Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/06/2008, 11:31 AM   #1
psyrob
Registered Member

flood damage to tank stand

The room I have my 60 gallon tank in flooded Friday night with the big rainstorm we had. Standing water was about an inch deep in the carpeted room, but we were able to pump it out in a couple of hours. I am tearing out the rug and will replace the bottom 12 inches of drywall in the room. What about my tank stand?

I really don't want to have to drain the tank, move it and replace the rug underneath, but it feels like a bad idea to not do anything. The tank stand is made of wood, and the floor of it is just particle board I think. Does anyone have experience with a flood and a tank stand on a rug? DId you bite the bullet, move the tank and replace the rug? Did you throw out your stand? My big concern is mold, or that the stand might be weakened and need to be replaced. Moving the tank would be a big hassle (70 pounds of live rock, lots of well established softies and LPS) in time and effort, but I want to do the right thing...

psyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 11:33 AM   #2
ccorpse27
Registered Member

You'll have to move the stand anyway if you're replacing the carpet.

ccorpse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 11:40 AM   #3
psyrob
Registered Member

Your right, but I might tile the room instead of putting in more carpet...Maybe I'll make lemonade out of lemons, buy a bigger tank, put it in a different spot in the room and transfer the live rock and all to the new tank...

Old 01/06/2008, 11:51 AM   #4
iwishtofish
Registered Member

The wonder of every disaster that involves a tank is the miraculous appearance of an excuse to get a bigger one!

Good luck with your situation, psyrob.

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Roy G. Biv
Premium Member

I would say the particle board is shot, but the wood of the stand has got to be good. My friends live in a flood area and have built shelves in the basement out of pine. The legs of the shelf system always get wet and still support the shelves above. So if this was a one time flood then I would guess it would be ok. But if you need an excuse to setup a bigger tank then the stand is shot

Roy G. Biv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 01:08 PM   #6
chrismunn
Registered Member

sorry to hear about the flood in your house, that sucks man! if you do decide to leave your tank in place, it might be a good idea to spray the water soaked wood (after it dries) with copper napthenate to keep dry rot from destroying the wood. you can find it at home depot, or any hardware store, probably in the lumber section somewhere. it comes in a spray can and is called copper green. just be care full not to get it in the tank as it will kill everything, and the fumes are very harmfull as well!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 01:48 PM   #7
SimilanRocks
Registered Member

I would move the stand and do ceramic tile or hardwood floor in the area. So I wouldn't need to worry about water on carpet when doing water change, or if it ever flood again.

SimilanRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2008, 02:10 PM   #8
psyrob
Registered Member

Thanks for the input...I just am not excited about breaking the tank down, putting everything in buckets, moving the tank a few feet, then putting everything back in. We moved a year and a half ago, and even tho I moved the tank without losing a single coral or fish, it wasn't real fun. I should just stop whining and move it, tile the floor and have it be over with...