Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/23/2007, 01:58 PM   #1
usmcr0811
Registered Member

Any thoughts on aggressive fish for a 75 gallon?

I have a 75 gallon with 29 gallon sump/fuge. The fuge has a deep sand base and some cheato in it. Also running a turbofloater 1000 skimmer. My display has a bare bottom and currently 50 lbs of live rock. I will get at least 25 lbs more asap and probably end up with around 120 lbs total live rock when its all said and done. I already have 2 black and white stripe damsels, 5 turbo snails, and 4 small hermit crabs. I also saw some tiny white bug looking things crawling around on my live rock the other day and think they are copepods.

With the above in mind, what are some good options for aggressive fish, and how many of what could I have. I understand it depends on what types of fish you get as to how many but I would like suggestions. I would like a lot of small-medium fish and 1 large such as a tang, or trigger or something.

usmcr0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2007, 03:56 PM   #2
stealthbimmer
Registered Member

well "ALOT" of little fish is a big vague. Your bio-load will be reached fairly quick. There are not many "little fish" that will do well in an agressive, especially if you have a trigger. The trigger will probably eat anything it can get its mouth on.

stealthbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2007, 02:04 AM   #3
usmcr0811
Registered Member

I keep getting the same answer that I am to vague or depends on how much live rock you have or depends on what type of fish you have. I understand that I may be vague but I just want to know what my options are and what type of a bio load my tank can stand. I don't want anything really small. I wouldn't mind having my damsels be my smallest fish in the tank, then get 2 clown, a dwarf angel, and a huma huma trigger.

How many more of what type of fish would anyone recommend I get/get rid of etc. can I put in 10 more damsel? can I only have 2? should I trade the trigger for something else....although I really am liking the way the trigger looks. What are some other options?

Old 10/24/2007, 08:29 AM   #4
stealthbimmer
Registered Member

trigger and lion will eat any fish it can get its mouth around...

Old 10/24/2007, 10:56 AM   #5
usmcr0811
Registered Member

Ok, so is their any other large fish I can have with the trigger in that size of tank or is the trigger going to max out a 75 gallon for that size of fish

Old 10/24/2007, 12:00 PM   #6
stealthbimmer
Registered Member

tang or a smaller puffer or fox face maybe....there are options out there

Old 10/24/2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Doc Holiday
Registered Member

Don't put to much LR in there. 50-75 lbs is plenty. You don't want to jam it full of rock and not have any place for the fish to swim.
You could just go with a Flame Head Dottyback (Pseudochromis Steenei.) and be done with it. They are wolverines of the fish world and look really cool to boot.

Doc Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2007, 03:42 PM   #8
mwood
Premium Member

snowflake eel. I had one in a 75 and loved it.

You wouldn't be able to keep small fish though.

mwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2007, 07:58 PM   #9
xravenzx
Registered Member

valentini puffers are nice, if you don't have a trigger in there, the puffer could go in. It would probably go well with a yellow tang.

xravenzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2007, 10:52 PM   #10
natep206
Blenniella chrysospilos

It really depends on what specific type of tank you want to have. if you want alot of pretty and peacful fish with one big fish, if you want a bunch of aggressive mean looking fish that are also pretty.

if you want aggressive i would get

a species of normal not dwarf angle fish that will fit in your sized tank.
a trigger
a smaller species of eel
a hawk fish
and a smaller puffer

If you want nice i would get

a dwarf angle
a pair of clowns
a blenny
a few more medium sized fish like wrasses, dotty backs, anthias ect.
a couple butterflys and a couple smaller tangs.

of you wanted a reef youd have alot less options for agressive fish and you couldn't have the butterflys in the peacful group. you obviously have other options. both choices have there pros and cons. your decision.

-nate

natep206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2007, 03:49 AM   #11
usmcr0811
Registered Member

ok what about this list

1 Annularis Angelfish (Pomacanthus annularis)
1 Saddle Valentini Puffer (Canthigaster valentini)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2 damsel black and white stripe
1 Humu Picasso Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus aculeatus)
1 Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

Is this way to many for my 75 gallon and if so, what ones should I get rid of?

Old 10/25/2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Itz Irish
Registered Member

you MAY be alright for a little while, but the annularis angel, and the humu will both outgrow the 75. and i am no tang expert, but you might want to get like a bristletooth tang instead of a blue, blues need a lot more room i believe, but im not positive. what about some kind of wrasse instead of the angel? like a coris, i hear humus grow reallly slow, so maybe you could have him for awhile, then upgrade in a year or 2

Itz Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2007, 06:35 AM   #13
Jason1520
Registered Member

I think the Huma is kind of aggressive for that. My 75g has a lion, a coral beauty, 2 damsels, and two engineer goby's (which look like eels, but need sand base).

*Fox Face's are great
*Flame angels are great
*If you really want a trigger, get a blue throat, they are feef safe/peaceful.
*Marron clowns are good and can hold their own
*You could get away with a tang, one probably

**I wouldn't do all of these fish, but research and pick what fits your taste

Look at www.saltwaterfish.com they have a large variety and you can look at pics and read about them.

I am new to this, but I have found that this is all about what YOU like. This website is GREAT for advice, but ultimatly it is your tank, you have to enjoy it!

Jason1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2007, 06:37 AM   #14
Jason1520
Registered Member

Also don't forget about shrimp, starfish, crabs, etc.

I really enjoy my cleaner shrimp, chocolate chip star, and hermit crabs!

emerald crabs and porcalin crabs are great also.

Jason1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2007, 06:47 AM   #15
stealthbimmer
Registered Member

trigger will eat smaller fish but it wont out grow if u get a smaller one. trigges grow slowly. i would trade the blue tang for a yellow.

Old 10/25/2007, 07:19 AM   #16
jcopp24
Registered Member

First thing that Huma Huma would eat would be the crabs / snails. I bet within the first day, they are all gone.

How about a pair of triggers. Bought very small, you would be good with the 75 for quite a while. By the time the triggers get to big for the tank, you will be ready for a bigger tank. Bigger tanks are just part of the addiction.

Also I randomly will by damsel first to put in with my Undy. If anything to give him some one to chase around. They live for quite a while.

One thing about buying a trigger to put in your tank. There are kinds of triggers that hide more then they play. Mainly I think because of tank raised vs. wild. My trigger hides alot and he is the only first in the tank. My friend has a Niger that will chase his hand, each out of his hand ect.

Anyway remember its your tank, you have to look at it : )

jcopp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2007, 05:00 PM   #17
usmcr0811
Registered Member

What is that fish that looks like a juvinile angel (blue/puple/white stripes) that doesn't change color?