Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/30/2006, 10:55 AM   #1
CGdoc
Registered Member

upgrade to my current system

I have a 125gal FO tank with a wet/dry filter and a protein skimmer. My tank has two overflows built into the tank. My wet/dry filter only has one drain hole. So I have both drain going into a tee and then into the wet/dry.

My protein skimmer is in the wet/dry. It pulls water from the wet/dry and puts it back in the wet/dry.

I want to start a reef tank but I want to get it set up correctly first.

Here’s a picture it's the best I can get I hope it helps.

Any advise would be great

john

CGdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:31 AM   #2
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

My first reef tank, I went and bought that same exact wet/dry. The 60gallon rated one. it will cause nitrates to go up, just being a wet/dry. Remove the bioballs, add more water (enought so when the return pump is off, the lowest end on the right isnt' overflowing. And use it as a basic sump. You can add some rubble rock (small pieces of live rock) to the bioball chamber, as long as their submerged. removing the eggracte and putting the rock on the bottom will let ya get morein there. Plus that would give pods a place to breed without too much worry. Like a mini refugium (which is what I used mine for)

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:31 AM   #3
drummereef
Team RC Member

I would definitely ditch the bioballs if you are starting a reef. Slowly, like 1/4 of them per week. Make sure you have enough live rock (1lb+/gallon) to take care of the bioload. Get rid of any filter pads/socks you might have - mechanical filtration is not needed in the reef. If you have a crushed coral substrate I would suggest swapping it with a fine aragonite sand too. Lighting and flow are main factors in reefs so you might need to upgrade there.

Can you list all of your equipment?

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:34 AM   #4
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
Make sure you have enough live rock (1lb+/gallon) to take care of the bioload. Get rid of any filter pads/socks you might have - mechanical filtration is not needed in the reef. If Lighting and flow are main factors in reefs so you might need to upgrade there.

Can you list all of your equipment?
I'd go more live rock, 1.5- 2 lbs per gallon would be better. mechanical filtration isn't completely neccessary but it can help some depending on what crittters you have or don't have for that matter. Lighting and flow are definatly main factors, but stability and consistancy are also to be considered. Don't want fluctuations in water parameters at all. Lot's of corals can adapt to lighting and flow but with fluctuations in Ph, Temp, Salinity, ect. ect. ect. you'll stress out delicate invertabrates. You'll probably also need additional powerheads as that mag pump probably won't cut it by itself for a 125g.

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 12:19 PM   #5
CGdoc
Registered Member

Ok for the equipment (just filtration)

125 pro clear aquatic systems wet/dry filter
12 Danner supreme mag drive pump
super skimmer by energy savers unlimited

I do not have any lighting yet...I will be looking into that soon.

Do i put sand in the bottem of the filter or just rock? When should I put it in there?

I don't believe I have crushed coral...but I'm not sure. Is there and easy way to tell?

I'll plan on removing the balls about 25% a week and I'll remove the floss all together.

I was thinking about 100 lbs of rock. But i guess I should go with 150 or so?

Old 11/30/2006, 12:20 PM   #6
CGdoc
Registered Member

BTW papapimp I see I stole your avitar

Guess I'm going to have and upgrade

Old 11/30/2006, 12:46 PM   #7
drummereef
Team RC Member

Fine aragonite is exactly what it means - fine. Grain size is somewhere between 0.5-1.5mm usually. Crushed coral looks exactly like coarsly crushed coral. You really only need 1- 1 1/2lb per gallon for the live rock. If you prefer more then get more. Most people do 1lb or a hair more.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Gobydood
Registered Member

Hey CGDoc,

If you want to check out how I converted my wet/dry filter then you are more than welcome here is the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=957682

I'm a noob, so hope you don't laugh too hard. One thing I learned was to make the last baffle smaller. I made it too tall and when the water flows over that baffle it creates a lot of bubbles. Hope I could help a little.

Lou

Gobydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 12:51 PM   #9
EWC88
Registered Member

papagimp so you say remove the bio-balls fill it up as high as you can as long as it doesn't over flow when power turns off, and were the crate is take it out and put live rock there. Keep that blue sponge in there with the rock or take that out to?? and how much live rock?

EWC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2006, 07:12 PM   #10
CGdoc
Registered Member

Godydood,

thanks...good info I'll keep it in mind