Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Wine Country Reefers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/15/2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Tank update

My 60g flat shallow reef is improving. I went through a reefing low point but recovered. My corals are growing again and I've been able to procure new specimens which are thriving. Happy happy joy joy!

I have made a number of changes since the beginning of the year, which not only improved the health of my tank but lowered electrical consumption as well. Lighting change to LED, updated controller, pumps, protein skimmer.

I am sad that I had to rehome my two biggest bestest fishes, a chevron tang and a one spot foxface rabbitfish. I had the chevron for over 8 years and the rabbitfish almost as long. They broke the number one fish commandment in a reef tank: "Thou shalt not nibble corals". Reef safe for 8 years, then not.

Turf and hair algae are long gone. Aiptasia are present but I seeded a good number of berghia last week. In a month or so I may begin to see results. I've had success with them before.

Pleased to still have the bicolor hammer I got from Grant over 9 years ago. New favorite corals include a purple torch, bicolor frogspawn and pinwheel blue jester fungia. Been picking up some montis too. Obnoxiously bright Rainbow Infusion palys.

I intend to provide some pics. I had dialed in white balancing high color temperature lights with my old MHs but LEDs are more challenging. You might be subjected to the usual "too blue" shots until I figure it out.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2021, 10:50 AM   #2
MarAquatic
Registered Member

That's awesome cant wait for some pics of the tank!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2021, 03:07 PM   #3
mav3rick478
Registered Member

If pics don't exist this is all here say! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Down front Deadpool trachy. Behind that purple torch. Behind that side view of M. spongodes, Grant hammer, orange skirted zoas and rainbow monti.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deadpool Trachy w.jpg (49.5 KB, 31 views)

Old 05/24/2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Berghia sighting!

I believe this is the 3rd time I have attempted to use berghia to control overly abundant aiptasia. The first time was successful and I was aiptasia free for over a year. Eventually they popped up again from new introductions of fish and coral. The second time was a bust.

Berghia are soft, shell-less and slow moving, which makes them yummy food for fish, shrimp and crabs. The key is getting a breeding colony of berghia going so they can tolerate predation and still have enough individuals to mow down aiptasia. They tend to feed at night.

A typical timeline of berghia use involves addition, and then an often 2-3 month period of "Alright, where did they go? I still have aiptasia. Don't tell me that was another flush of money down the reef tank toilet." And if a colony doesn't get going, that's the end of it.

When things go right, one might catch an occasional glimpse of a berghia at night or in the early morning. Or when turning over a frag on the sandbed. I saw one 2 weeks ago on a frag rack, and then another this morning on a rock. One may spy egg spirals and finally, a sense of "Hey, there are fewer aiptasia on that rock now! And that one too!"

While it's only been about 6 or 7 weeks since I introduced them into my tank, I am optimistic that a breeding colony may be establishing itself.

Fingers crossed.

Old 05/24/2021, 01:45 PM   #6
Jsarrow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Berghia sighting!.
Hey, curious where you procured your berghia and if you think a large fire shrimp would eat them? Was thinking about try a few berghia to get some stubborn aiptasia once and for all.

Jsarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2021, 06:55 AM   #7
Reef Bass
colors and textures

My favorite berghia procurement was years ago from a "local" guy in the east bay via craigslist. I got over 30 for $100. Great deal and plenty to populate my 100g at the time. I have not seen him post any since.

I got these from ReefTown. 13 medium for just over $200 which earns free shipping.

ReefTown says peppermint shrimps are a huge predator of berghia. As such, I suspect a fire shrimp would find them delicious as well.

If you only have a few aiptasia, I recommend treating with something like Aiptasia X. Turn off your pumps and carefully apply it directly to the aiptasia. Let "soak" for a bit. The aiptasia pretty much dissolves. Try not to get any on anything you care about. Yes it's manual, but it's the easiest way to get rid of a few. When you have a whole tank infestation, where many if not all surfaces are covered in them, that's berghia time, IMHO.

If there are no fish, no crabs, no shrimp (no berghia predators) in a tank, then maybe a 3-4 berghia could start a population? My failed attempt was weak with only 6 as I recall and they never got going in my 100g.

Last edited by Reef Bass; 05/25/2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05/25/2021, 09:28 AM   #8
Jsarrow
Registered Member

Appreciate the feed back with your berghia experience; hopefully you won't need them in your new setup!

Jsarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2021, 12:06 AM   #9
Dragonvale
Registered Member

Good luck on the aiptasia battle. Best solution which took many tryís was a cooperband butterfly but it was a certain one since there are two types if I remember correctly, or at least what worked for me. It cleaned every aiptasia in my 250 bad thing was to keep him alive after I had to buy black worms. He didnít eat anything else.

Dragonvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Thanks Jsarrow and Punchy.

Yes, the CBB. Another ally in the aiptasia war. That's great yours was able to clean up your 250. I remember that tank. And the 6" chalices you had while everyone else was drooling over 1/2 frags.

I also had a CBB a while back. It was awesome and quite the aiptasia enthusiast.

I could hold a frag in the tank and the CBB would come over and clean the aiptasia from it while I held it. In the long run it didn't thrive though, which sucked because it was a cool fish with personality. Maybe I should have tried black worms.

Old 05/26/2021, 07:38 AM   #11
Reef Bass
colors and textures

One of the saddest sights in reefing: a treasured fish wrapped around a Vortech wetside.

Another: bite marks on acros.

Old 06/02/2021, 05:47 PM   #12
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Wait, did you lose your Chevron tang or Melanarus?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2021, 07:00 AM   #13
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Hey Yuri. Yeah, the Chevron and his bud Rabbitfish became coral munchers and had to go. I was sad. I even built eggcrate "top shields" that extended over the corals that they loved to "kiss" the most. Light and water got through but fish lips no. The fish seemed to just push them out of the way. My Melanarus (thanks for remembering him, he was awesome!) died a couple years ago. Next time I set up a tank with a sand bed a male Melanarus will be one of the residents.