Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/30/2006, 11:32 AM   #1
JustinReef
Registered Member

Dying Colt Coral???

Does this look like its dying to you? I have had it for two days in my new 24G nanocube. It looked great in the store but by the time I got it home it looked terrible! It was very dark and looked like it was melting. I acclimated it slowly and once in the tank for about an hour, it started to open up again. The next day it looked like it was getting better and better, taller and more open. But this morning it looked like this...

Does it look like its dying to anyone? In this pic is is actually a bit better than how it looked first thing this morning before I turned the lights on. It seems to be getting a bit better since the lights have come on.

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:33 AM   #2
drummereef
Team RC Member

What are your water params?

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:43 AM   #3
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

My kenya tree and colt both do that from time to time. Wilt a bit and a few days later come right back to their full glory. If your water params are okay, and it's getting enough light and flow I would see what happens. It usually going to take more than a couple days for a new coral to adjust properly to it's new home and enviroment. uh, just to get this out of the way, you did let your new tank cycle completely first right?

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:53 AM   #4
JustinReef
Registered Member

Yeah it cycled completely. Right now there are no fish, waiting to make sure it is stable after adding the new corals and a fire shrimp. Water params are: Amm. 0, Nitrite, 0, Nitrate 10, PH 8.3, Calcium 450, phosphate >0.1, SG 1.021...Dont have any other tests. Must be more I need to test though?

Old 11/30/2006, 11:54 AM   #5
JustinReef
Registered Member

It has now been about an hour since the lights went on and it looks way better...Any reason it would look so horrible until the lights have been on for a whlie?

Old 11/30/2006, 11:57 AM   #6
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

Lot's of corals will retract their polyps at night. When I'm leaving for work bright and early and my lights are all off, everything is small and squished looking, polyps closed. That's normal coral behavior. Some like my bubble coral will produce sweepers mostly at night so I see no bubbles on him but lot's of tenticles. FWIW, my kenya tree is closed up like that everynight.

You wanna check the ALK of your tank too, get one of those test kits. And your salinity is at the bare minimum low end for non coral tanks. I'd get it up to 1.023 as a minimum, and do this slowly, sudden changes in salinity could stress the inverts out quite a bit.

If he's only doing this when the lights have been off for awhile, i wouldn't worry another minute over it. Give him time and you'll notice when he like to be up and about.

Old 11/30/2006, 12:01 PM   #7
JustinReef
Registered Member

Thanks for your advice everyone! I will slowly raise the Salinity. I do have a ALK test kit, just didnt test that this morning...Will do now. What is the ideal ALK?

Old 11/30/2006, 12:09 PM   #8
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

natural salt water runs 7-8dkh I believe, while for an aquarium you would do okay to keep it about 10-11dkh.

Old 11/30/2006, 12:48 PM   #9
drummereef
Team RC Member

Safe zone for salinity is 1.025. Alk should be between 8-11 dkh or 3-4 meq. Also to maintain these levels you should think about a dosing scheme that would work for you - like a 2 part additive. Here's a link to some good reading material on the subject.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote