Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Minnesota Reef Society
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/16/2008, 02:30 PM   #1
GoingPostal
Registered Member

Who wants a PITA fish?

Is there anyone in the north running a FOWLR? My maroon clown is driving me up the wall, I had her in a 20 gallon with just mushrooms and frags after misbehaving but I sold that tank setup so back into my 33 gallon she went, now she's back to spitting sand all over stuff and biting my corals, I think she's trying to host in my Duncans because they haven't opened since I put her in the tank. She's a bad reef dweller but would hold her own against tough guys. Either I get rid of her or I'm going to have to set up a separate tank somewhere. =clownfish

Old 01/16/2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Swanwillow
goby girl

LOL, I'll take her, I have an extra 20 gallon sump she can be in for the time being.

Just kidding, I love the way some clowns look (snowflake and picasso) but I really hate them, they killed 3 flasher wrasses in my 55 gallon. Stupid clowns.

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Mr James
Premium Member

I probably cannot take her as I have this one:

I also have a Powder Blue Tang that will need a new home soon. Garrett (Home Depot) you mentioned that you may want it for your new tank. Please verify because my tank was simply a rescue station for her on her way to a bigger tank.

Mr James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 12:11 PM   #4
dedex
Registered Member

James, would she survive in a 75g? Alex really want's a fish like this - when I did my research on a Blue Tang, the minimum tank requirement was 70G?

Current Tank Info: 75g reef w/MRc MR-1, closed loop, 40g sump; 20g reef
dedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 12:45 PM   #5
GoingPostal
Registered Member

My James thinks he needs your tang but it'll be a while before our tank is up and running stable enough for one, she'll need a good size qt tank before hand too. Beautiful fish though.
My clown would open a can of you know what on that poor little clown. I rearranged my aquapod and put my duncans back in there because I think she's trying to host in them and that's why they won't open. I'm considering just getting a anemone in the 135 for her because I think then she wouldn't leave it to bug everything else.

Old 01/17/2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Mr James
Premium Member

Quote:
by dedex
James, would she survive in a 75g? Alex really want's a fish like this - when I did my research on a Blue Tang, the minimum tank requirement was 70G?
Minimum tank size is just one thing to look at. I have never really been a fish guym so I keep very few fish. Tangs are known to be Ich magnets and if you don't feed them right or keep them stress free, you can have problems. Dory and Nemo should have been an angler fish and a swordfish, for all the good they did to the saltwater industry.

Old 01/17/2008, 07:31 PM   #7
GoingPostal
Registered Member

Dedex, I wouldn't try it in a 75, powder blues are known to be a pretty delicate fish, I'm not sure I want to try one. They need lots of flow and swimming room and tangs in general do best in mature tanks. Not a good beginner fish. Mr. James has a decent setup for her now, good flow, algea to eat, tank size is a little small but nice and wide.

Old 01/17/2008, 07:31 PM   #8
MN. Reef crzy
Registered Member

i would like that blue powder tang. I have always wanted one of them.

MN. Reef crzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Swanwillow
goby girl

I've always wanted one too, until I saw an achillies. WOW.

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Mr James
Premium Member

Who ever can provide the best home, let me know. I have some sheets of Nori to send her on her way.

Old 01/18/2008, 04:57 AM   #11
GoingPostal
Registered Member

MN reef crazy has the biggest tank and it's already up and running.

Old 01/18/2008, 05:49 AM   #12
Mr James
Premium Member

Quote:
by MN. Reef crzy
i would like that blue powder tang. I have always wanted one of them.
I can try to catch him and bring to the meeting. It may require some dismantling of rock work. Better now than 1 year down the road when my corals take off. PM me if you want to discuss it. I'd be looking for a trade over a sale.

Old 01/18/2008, 05:54 AM   #13
MN. Reef crzy
Registered Member

yeah if it is to hard to catch it wouldnt be the end of the world but i deff. have room for it. I have been real busy at work and just have not had much time to post. I did get 25 frags of sps for the price of 20 from a guy, i was shocked. Than I got my new kalk reactor from geo and have all of it up and running. So i have lots of pictures of stuff to show you guys.

MN. Reef crzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2008, 06:06 AM   #14
Mr James
Premium Member

Can't wait to see the pictures MN Reef...