Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 01/12/2008, 03:40 AM   #626
NanoGurl
Moved On

Digital Monitors

Okay, so what does everyone think of these digital monitors instead of test kit solutions? I love the idea of them, but always nervous that the probes won't be right.

Here is a new nitrate monitor:
Nitrate Monitor

Here is the pH monitor:
pH Monitor

They are really expensive, but at the rate I go through nitrate test kits it would pay quickly lol.

Old 01/12/2008, 04:12 AM   #627
Mikeeee
Registered Member

I've heard monitors are a PITA.. especially the calcium one. Not sure about the others but people say its a pain calibrating them so im staying away from them for now..

Old 01/12/2008, 04:18 AM   #628
NanoGurl
Moved On

Yea I read that too about the Ca but I am really only interested in the pH and nitrate one. the salinity one is kinda cool, but I don't really have any need of that.

Old 01/12/2008, 04:39 AM   #629
Mikeeee
Registered Member

A refractometer is much more accurate from what ive read.. i have never used these pinpoint monitors so hopefully someone whose had them can chime in. It would definitely suck spending that $$ on something that is constantly inaccurate and needs to be re calibrated.

Old 01/12/2008, 05:01 AM   #630
NanoGurl
Moved On

Me too!

Old 01/12/2008, 05:03 AM   #631
NanoGurl
Moved On

Flow for 120

So I already have two NanoStream 6045s and was thinking about adding the Tunze Turbelle Stream Pump 6060. If I do this, it would give me 33x turnover rate. That is about what I have now with my 75.

I am not going to keep a large amount of SPS unless I can really keep my nitrates down.. so what do you guys think?

Still need all that flow? I am thinking yes due to BB tank and tangs.

Old 01/12/2008, 06:17 AM   #632
NanoGurl
Moved On

Also.. just found this:

"I'm re-plumbing my 120 Tech right now, and the overflow holes will accept either 1" or 3/4 " bulkheads. I'm re-plumbing because I am hard-plumbing my new skimmer."

Old 01/12/2008, 07:11 AM   #633
crvz
Team RC Member

Cripes, this thread moves quickly!!

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Yea, I saw it would be $600 for the Bubble Master for the size I would want. I don't know if it's worth another $130 upgrade from the ER?
Are you comparing the RC or RS models of the ER. The recirculating model (RC) is considerably more expensive than the BubbleMaster.

Quote:
Question about the ER 250

Can you direct feed the skimmer from the overflow? Would this be a good idea?
I'd thought you were looking at the RS250, which is not the recirculating model, so no, you can't direct feed the skimmer.

Quote:
I'm going with a 120g =)

Not sure what the overflow gph is on that one... it's the Oceanic 120 Tech.

Is there a good return pump that I could use pvc to connect back to the tank instead of the clear flexible tubing? I want something more secure, but no idea how to connect it to the return bulkhead.

Thanks for the info!!
Are there 2 overflows or 1? My 150 has 2 overflows, and each one can handle ~600 gph, but I only use a mag 9 dialed back for the return, which gives me about 450-500 gph. These you can hook up with PVC. I'll try to find a picture.

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
It would be better to use 1.5" even though it isn't for a long run (of plumbing). Mag pumps work better when you double the thread size. A mag 9.5 or 12 has 3/4" threads, so doubling it would be 1.5" plumbing.
This is precisely how I have mine set up at the pump, though I think Marc told me to do it when I was figuring out my plumbing! Marc's everywhere!! Anyways, since I have the 2 overflows, I step it up to 1.5" PVC at the pump, then split it into two 1" vinyl tubing lines on hose barbs. It's worked well for me. I'll try to find some pictures.

Quote:
Also.. just found this:

"I'm re-plumbing my 120 Tech right now, and the overflow holes will accept either 1" or 3/4 " bulkheads. I'm re-plumbing because I am hard-plumbing my new skimmer."
Again, if it's anything like mine, it will not fit the sch. 80 1" bulkheads (the heavy duty ones), but standard 1" plumbing is fine.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Old 01/12/2008, 07:21 AM   #634
NanoGurl
Moved On

Hi!

Yes, the RS250... not the recirculating ones.

It has 2 drains and 2 returns.. but it's an Oceanic Tech.. different from the regular AGA with 2 drains.

I would like to not use the tubing if at all possible. I am not sure though I don't have the kit yet. Hopefully soon!

Thanks!

Old 01/12/2008, 07:23 AM   #635
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Hi!

It has 2 drains and 2 returns.. but it's an Oceanic Tech.. different from the regular AGA with 2 drains.

