Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/28/2016, 11:22 AM   #9751
oahureefer
Registered Member

Back in the game

Aloha,

After taking ~12yrs off from the hobie due to multiple moves i am getting back in the game. I am starting with a 36G nano reef for my daughter, once my wife wraps her head around that I plan on getting a 180G like I had before. I feel like a newbie again though, seems like a lot has changed since i was last in the game. Heck I had never even heard of LED lighting for tanks and it seems like that all my LFS wanted to sell.

oahureefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2016, 02:16 PM   #9752
jparkerdc4
Registered Member

Hey all! I just got in the biz 3 months ago with a 30g tank. Man has it been a learnjng curve! Can't wait to work with some of you experts...definately going to need help. Anyway, thanks!

jparkerdc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2016, 02:56 PM   #9753
emperor187
Registered Member

I've been on a few years break from the hobby, had a move and job change, got married; basically life got in the way.

But I'm back now! I definitely don't remember all of these LEDs and controllers, some look pretty darn advanced.

emperor187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2016, 07:32 AM   #9754
ejawitz
Registered Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to the hobby. My daughter twisted my arm, but now we have a tank and we are both devoted to it. I am looking forward to getting some information on this site so we can have a spectacular tank.

ejawitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2016, 07:34 AM   #9755
ejawitz
Registered Member

Help with lighting

I am new to the hobby, and have some questions about my anemone and corals. Is this the right place to post?

All of my water is testing fine, but my Purple Tip Condy is not looking good, neither is my Kenya Tree Coral. We have had them for 6 weeks or so, the condy is looking a bit bleached, and the Kena Tree is always sagging to the side, and never stands up straight.

I think it may be the lighting. I am looking for help with a selection of a new light. Currently I am running with the white LEDs that came with the tank starter kit from PETSMART plus a 5W strip of blue lights. Both lights reach the bottom, but I am not sure they are good.

I am looking at the following from Amazon for $200. Is this a good choice?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A82SJL066E2YF
OceanRevive® Arctic-T247 Full Spectrum Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Reef Light with Built in Timer, Bracket and remote control (48*3W, 90deg Optical Lens)

My tank has about 16" of water from the top to the substrate and they say to hang the light 10" above the water.

ejawitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2016, 03:34 PM   #9756
Mrs.W
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to saltwater aquariums. My dad had a tank when I was growing up and I have wanted to start my own for the longest time. My husband gave me a tiny 6 gallon nano for my birthday this past Dec and I haven't looked back! In April I upgraded to a 46 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and it has been fun learning all I can about this hobby. I have been reading this forum since I found it Dec and truly appreciate all the information available.

Mrs.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2016, 05:38 PM   #9757
JodiM
Registered Member

Hi everyone! I'm Jodi.. I am new to the site, stumbled upon it when I was having drain issues, and this site helped me so much! I'm newish to the whole saltwater life. My husband has had a few tanks in the past, and I had one 150 gallon about 15 years ago, but gave it away when I was moving.
Just getting back into it now (my kids REALLY wanted some fish) just starting off slow and easy. 36 gallon bow front with sump set up. Just added my first fish this weekend. 2 damsels, 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp and some live rock.
Thank you in advance for any help I get in the future, I am sure I will have questions.

JodiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2016, 07:18 PM   #9758
Cheeselady
Registered Member

Good evening folks!
I'm Sara, new to saltwater but I've got three established freshwater. (5 gal betta, 5 gal glowfish, 15 gal guppie). I recently was given a 10? Gallon tank with saltwater supplies and I'm going to give it a try.

Cheeselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2016, 11:40 AM   #9759
bobbyboy27
Registered Member

Need help.....

seachem multitest marine basic
hi need some help understanding this please

pH
Fill sample pipette to base of bulb and dispense to a test cavity of the test plate.
Add one drop of Marine pH Reagent and stir briefly.
Read pH from chart.

alkalinity
Fill sample pipette to base of bulb and dispense to a test cavity of the test plate.
Hold the alkalinity pipette vertically and add 1 drop of Alkalinity Reagent. Stir briefly. Continue adding drops (count the drops) and stirring until color turns from blue to yellow. Just before going to yellow, a lime green color will appear. The final drop is usually one drop beyond this point.
Each drop is is equal to 0.5 meq/L. The number of drops to get to yellow divided by 2 is the total alkalinity.

i test amonnia nitrate and nitrite and all were fine ph was 8.2 did alkalinity test and it took 3 drops to turn yellow .. so does this make it 0.75 or 1.5 ..any help please im totally new to all this

bobbyboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2016, 02:30 PM   #9760
Javier Vargas
Registered Member

Hello , my name is Javier Vargas , born in Bolivia and living in Săo Paulo, Brazil.

I Reef for over 20 years and currently a reef 240 gallons + 80 gallons in the sump dedicated to SPS and 130 gallons of LPs.

Javier Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2016, 05:19 PM   #9761
mikiloffbadfish
Registered Member

im bad fish started a 29g bio cube added a sump a few corals and clown fish and a very lazy blenny. want to upgrade my lights cheap

mikiloffbadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2016, 06:35 PM   #9762
2015GaTor
Registered Member

There is actually a whole section devoted to anemones and corals down below. Welcome to the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejawitz View Post
I am new to the hobby, and have some questions about my anemone and corals. Is this the right place to post?

All of my water is testing fine, but my Purple Tip Condy is not looking good, neither is my Kenya Tree Coral. We have had them for 6 weeks or so, the condy is looking a bit bleached, and the Kena Tree is always sagging to the side, and never stands up straight.

I think it may be the lighting. I am looking for help with a selection of a new light. Currently I am running with the white LEDs that came with the tank starter kit from PETSMART plus a 5W strip of blue lights. Both lights reach the bottom, but I am not sure they are good.

I am looking at the following from Amazon for $200. Is this a good choice?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A82SJL066E2YF
OceanRevive® Arctic-T247 Full Spectrum Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Reef Light with Built in Timer, Bracket and remote control (48*3W, 90deg Optical Lens)

My tank has about 16" of water from the top to the substrate and they say to hang the light 10" above the water.

2015GaTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2016, 11:51 AM   #9763
Tonereefny
Registered Member

New to the forum. How do I post in the market place. I do not see a tab for it. In the Long Island tri state area. Thanks in advance reefers.

Anthony.

Tonereefny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2016, 09:30 PM   #9764
claysreef
Registered Member

Hello everyone, we are starting our hobby. Torn between the Red sea Max-s500 or the Reefer XL 525. Besides the price difference the Max s comes with lights and such. What do you more experienced ones recommend. Thanks Clay.

claysreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2016, 09:42 PM   #9765
eric_j
Registered Member

Here in Washington, DC. Will have a 150g tank delivered this weekend to start a new voyage into saltwater and reef Aquaria. I have a Cichlid tank (90g) now, and have had aquariums for many many years; and even saltwater fish back in the 90s! Things have gotten so sophisticated since then, so I am absolutely a newby. I expect to take my time to gather equipment, and prepare for this journey. I'm excited and totally intimidated right now. But, as usual am totally ready to charge ahead. I go by ej, and am looking forward to learning everything I need to know from the members of this forum.

eric_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2016, 07:55 AM   #9766
NAClFiSHy
Registered Member

After running only a 11g nano on my night stand for the last few years ive jumped back in. Dumped the nano into a 40B added about 40lbs of live rock and dug thru a few totes in and basement from the past and whipped up a FrankenTank of sorts.

NAClFiSHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2016, 10:08 AM   #9767
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claysreef View Post
Hello everyone, we are starting our hobby. Torn between the Red sea Max-s500 or the Reefer XL 525. Besides the price difference the Max s comes with lights and such. What do you more experienced ones recommend. Thanks Clay.
Welcome! You're better off posting this question as a new thread in the new to the hobby forum. You'll get way more views/replies there. Goodluck!

