main return pump 4500L/ph
Old 01/24/2008, 11:42 PM   #31
ozyreefa
Registered Member

I know this is my third in a row but every time i look at this guys posts i find more contradictions, any1 see a tank in AQW's pictures that could possible hold 7x150w? I dont think soo..........
And if as you say that this store has been there for 12 years then why is evey single tank brand new as of 11/10/05 (which is clearly printed in the bottom right corner of your picture). This is becoming downright hilarious.

Old 01/27/2008, 11:02 PM   #32
Fishfirst
Registered Member

I guess what really gets me is... who cares if your cheap... I really would pay $10 more for a healthy fish. You emphasize how cheap you are but not on how well you take care of your stock... seems a bit fishy to me

Current Tank Info: Over 40,000 gallons of saltwater
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2008, 10:39 AM   #33
RichardS
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by suta4242
Its ironic that at a time when we know so much more about keeping marines that poor husbandry on a commercial scale still flourishes.
There is no irony in it. It costs money to care for livestock. Hobbyist's want cheap so they get it. That's what businesses do - give people what their wallets say they want, not what their mouths say they want.

RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2008, 07:51 PM   #34
aqw
Registered Member

hi

we do your best...

what can i say but come in and have a look.

regards kevin

aqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2008, 04:32 PM   #35
OzGBR
Registered Member

Kevin,

I am really dismayed at your last post.

Here you have an oppotunity to converse with former customers who are very much still in the hobby. I imagine that not too many businesses get the oppotunity to see where they are going wrong from a former customers point of view with the possibility of improving its service.

Instead, it appears that AQW is not interested in improvement and hence my wallet will stay firmly where it is.

OzGBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2008, 03:30 AM   #36
aqw
Registered Member

hi ozgbr

sorry but i dont get on here much as i am busy importing more marine fish

i only found out about this forum as another shop rang me and told me what was going on...

i dont think i can say what i need to on here and my posts would only come across wrong...

so i think i cant keep everyone happy sorry.....

but we sell a lot of fish to a lot of happy hobbyists

and my 50% sale will be on for the rest of the year ...

regards kevin

aqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2008, 12:42 PM   #37
Fishfirst
Registered Member

sounds like more unhappy than happy

Current Tank Info: Over 40,000 gallons of saltwater
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2008, 01:11 PM   #38
TIMMYE
Registered Member

Wow...... what more can you say?