Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/30/2008, 08:36 PM   #76
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i went to the club frag swap today with the intensions of coming home with 1 or 2 acros to see how they do in my tank. my other stony corals are beat up and may take awhile to recover so i wanted to try out some healthy ones. well, i gained many nice free frags and small colonys and i think i came home with 7 or 8 new corals. i really hope the tank is stable for these. i got a ORA tricolor, huge green milli, several birdsnest, a blue acro, echino, few montiporas, and some unknown leathers/stonys.

i have a few pictures a friend of mine took several days ago.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2008, 11:43 AM   #77
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

took 3 more pictures today. i hope everyone has noticed the pictures load faster and are slightly better quality (depending what camera i use). i have finally figured out how to resize my pictures lol

anyways here are a few.
here i want to grow some birdsnest on top of my monti cap. it will be interesting to see how this turns out. i have seen this done with an acropora.

here is my new orange monti, i was told it was a cap, but it doesnt look like one. i also have another branch of birdsnest added. then my acro. tenius up above.

then, here is what i hope will be my centerpiece someday. my tricolor acro frag. it doesnt have much color unfortunately, but you can see the green polyps. paid 10$ for this too, im excited.

Old 04/01/2008, 02:32 PM   #78
backinthegame37
Registered Member

You have a cool looking tank...Just curious why you chose not to use any substate. Looks really nice, though.

backinthegame37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2008, 05:37 PM   #79
backinthegame37
Registered Member

I've been using a seaclone on my 37 for about one week now. It takes a lot of fine tuning and some mods to get it right and now I can usually get a half a cup of wet skimmate per day. I may replace it eventually but for now it is working.

backinthegame37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2008, 10:03 PM   #80
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by backinthegame37
You have a cool looking tank...Just curious why you chose not to use any substate. Looks really nice, though.
i have a modded maxijet behind the overflow "pillar" that is producing most of the flow. due to the size of the tank, sand wouldnt have worked very well. i have thought about it many times though.

Old 05/01/2008, 10:49 PM   #81
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

NEW PHOTOS! things have returned to normal for me. corals are growing again finally. i started feeding rotifeast, and my sponges are now growing too, plus my feather duster population is exploding!

Old 05/01/2008, 10:50 PM   #82
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

here is a purple sponge that is growing nicely.

Old 07/13/2008, 11:28 AM   #83
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

well, its been some time since i updated this thread. unfortunately i have lost most of my montipora to nudibranch. im trying to save the frags i have left, but i think i'll be done with monti for awhile.

i have also switched my bulb to a xm 20k 175W.

well here are some pictures.

to start, lets get someone sea sick with this crazy picture.

Old 07/13/2008, 11:29 AM   #84
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Old 11/14/2008, 03:47 AM   #85
dendro982
Registered Member

I would like to ask you about blueberry gorgonian keeping.
Can you post photo of your tank with drawn flow pattern (MS Paint in Accessories will work), what pump are you using, describe flow, when it reaches blueberry gorgonian, are polyps bent, temperature, salinity, alkalinity, what salt are you using, with added Mg and Ca or not, what food and how fed, how many times a day, daily amount of food and filtration, capable to handle that? Anything else to pay attention to?

dendro982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 11:27 PM   #86
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
I would like to ask you about blueberry gorgonian keeping.
Can you post photo of your tank with drawn flow pattern (MS Paint in Accessories will work), what pump are you using, describe flow, when it reaches blueberry gorgonian, are polyps bent, temperature, salinity, alkalinity, what salt are you using, with added Mg and Ca or not, what food and how fed, how many times a day, daily amount of food and filtration, capable to handle that? Anything else to pay attention to?
i dont really know what the flow patern is in the tank. all i know is its strong. the polyps are all bent in one direction because of the flow, and i dont think this is good for it. i have no clue what the parameters are, but the SPS are all growing fine. i use a mix of salts to get balanced parameters in the new water. i have watched this coral eat cyclopeeze, brine shrimp, rotifers (feeding response, not sure if consumed), frozen brine shrimp and whatever else that fits. i used to feed cyclopeeze nightly, and i had growth in the coral. i stopped feeding so much and growth has stopped but it hasnt receded at all.

Old 11/15/2008, 07:01 AM   #87
dendro982
Registered Member

Thanks! A more: can you make photos in progress, to see new growth, to know possible rate of growth, and photos of feeding response, like this for another gorgonian:

and the photo of the food inside polyps, if this possible.
I never seen this with my blueberry, but it was damaged during shipping. Was yours not damaged, when you bought it? If damaged too, any recovery growth?

You know, that there are not too much useful information about blueberry gorgonian on the web, I trying to understand it better.
Appreciate the help.

Old 11/15/2008, 10:15 AM   #88
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

if you feed heavy it does grow, about the same as any coral i guess. i dont have a camera that could capture feeding. after feeding a ton of cyclopeeze, i can typically see more red coloring inside the polyps. my gorgonian was shipped in as a big colony, and then fragged, as i didnt want to pay a lot of money for it. a few people showed interest in the larger colony and we agreed to have it fragged.

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
Thanks! A more: can you make photos in progress, to see new growth, to know possible rate of growth, and photos of feeding response, like this for another gorgonian:

and the photo of the food inside polyps, if this possible.
I never seen this with my blueberry, but it was damaged during shipping. Was yours not damaged, when you bought it? If damaged too, any recovery growth?

You know, that there are not too much useful information about blueberry gorgonian on the web, I trying to understand it better.
Appreciate the help.

Old 11/16/2008, 07:03 AM   #89
dendro982
Registered Member

Thank you!

5g - sea apples
NC12 - tube anemone
20g L - frogfish
125g - filefishes and lion

Current Tank Info: 6 BB tanks: NPS, filter feeders and odd fish. LPS, sps and clams too