Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/16/2008, 12:57 AM   #1
uwiik
Registered Member

Accidental plenum in 90.000L Coral holding system

I set my soft coral holding system using gravity induced current, in order to attain that my first pond have to be fairly tall. I just calculated the cost for me to fill the tall tubes with sand and I never thought it is going to be very expensive. Then I've tried to trick it by stacking cement block which is very cheap here to fill in the bottom..

Then I realized it is going to create low oxygen zone there, if it only an inch we can call it jaubert plenum system, but if it that thick will it cause problem in the long run?? anoxic zone?? Ammonia??

My DIY Reeflo Hammerhead meshwheel skimmer

Current Tank Info: Coral export facility
uwiik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Mattmcf
Registered Member

Are you trying to raise the corals closer to the surface? if so, why not build a PVC shelf w/egg crate at the desired height? I think from the picture you will have to much of a "dead zone" where detritus will settle and give you many many headaches in the long run. Also is the cement cured? i know when you make fake rock out of cement/sand you have to cure it for a while to make sure the cement will not leach anything into your water. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mattmcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 07:27 PM   #3
T Man
~PPPPPPP~

Very impressive farm uwiik . Is that foil covering the Co2 cylinder? T

T Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 07:45 PM   #4
uwiik
Registered Member

No I am going to cover that bricks with about 20 cm of fine sand and another 5 cm of rubble. So the space below is going to be completely covered by 25 cm thick substrate. Basically it is a plenum system but with a very tall plenum hehehehehehe will it cause problem, this thing is only happen in my soft corals holding system, which I did not want to spend too much at, I prefer to spend the budget on LPS and SPS holding. For LPS and SPS holding system I use the latest methodology, lots of current, correct lighting, individual overflow, LOTS of liverock, Massive skimmer, rowaphos, and massive fluidizing ca reactor.....

Old 01/16/2008, 07:48 PM   #5
uwiik
Registered Member

It is clear plastic wrap for food, glad wrap??? before I wrap it up, I cover the tank base with anti rust paint, then do the turkey sandwich wrapping.... It is a big facility, I do not want anyone get hurt because of exploding corroded Co2 tank.... My old man is a surgeon, heard horror stories about fatality causd by co2 tank

Old 01/17/2008, 04:06 PM   #6
T Man
~PPPPPPP~

Quote:
Originally posted by uwiik
It is clear plastic wrap for food, glad wrap??? before I wrap it up, I cover the tank base with anti rust paint, then do the turkey sandwich wrapping.... It is a big facility, I do not want anyone get hurt because of exploding corroded Co2 tank.... My old man is a surgeon, heard horror stories about fatality causd by co2 tank
I kinda figured that it was a saftey issue measurement- that's a great idea. Do you use all natural sunlight or supplement lighting? My house has a large skylight and sunshine is no problem, I've kicked the idea around a time or two about strictly natural with no supplement but I'd like to see if/how it is applied. TinMan

T Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2008, 06:05 AM   #7
wayne in norway
Registered Member

In response, I can't see why an extra large plenum should be a problem at all. My only feeling is it might take a long time to deoxygenate, and for denitrfication to begin properly.

wayne in norway is offline   Reply With Quote