Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/14/2007, 07:14 PM   #1
lizard8578
Registered Member

curing live rock as it cures does the temp increase

Hi my name is jim im in the process of getting my tank started.right now i have 350 lbs of live rock curing in the tank.i have a mag 38 as my circulation pump,i have a mag 18 running my protein skimmer and 4 maxi jet 1200 hooked up to a wave maker.i set the thermostat on my heater at 78 degrees when i went to bed.this was the first night of having everythin running.
When i woke up i checked the tank to see how everything was going and noticed the temerature 84.7.Is all that heat being caused by my pumps and powerheads or is the rise in temperature because of the die off of the rock.I was hoping i wouldnt need to get a chiller,but if im getting this much heat from the pumps i cant imagine how high the temps will go once i turn on the lighting.(3-250 watt hatal halide)and (4 96 watt actinic)

lizard8578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2007, 07:52 PM   #2
scrmbld33
Registered Member

ive never heard of live rock causeing temp to rise, but i would double check the temp with a seperate thermometer, just incase its off, if they both read the same and just your pumps are causing the heat, then its chillerland for you

Current Tank Info: 90gal salt, 2 250mh 14k hamiltons 2 110 actinic, 127lbs LR,50lbs tonga 70lbs indonesia 7lbs tonga branch asm g3
scrmbld33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2007, 08:04 PM   #3
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

Could aslo be a faulty thermostat on the heater. I had a heater that was set at 78 but never shut off. Tank temps kept rising and I realized the light on the heater was always on.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2007, 09:12 PM   #4
aquarius77
Moved On

Setting a heaters thermostat to 78 degrees does not mean it will heat up to 78. adjust it down untill you get the desired temp. Maybe look into a new heater before you stock it.

aquarius77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 12:14 AM   #5
reefshadow
Registered Member

I was gonna ask if you had a mag drive and then I reread your post

While Danner makes an excellent pump they are notoriously hot.

I would simply add a fan to start with and then see where you are in terms of temp. Amazing what a fan can do to control heat!

Current Tank Info: 30 Deep Blue shallow mixed rimless, MP10, Ecoxotic LED's, SCA 301 skimmer.
reefshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 11:30 AM   #6
lizard8578
Registered Member

i unplugged everything last night before bed to let it cool down overnight.I turned all the pumps and powerheads back on and left the heater unplugged to see how much heat my pumps produce without it.I think i realized what the problem was?The sensor for the thermostat was pulled out of the tank and was reading the air temp of my home which is substantially cooler than the water in the tank so the heater kept running constantly.Or i could of pulled it out when i unplugged the heater.Well see.

thanks,for your helpful advice,jim

lizard8578 is offline   Reply With Quote