Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/30/2007, 11:11 AM   #1
sugartooth
Reef bully

Will rinsing hands w/ diluted Povidone Iodine prevent tank-tank transmission?

Hello,
I have several tanks I work on in the basement. There is no bathroom or sink in the basement yet so washing hands in between would result in running upstairs at least a dozen times during an hour or so.

If I have a bucket of providone iodine w/RO DI water and I dunked my hands in them before moving on to the next tank, would that be sufficient to prevent tank to tank disease transmission?

If not, anything I can use to sanitize in between? (nets, buckets, containers, etc)
Thanks very much.

sugartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 12:19 PM   #2
ReefKeepersCorner
Moved On

Wow. I never even thought about what may be on your hands while going tank to tank.

I'll just wipe my arm off with a dry towel and away I go into a different system.

I would think that a "dip" in iodine may help. I would dry hands well also. For any equipment there is a product called "netsoak". Don't know how well it works, but it is out there.

Hopefully you don't have to QT!

ReefKeepersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 12:23 PM   #3
-=Efrain=-
Registered Member

A pair of Tank gloves for every tank??

Current Tank Info: 125 GL, Mixed Reef, Yellow, Hippo, Sailfin, Powder Blue, Kole Tangs, 2 Onyx Clowns, 4 Firefish, Midas Blenny, Malenarus & Yellow Coris Wrasse 3 250W MH 14K DE, 250Lbs LR, 150 Lbs LS, 2 Korilias 4s, 45g Sump/Fug, Carbon Reactor, Cal Reactor, Skimmer
-=Efrain=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 12:26 PM   #4
sugartooth
Reef bully

Thanks 444!
Yes, I've been wiping from tank to tank, culture to culture, etc. I also have separate buckets and siphons for each QT, but share where I think things are healthy. I think that's a disaster waiting to happen (maybe in my head).

But now I have too many QT and nursery systems that I'm freaked out about going tank to tank with my messy drippings. (freshly made water bucket from brute can touching wet tanks, blah blah and on)

Since everything is kept in a relatively confined space, it's a matter of time before there's a breach! right?

I'll look into that net dip. For now I've been keeping these nets in povidone iodine in a bucket and taking them out after a day to dry. Is that okay? I dunno.

Old 12/30/2007, 12:30 PM   #5
sugartooth
Reef bully

Thanks Efrain. I do use latex/nitrile gloves. It's good for when I'm medicating, or if my hands aren't clean and I put on a pair of gloves to touch stuff.

That's a lot of gloves for dedicated pair for each system. If I can keep them separate and not touch anything else, I think that would be good too.

Old 12/30/2007, 04:04 PM   #6
pescadero
Moved On

i don't know about using surgical scrub solutions to sterilize your hands as you go from tank to tank. if you're not using a copious freshwater rinse after sticking your hands in the antibacterial solution, then i'd be concerned about the potential for antibacterial effects of any residual betadine or hibiclens that might be left on your hands. both povidone/iodine and chlorhexadine are exceptionally good antibacterial agents -- if any of it gets into your tank it might end up doing more harm than good.

when i'm performing simple tasks, i routinely use a generous freshwater hand rinse before and after my hands to into a tank. when i'm working in a tank i leave the water in the washtub running, and whenever my hands come out of the tank they go right into the stream of freshwater until they're well rinsed. although i use a cloth towel for drying when i'm done, i always use paper towels while i'm working, so that i don't end up using the cloth towel to transfer contaminants from tank to tank.

of course, if i'm working with any sort of chemicals that would provide problems if the tanks were cross-contaminated, its time for rubber gloves.

Last edited by pescadero; 12/30/2007 at 04:09 PM.
pescadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 04:17 PM   #7
sugartooth
Reef bully

Thanks very much pescadero. I agree with you, but I want to try to find some sort of solution that won't cause me to:

- Use a pack of paper towels every few days
- have to run to the bathroom to wash my hands so many times
- use many dedicated pieces of equipment- no storage space for them all.

I thought a dip into povidone iodine in a bucket, then rinse in a bucket of freshwater could work. But I found a pretty good compromise here and in the disease forum thus far.

The reason is that I would have a lot of waste (used paper towels, disposable pipettes, disposable cups, etc.) since I have many systems. I just want to be able to hop back and forth for time sake, instead of finishing one tank before moving on to the next system or culture (that would take much longer).

In total, there are 10 independent 'systems' that I need to keep clean that include cultures, nursery, hospital, and QT in addition to the displays.

Old 12/30/2007, 04:27 PM   #8
pescadero
Moved On

i hear you! i go through LOTS of paper towels! but IMO waste generation is a necessary evil if you're trying to avoid cross contamination.

i think that a betadine dip would be a great idea as long as you have a good rinse afterward. the problem is that as soon as you pull your hands out of the betadine dip and put them into the freshwater bucket, the freshwater bucket is now contaminated with betadine. every time that you use the freshwater rinse bucket, the betadine that comes off of your hands goes into the freshwater rinse bucket where it will accumulate. after the first rinse the net effect will be that you're just moving your hands from a concentrated betadine solution to a less concentrated betadine solution. every time you re-use the FW rinse water, the amount of betadine in it continues to increase. essentially, you're rinsing your hands in a dilute betadine solution that becomes more concentrated every time that you use it.

in contrast, sticking your hands under the faucet puts them on a totally betadine-free rinse, and there's no residual betadine on your hands to go into the tank. that's better, IMO.

Last edited by pescadero; 12/30/2007 at 04:32 PM.
pescadero is offline   Reply With Quote