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2016, 11:11 AM   #9768
TheBigSky
Registered Member

Talking Give him the sedative!?

Hello RC. I'm Earl, I go by Marty. Pleased to meet you. Sorta new to the hobby after a few years out. I like all the new equipment and abilities in SW. I probably will have some stupid questions at times but that's OK, it's a stupid world. That's about it for now. Talk to you soon. Dave

TheBigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2016, 11:23 AM   #9769
bduff925
Registered Member

First time/Long time

Ahoy-hoy fellow reef lovers,
After a lifetime of desire and 6+ months of research, much of which came from ReefCentral, I am about to take the plunge and begin my first attempt at reef keeping! As such it seemed the time to join the community and very briefly introduce myself before starting a build thread in the appropriate section, where I hope to receive even more advice from the venerable old salts already residing therein. Currently living in a San Francisco loft so free space is limited. 30ish. Lover of spicy food, strong IPA's, hockey (Go Sharks!), and of course all things aquatic (save the sharks!). Tank ships next week and will be a Red Sea Reefer 250 that will likely start out somewhat mixed but hopefully, eventually, be SPS dominated. I'll babble on plenty in a separate thread about peripheral equipment and my goals etc., but for now just wanted to say hi and THANK YOU to all the people contributing to this forum. Seeing all the amazing tanks and community involvement pushed me to finally attempt to realize a life-long dream of having a living piece of the ocean in my home.
Cheers,
Duff

bduff925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2016, 01:12 PM   #9770
alcimedes
Registered Member

New user, been keeping freshwater tanks for about 30 years now, finally decided to take the plunge into salt after a great deal on a great tank popped up.

I've managed to start reading all of one thread here (Hitchhiker ID thread). I'm 150+ pages in and the amount of knowledge is amazing. The great deal on the tank also meant a crash course in saltwater tanks, so I'm learning as I go, and hope I don't make too many mistakes as a beginning reefer.

alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2016, 12:36 PM   #9771
staggeringwade
Registered Member

Replacement pump for the Reef Dynamics EPSP4-C

I wasn't sure I was posting in the correct location...I didn't see where to create a new post.

I just realized Reef Dymanics went out of business! I need a replacement pump for the EPSP4-C. I believe my skimmer is the INS 350....it runs dual pumps.

It would be preferable to get a pump that fits the plumping so I don't have to modify. I live in a small town and finding plumbing parts is a PIA.

Thanks for your advice!

staggeringwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2016, 08:28 PM   #9772
JoshInSF
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the hobby and already hooked! I bought a Biocube LED 32 and am currently cycling it. In the meantime I already want a bigger tank. Looking forward to learning and sharing here!

Experience - I had some goldfish when I was a kid... A saltwater reef tank seemed like a great place to get back into fish!

Josh

JoshInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2016, 10:19 AM   #9773
Wilrok_1
Registered Member

Hello !

Getting back into hobby , can't stay away ! Recently bought innovative marine 30 gallon long , I will try to it keep it small and simple .

Wilrok_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2016, 05:49 PM   #9774
JVan82
Registered Member

Hey

So I'm new here, I've wanted to reef tank for some years, but due to my occupation and moving around a lot didn't make a lot of sense to delve into the hobby. The last few months have been pretty craptastic for me due to a lot of things in my person life... So I decided now was the time to start a hooby that give me some purpose and can hopefully help me through this dark part of my life. Sorry for the doom and gloom intro...

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2016, 08:26 PM   #9775
David Galindo
Registered Member

Wink Greetings!

Hey RNC, my name is David, and I will be asking tons of questions as I start my quest to building my first saltwater aquarium (45 gal.). I am very excited and I am currently on the research phase. If you guys have any helpful websites, books or just good advice don't hesitate to inform me. Thanks in advance.

David Galindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral