Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/15/2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Willie_6
Registered Member

DT's Oyster Eggs

Anyone use this stuff? My LFS was pushing this stuff big time over the weekend. He said corals and fish all go nuts for the stuff? Anyone know about it?

Current Tank Info: 75 gal fish and rock, 432w 8 bulb T-5 lights, Deltec Skimmer MCE 600, 25 gal Fuge/Sump, Ro/Di from Buckeye Supply.
Willie_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 07:52 AM   #2
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

IME, fish aren't going to eat it ... too small [unless you have pod-sized fish ].

Coral-wise, it is a pretty good food. Can easily pollute the tank, given you need to feed tiny amounts ... but so can any other food.

Personally, there's a lot of foods that corals can eat [esp when you make them the right particle size IMO] ... not sure one is amazingly `better', though this is one of a few that I feed that seems to sometimes cause a strong feeding response out of a few corals.

Like many things in this hobby - a good food, but not the only one [I prefer a DIY seafood mix, personally ... no LFS markup].

Current Tank Info: 58g stony reef [250w10k, 250w 20k MH, 2x vho act, Octopus150, 6060 + 6000] ; 60g mixed tub
MiddletonMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Willie_6
Registered Member

Anyone else?

Current Tank Info: 75 gal fish and rock, 432w 8 bulb T-5 lights, Deltec Skimmer MCE 600, 25 gal Fuge/Sump, Ro/Di from Buckeye Supply.
Willie_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 09:58 PM   #4
polyppetey
Registered Member

My leather coral seems to like it as well as my GSP, my ricordia reacts to it as if it is feeding. So I guess it works. Your protien skimmer will need to be turned off while feeding though.

polyppetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:55 PM   #5
jumpincactus
Registered Member

One of the cheapest ways to feed your corals is blast your rock with a turkey baster once a week. The detritus and other DOC is a good way to feed corals. Other wise know as reef snow. I know some will argue this point but the truth is I have read much from those who are respected in this hobby and the simple truth is corals will and do get nutrition from balsting your rocks.

Now I am in no way saying this is all corals require but it does help............

Current Tank Info: 110 gal Acrylic 44 x 24 x 24 Cherry stand/canopy Sequence Dart running closed loop Ampmaster2100 running 30 gal fuge/sump. Lights 2- 250 watt Ushio 14,000k and 4 -96 watt True actinics.
jumpincactus is offline   Reply With Quote