Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/29/2013, 08:14 PM   #151
Tszat
Registered Member

I liked the warehouse Xzotic Aquatic World use to be in. I feel like they offered A LOT more there than they do in their current location and it's just not worth the drive for us anymore (40mins).

Tszat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2013, 06:08 PM   #152
danielp
Registered Member

Highest props for two stores, Reefwise at Lisle, can't beat their fish selections as well as coral selection. Second is Aquapros at Glen Ellyn, lots of frags with fantastic prices, and both the owner and his employee (forgot their names) two great people to deal with and talk to. Definitely gonna go back to those stores in the future.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2013, 06:29 PM   #153
JB63
Registered Member

I used to like reefwise, but lately not too friendly with kids. Last 2-3 times I went there I heard a lot of don't do that, don't do this ... Yet the kids did not do anything. Maybe I'll wait until they're much older but ... I felt not welcome there anymore. Part of this hobby is to tour the stores, check all new items, then go home with a specimen or two ... Lately in that store I often get asked if they can get something for me ... Kinda like buy something or get out ... This might be ok for others, but not sure I'll go back. Good luck to owner though as he's got some outstanding selection.

JB63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2013, 08:01 PM   #154
baconfingers
Registered Member

i've been to Beyond the Reef in schaumburg several times just looking at their fish. they have an awesome 210 display reef up front with a DSB. fun to look at the stuff move around in it.

they're building 2 more giant displays in the front window (210+ each, reefs) i think. i didn't ask what's in them.

they have a good selection and lots of frags.

in talking to staff there, they told me they are more interested in selling livestock than tanks. i'm looking for a tank atm. they said they could special order one but i'm looking for a bit more assitance than they gave me.

Old 12/06/2013, 06:18 PM   #155
new2r1
Registered Member

+1 for reef wise, great selection of corals and Mike was very good to talk to as well as helpful

Old 12/10/2013, 09:47 AM   #156
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconfingers View Post
i've been to Beyond the Reef in schaumburg several times just looking at their fish. they have an awesome 210 display reef up front with a DSB. fun to look at the stuff move around in it.

they're building 2 more giant displays in the front window (210+ each, reefs) i think. i didn't ask what's in them.

in talking to staff there, they told me they are more interested in selling livestock than tanks. i'm looking for a tank atm. they said they could special order one but i'm looking for a bit more assitance than they gave me.
The new giant tanks have fake coral inserts in them. They have a lot of cool looking fish stocked in them though.

kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2013, 10:02 AM   #157
JB63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
The new giant tanks have fake coral inserts in them. They have a lot of cool looking fish stocked in them though.
The reason for the fake corals is so that the tank can be 'medicated' when needed. Many other stores do that. Corals and copper don't go hand-n-hand ...

Old 12/15/2013, 04:32 PM   #158
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB63 View Post
I used to like reefwise, but lately not too friendly with kids. Last 2-3 times I went there I heard a lot of don't do that, don't do this ... Yet the kids did not do anything. Maybe I'll wait until they're much older but ... I felt not welcome there anymore. Part of this hobby is to tour the stores, check all new items, then go home with a specimen or two ... Lately in that store I often get asked if they can get something for me ... Kinda like buy something or get out ... This might be ok for others, but not sure I'll go back. Good luck to owner though as he's got some outstanding selection.
I can see your frustration, but try to understand it from their perspective. They have wide open tubs full of curing live rock and thousands of dollars worth of livestock. One drop of candy or an unclean hand in the tank could possibly kill hundreds of dollars worth of livestock. I'm sure you would be just as nervous/worried if you were in their shoes. Not saying they should constantly talk down to the kids, but I can understand their worries.

I'm a big fan of reefwise - I go to school just down the street so I'm always stopping by. The one thing that I don't like is that Mike often follows you around trying to point out "good deals" or "things he likes" in attempts to woo customers. Also, he does not know prices too well and constantly has to ask Brian (which gets tedious when Brian is with other customers). Personally, I like to look around by myself.

Other than that, I love the store and his livestock is phenomenal. My jaw drops everytime he gets a different hybrid in or rare fish!

>120 Gallon Reef<
Fish- Multicolor Angel, Pair of Clowns, Purple Tang, Blue Spotted Jawfish

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, 12 gallon nano
LedZep fan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2013, 08:26 AM   #159
JB63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep fan2 View Post
I can see your frustration, but try to understand it from their perspective. They have wide open tubs full of curing live rock and thousands of dollars worth of livestock. One drop of candy or an unclean hand in the tank could possibly kill hundreds of dollars worth of livestock. I'm sure you would be just as nervous/worried if you were in their shoes. Not saying they should constantly talk down to the kids, but I can understand their worries.
I fully understand your point ... that is why I said maybe I'll hold up until the kids are grown up, not that my kids are well behaved, but just not to make the owner 'nervous'. Still though, other stores (with enclosed items) tend to be more tolerant of kids. That is why the next time I stop by I'll be there by myself only.

Old 12/30/2013, 04:25 PM   #160
Irshhooligan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB63 View Post
I fully understand your point ... that is why I said maybe I'll hold up until the kids are grown up, not that my kids are well behaved, but just not to make the owner 'nervous'. Still though, other stores (with enclosed items) tend to be more tolerant of kids. That is why the next time I stop by I'll be there by myself only.
I just had a great experience with Reefwise. I brought my three kids (all under the age of 7) and wife to checkout the store for the first time on Sunday. They were more than accommodating, they brought over stools for my kids to stand on and look into the coral tanks. I thought this was beyond what they had to do. I didn't buy anything that day, but I'll go back soon to buy.

Irshhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2013, 05:49 PM   #161
JB63
Registered Member

[QUOTE=LedZep fan2;22180730] ... One drop of candy or an unclean hand in the tank could possibly kill hundreds of dollars worth of livestock ...QUOTE]

Not sure this is 'absolutely' true ... I visited a fish exhibit in Hanover (Germany) few years back (It's downtown by the train station, within walking distance from the Central Train Station), and they had an open 'channel' with few fish, several inverts and plenty of cleaner fish. The channel was like 2 square feet across by 30 ft long. The idea behind for the exhibit was to have visitors come in, put their hands in the tanks, and let the cleaner shrimp go after them. The shrimp somehow went after my nails (and possibly some dead skin). Everyone was inserting their hands and 'playing' with the cleaners, yet there was no 'wash your hands station' BEFORE the exhibit. Either the exhibit they had very aggressive filtration (or water changes) or somehow the animals are more 'tolerant' than we're led to believe ...

I reckon this is off topic and maybe should start a dedicated thread elsewhere ...

Old 01/07/2014, 05:55 PM   #162
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

[QUOTE=JB63;22226862]
Quote:
... One drop of candy or an unclean hand in the tank could possibly kill hundreds of dollars worth of livestock ...QUOTE]

Not sure this is 'absolutely' true ... I visited a fish exhibit in Hanover (Germany) few years back (It's downtown by the train station, within walking distance from the Central Train Station), and they had an open 'channel' with few fish, several inverts and plenty of cleaner fish. The channel was like 2 square feet across by 30 ft long. The idea behind for the exhibit was to have visitors come in, put their hands in the tanks, and let the cleaner shrimp go after them. The shrimp somehow went after my nails (and possibly some dead skin). Everyone was inserting their hands and 'playing' with the cleaners, yet there was no 'wash your hands station' BEFORE the exhibit. Either the exhibit they had very aggressive filtration (or water changes) or somehow the animals are more 'tolerant' than we're led to believe ...

I reckon this is off topic and maybe should start a dedicated thread elsewhere ...
This may be true, but I am sure the exhibit did not house thousands of dollars worth of coral (and very sensitive coral at that). Maybe just cleaner shrimp. Also, a system in an exhibit like that would be triple the size of what Brian has - and tons of carbon running at the same time to counteract anything that enters the system. I'm sure they thought about it all prior to building such an exhibit. Reefwise on the other hand didn't. His system isn't meant for customer interaction and handling.

It may not be completely right to say that an entire system can perish from a single dirty hand or some candy, but I don't think Brian at Reefwise wants to take that chance.

>120 Gallon Reef<

Old 01/13/2014, 09:09 PM   #163
GQuinn
Registered Member

Is there any stores in the Chicago area that have furniture quality stands and canopies on the floor for sale 36"X18" or 48"X18" or do they all have to special order them? I am not from the area (about 2 hours away) or I would check myself.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2014, 11:18 PM   #164
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
Is there any stores in the Chicago area that have furniture quality stands and canopies on the floor for sale 36"X18" or 48"X18" or do they all have to special order them? I am not from the area (about 2 hours away) or I would check myself.
Give Matt at Sho Tank a call. He builds quality stands and canopies. I'm sure if you told him what you'd like he'd hook you up. I've seen his work in person and it's incredible

>120 Gallon Reef<

Old 01/14/2014, 01:55 PM   #165
wyattroa
Registered Member

Stopped in at Tropi-Quatics in Lombard today and man that place is just falling apart. No coral selection, no fish selection, the rugs on the floors are saturated in water as if the tanks are leaking, no invert selection, tanks are empty, and tanks are down. I remember when this place was the place to be and the place to go.

wyattroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2014, 01:00 PM   #166
BrianCash
Registered Member

Quote:
Give Matt at Sho Tank a call. He builds quality stands and canopies. I'm sure if you told him what you'd like he'd hook you up. I've seen his work in person and it's incredible
2nd this, Matt does great work been going to him for years.

BrianCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2014, 11:42 AM   #167
scubadan206
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconfingers View Post

I'm seriously thinking about learning to build custom acrylic tanks. Want to be a guinea-pig????Not exactly in Chicago, but does anyone know of Aquatics Unlimited in Milwakee[Hwy100 greenfield]. They have been doing the saltwater thing for 30-40 years.
Dan

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2014, 10:26 AM   #168
YSR50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Stopped in at Tropi-Quatics in Lombard today and man that place is just falling apart. No coral selection, no fish selection, the rugs on the floors are saturated in water as if the tanks are leaking, no invert selection, tanks are empty, and tanks are down. I remember when this place was the place to be and the place to go.
They are/were redoing their salt section, as well as adding on a bit to the fresh. Haven't been in there in a week or two but I think it should be finished soon

YSR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2014, 03:38 PM   #169
Miguk82
Registered Member

I'm new to saltwater and Mike from Aqua Pros has been extremely helpful in helping me get everything going. He seems to be a genuine nice guy and doesn't mind answering all of my newb questions. The prices are a bit better than some of the larger places I have been to so far. Thanks guys!

Miguk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 01:54 PM   #170
Quiverfull
Registered Member

I will be staying near O'Hare for the weekend any decent sps stores nearby?

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2014, 08:33 AM   #171
snorvich
Team RC member

The closest one that I am aware of is Living Sea 811 W Devon Ave Park Ridge 847-698-7258, S 1130-4, M-T 1130-8, F 1130-9, Sa 1130-6

Old 04/30/2014, 07:29 PM   #172
fit
Registered Member

Immediately West of O'Hare are Underwater Worlds as well as Xzotic. Neither are open on Sunday. Both are good places.

Living Sea is East of O'Hare. Open on Sunday. Also a very good place.

Last edited by fit; 04/30/2014 at 07:53 PM.
fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 03:45 PM   #173
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

I usually dont post bad things about places but I thought I would share my recent adventure with reefwise that led to me loosing all my fish...

I stopped in there I'd say a month ago and picked up 3 cromis's I was told they were fully QT'd from one of the guys then the other said they only had the fish about 4 days so which is it..... Ended up buying 3 of them and after getting them home and in my tank one went missing in the first 15 minutes of having it. The next day in the evening a few of my fish had signs of ich, now mind you my tank and livestock was healthy the only change were these 3 new fish in over a month.

We started a ich treatment and by the end of the next night we lost all fish except my clown and one of our firefish, the next day all fish were dead. $400 in fish dead in days after adding these fish.

Everytime I went in there they quoted me high prices on the polyp frags like $55 for a 15ish polyp frag of watermelons which should sell for no more than a buck a polyp. Their Ricordia is WAY over priced. The one time I went in there looking for a return pump he said he didnt have any I asked if he could order one and he said it wasnt worth it to him to order me just 1 thing. I should of stopped there and never came back but I figured I would try again. The day we bought the 3 cromis I was told 2 different prices on a fish when I asked about a few others and said wait how much was this one again.... Lesson learned I wont be shopping with them any more and I hope anyone doing business there really thinks twice about what they are purchasing.

Current tank: 45g acrylic cube, Sunpod 150w 14k bulb
Current Fish: Hey I gots some fish..
TheReefNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 04:00 PM   #174
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefNinja View Post
I usually dont post bad things about places but I thought I would share my recent adventure with reefwise that led to me loosing all my fish...

I stopped in there I'd say a month ago and picked up 3 cromis's I was told they were fully QT'd from one of the guys then the other said they only had the fish about 4 days so which is it..... Ended up buying 3 of them and after getting them home and in my tank one went missing in the first 15 minutes of having it. The next day in the evening a few of my fish had signs of ich, now mind you my tank and livestock was healthy the only change were these 3 new fish in over a month.

We started a ich treatment and by the end of the next night we lost all fish except my clown and one of our firefish, the next day all fish were dead. $400 in fish dead in days after adding these fish.

Everytime I went in there they quoted me high prices on the polyp frags like $55 for a 15ish polyp frag of watermelons which should sell for no more than a buck a polyp. Their Ricordia is WAY over priced. The one time I went in there looking for a return pump he said he didnt have any I asked if he could order one and he said it wasnt worth it to him to order me just 1 thing. I should of stopped there and never came back but I figured I would try again. The day we bought the 3 cromis I was told 2 different prices on a fish when I asked about a few others and said wait how much was this one again.... Lesson learned I wont be shopping with them any more and I hope anyone doing business there really thinks twice about what they are purchasing.
You didn't quarantine and you're bashing the LFS. hmmm......

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 04:14 PM   #175
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
You didn't quarantine and you're bashing the LFS. hmmm......
not everybody has a quarantine set up if I buy a fish from a fish store and they tell me its healthy I expect it to be healthy. I have been in this for over 12 years and have never had an issue.

Current tank: 45g acrylic cube, Sunpod 150w 14k bulb
Current Fish: Hey I gots some fish..
TheReefNinja is offline   Reply With Quote