Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/15/2008, 05:50 PM   #1
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

Maxi Jet 600 Heating the Water

I have a 10 Gal. FOWLR and a Maxi Jet 600. The powerhead heats my water to 82 deg. I would like to have the temp. at 80 deg. I am thinking of placing the pump externally, and I would like to know what Nano Reefers do for this situation if not using a chiller.
Thanks.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. / Sump / Skimmer / 65 Lbs. LR / 2 Cleaner Shrimp / Firefish / Bangi Cardinal / Pearly Jawfish / 3 - Yellow Clown Gobies / Yellow Wrasse / Hermits
mmedeiros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Flipper62
Premium Member

I'm not sure if you had this same question over in the " New To Hobby "

It turns out that on the Maxi Jet website & box, it says that it can be used submersable or external. I still dont think that it can be fully out of the water, just the top part of pump. Or it will suck air. The inlet part twists off for cleaning & is not sealed.

However.....82 deg is still an ok temp

If todays automobile had followed the same development as the computer, A Rolls Royce would cost $100.00. It would get a million miles per gallon, but it would explode once a year killing everyone inside."

Current Tanks... 90 gal Reef... My awesome Office BioCube....( 180 was on hold ..no time ) ... The 180 gal has been sold...Yay..yay..yay.
Hobby Experience: 19 years Reef...22 years FW

Last edited by Flipper62; 11/15/2008 at 06:37 PM.
Flipper62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 07:00 PM   #3
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

Yea your right but the manual states that this manual does not cover the pump for external aplications, and that a kit must be purchased. Mabey the kit has a seal or o-ring for this reason. The mfg. website is under construction.
Thanks again.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. / Sump / Skimmer / 65 Lbs. LR / 2 Cleaner Shrimp / Firefish / Bangi Cardinal / Pearly Jawfish / 3 - Yellow Clown Gobies / Yellow Wrasse / Hermits
Old 11/15/2008, 07:52 PM   #4
xskyzx
Registered Member

get koralianano or k1. or you can add lil fan

xskyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 07:53 PM   #5
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

I just looked in the manual and the inlet does have an o-ring and is sealed. I am now going to get off my *** and go hook one up.

Mike

Old 11/15/2008, 07:59 PM   #6
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

Does the koralia nano not give off much heat.

Mike

Old 11/16/2008, 12:08 AM   #7
pledosophy
Registered Member

I have not noticed any heat from the koralia pump, but I never noticed one from a MJ either.

IME I have hooked up a MJ 900 externally from a tank straight out of the box. Just connected some hose. I find heating up the hose with a lighter helps it not to leak on the MJ's output.

JME

Old 11/16/2008, 04:29 AM   #8
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'm searching now for 360 deg. fittings. looking for something that looks like the 360 deg. inlet tube on a Aqua Clear 20.

Go Red Sox !

Mike