Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/29/2006, 08:27 AM   #1
dannable
Registered Member

Upgrading in the near future - setup questions

I am going to upgrade my 35g fowlr to a 72-75 gallon "FOWLR" within the next 8-10 months. Here is my question.

If I have sufficient live rock, say over 100lbs could i just have a couple of good quality power heads and a protein skimmer. Do I need anything else? I guess I would need a HOB or something to run carbon? I use a canister on my current tank just to run carbon but I would like to get rid of this.

Naturally I am going to use the 35g as a QT tank and I will be using RO water for my setup.

Any advice on this new setup would be appreciated.

dannable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

Lot's of us run with the set up you describe. You are going to want a sump though... the benifits are just too great not to install one. So either get a reef ready 75 or get one drilled so a sump will be able to be installed under it. You should use RO/DI, and not just RO water... it's very different. RO still has the stuff we like to "taste" in water. We like it... fish don't.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:42 AM   #3
dannable
Registered Member

What are the advantages of a sump?

Old 11/29/2006, 10:36 AM   #4
dannable
Registered Member

I read up on a sump (i had an idea what they are). I am definetely going to consider it for my setup.

I am just scared about having a flood in my office. Is this a common problem with a sump??

Old 11/29/2006, 11:04 AM   #5
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

depends on the setup. I have never had a flood with mine. You'd want to keep enough water in the sump so if their was a power outage, and the return pump kicked off, the overflow is only going to empty whats in it and once it drops to a certain level no more water will be flowing downwards to the sump, as long as the sump isn't overfilled to begin with, the amount going in won't cause an accident. It sound scary at first, did with me as well, but the benefits are worth the itsy bitsy bit of added hazards. Besides, with a sump, you could add cheato, some sand, and a simple clamp light and you got a refugium. I would probably go with more rock than just 100lbs, thats a tad low. Sandbed is optional, but you may wanna start thinking about the livestock you wanna keep. I love my mandarin, but without a sandbed and well stocked refugium, he would suffer to the point of starvation. the best advice you will probably get is this: Get the good equipment known to work well now, don't settle for a crappy cheapie something or other, cause you'll only wind up having to replace it later. For instance, i've upgraded lighting 3 times now, cause I wanted to save myself some money at first. Same with my protien skimmer, i"ll be forking out more money for another better unit soon. This goes even with smaller items like heaters. I have yet to get a heater that i was happy with, and when/if I find one for my new tank, it'll wind up being like the 20th heater I've purchased....again trying to save money upfront. Also, If you have a local fish club in the area, look into em, see what kind of programs they have. My club here in oklahoma (COMAS - Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society) has an awesome donor program that has almost completely stocked my tank with corals at 0 cost to me. I simply return donor frags once my corals have grown some. Also get nice discounts at some local fish stores. And one last tid bit, check out the DIY forums here on reefcentral as well as some known good sites for info, such as meleves website. Alot of great equpiment can be built for minimal costs and work just as good. And I'm living proof that it doesn't take a genius or handyman to build some of it (I built my own 10g fuge, works like a gem) Just some thoughts for you to ponder over.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 11:44 AM   #6
dannable
Registered Member

Thanks papagimp. I am actually a member of MASK (marine aquarium society kitchener waterloo). This forum is a little more active so I usually post here instead of their forum. I will consult them at our next meeting.

I definetely agree to spend the money upfront and get good equipment. I figure I am in this for the long run so I am going to spend what is needed.

I have almost a year so I think I am going to plan out a sump.

Old 11/29/2006, 12:24 PM   #7
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

Tell the club about this site, COMAS has their forum here under the club forum section. It's where we all go, plus other oklahoma fish clubs use this site as well. makes it easy to talk to fellow okies about fish.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote