Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Malifluous
Registered Member

Overflow kits from glass-holes. Glass drilling video

I just recieved an overflow kit from www.glass-holes.com. The overflow boxes are well made and only 2 " front to back. They also offer diamond holes saws for about $12. Fast Free shipping and some free stuff as well. They have a video on how to drill glass. I have never drilled glass before, watched the video and was able to make 3 holes with no chips in my 70 gal.

Malifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 10:12 AM   #2
RandyStacyE
Registered Member

The audio in their video is hilarious

RandyStacyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 11:23 AM   #3
shyland83
Registered Member

haha, i love the suspenseful music as he gets close to breaking through, followed by the jeers of disappointment when he stops to add water. someone had too much time on their hands.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef
shyland83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 11:59 AM   #4
nodbugger
Registered Member

I got mine a week ago, had the hole drilled and the overflow set up and water tight within an hour. My only problem is I'm having problems keeping it completely silent.

nodbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Malifluous
Registered Member

Any luck on making it silent? I will be setting mine up on saturday. Any sugestions would be nice.

Old 01/14/2008, 07:48 AM   #6
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

hehehe...i cant see the video...but how the heck do you reach into the bottom of that 2" wide overflow box to smooth the silicone out in the seem? my skinny fat hands need atleast 3-3.5" to reach the bottom and still be able to maneuver enough to smooth a bead of silicone on the bottom...

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 09:06 AM   #7
RandyStacyE
Registered Member

I don't think you seal the interior of the box using silicone at all.

I believe the bulkhead fitting creats the seal. It looks like they use 2 rubber seals instead of just one. It's likely that one of the seals goe inside the box and the other between the box and the glass.

Old 01/14/2008, 09:07 AM   #8
RandyStacyE
Registered Member

nodbugger,

What isn't silent about this overflow box? Are you just hearing splashing sounds inside the box, inside the plumbing, or is the elbow slurping air?

Old 01/14/2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Malifluous
Registered Member

Yes the bulkhead holds the overflow on. The oveflow are made nicely. Any time the air is shut down is a bad time. Since we have no choice, Thursday or Friday at night would be the best time to shut the air off. If the glue is allowed to dry overnight we can minimize the suffering for the algae. Very slim profile and looks like they took care when making it. Your hand just needs to get in there to tighten the bulkhead. My hands dont fit in, but i can get my fingers inside to hold it steady and just use the other hand to twist from the outside

Old 01/14/2008, 05:25 PM   #10
moprint
Registered Member

I was wondering about these overflows. Are they noisy?

moprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Malifluous
Registered Member

If your having problemseeing the video, go to www.youtube.com and search for glass holes. Ill know how noisy they are on saturday or Sunday. I plan to also have the herbie method incorporated if possible. Depends on my output pump..

Old 01/14/2008, 05:58 PM   #12
glenns
Registered Member

I did something similar 4yrs ago using my Remora Pro Overflow. It was wide enough to screw an 90 deg PVC into the bulkhead. The line outside is a goes above the tank to create a Durso stand pipe.

Glenn.

Current Tank Info: 90G w/20L Sump/Refugium, 6 T5 lights @54W ea., Reef Octopus EXT-PS-120, DSB/LR ,SPS, Derasa, GBTA, Zoo's, Fish, Inverts.
glenns is offline   Reply With Quote