I would like to not use the tubing if at all possible. I am not sure though I don't have the kit yet. Hopefully soon!

Thanks!
You can easily avoid using tubing, but just be precise with the pvc. I liked the tubing because it can help eliminate any vibration noise from the pump, but I don't know if that's really that big of a problem.

And I just looked up the tech series at oceanic's website (I'm glad they updated it, last time I was there they had squat for info). Definitely a little different, and an awesome looking setup.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Old 01/12/2008, 09:39 AM   #636
GSMguy
Registered Member

SWC dont need to prove themselves really they stole their design from bubble king and ATI, and the pump is the same as ATI , and tunze skimmers.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Old 01/12/2008, 09:41 AM   #637
Snowboarda42
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks!
Woops sorry NG, I thought you were going after the recirc. model (RC 250) rather than the RS 250. In which case, ignore my comment about Teeing the drain line to feed the skimmer. You simply won't have to now, just put it in your sump in the area of your drain and leave it to work. Definitely mesh mod it though.

As for the Nitrate monitors, I think I remember reading that its designed for freshwater and it won't be as accurate as you need. Same with the Ca. I can't find the article though. Personally, just stick with a regular test kit.

When it comes to plumbing, just use spa flex like Melev suggested. Having less sharp of bends will help keep your flow up from the return pump, and its much better than the clear plastic stuff that you seem to want to stay away from.

If the Oceanic has the option of 3/4" or 1" drains, go for the 1". Two of those should be more than enough to outflow your pump. And bigger than a Mag 12 and you'll want to adapt the 1" into 1.5" or bigger as soon as it comes out of the bulkhead.

Whats with the 3AM posts by the way? Don't you sleep?

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64

Current Tank Info: 40B, 20L Sump/Fuge, Mag 9.5 Return, 2x Hydor Koralia #2's, 150W 14K HQI, 139W T-5, Euro-Reef RS-80P Mesh Modded, 40LB LR, 80LB LS, 54x Turnover, Mostly SPS, Some Softys Too.
Old 01/12/2008, 09:46 AM   #638
GSMguy
Registered Member

THE tech tank uses a standard AGA megaflow kit the same as on reef ready tanks.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Old 01/12/2008, 10:25 AM   #639
bohlke
PBITAWA

Quote:
Okay cool... I will try to find out the size. I would rather have a pump that is slower then my overflows... I don't want to run a ton of flow through the sump. I had issues with that on my 75.

Thanks!
I had the same problem with the sump on my 65 its tiny so it doesnt do well with too much flow. I was able to keep it under control with a waste gate. Basically you put a T on your return that goes right back into the return section of the sump. I put a ball valve on the waste gate and now I can dial back the flow rate of my pump to whatever works best. It has the added benefit of mixing up whatever suplement I am adding to the tank (I guestimate about 50% of the water is going back to the return section) before it goes into the display.

Check out my reef tank upgrade project by clicking on the red house.

Current Tank Info: 120G mixed reef
Old 01/12/2008, 10:51 AM   #640
melev
Moved On

Nitrate monitor - no. pH monitor - yes. That money is the difference between buying a 120g and a 180g.

I love their pH monitor and use it all the time. It is probably the most useful tool for quick verifications of water quality in my reef, the nano, the q-tank and a new barrel of mixed saltwater. Definitely a good purchase. Use it with a 9v battery, not with a dc power cord.

The Tunze 6060 is a nice pump. Rather large compared to the Nano Streams, and it simply has a plug on the end. You have no control over how it works, other than on and off. I use one to mix saltwater. If you like controllability, then I would consider getting a 6100 with a controller (7094 or 7095). That way it can ramp up and down every few seconds to the high and low setpoint you've chosen. I had two 6100s in my tank for the last few years, which were sold a few months ago still working beautifully.

Old 01/12/2008, 02:58 PM   #641
Mikeeee
Registered Member

I would go with a 6100 too w/ a controller definitely worth it. Especially when you go with a larger system 100g+. Tunze 6100 w/controller and your 2 6045's you already have would be great for flow. I would of probably went with the tunze on my 90g if it werent so expensive! And yes wow this thread moves! loL. Yesterday i thought that pg 24 was the last pg..than i realize theres already 2 new pages!! if i were to leave this thread for a couple days i would be lost hahaha it would be back to pg 1 again for me lol!

Old 01/12/2008, 03:04 PM   #642
GSMguy
Registered Member

melev the 120g she wants has eurobracing and starfire and she can use the lights she has and wont need another halide and 6 ft tanks are more expensive to move water in as well, i think the 120g is a good size.

Old 01/12/2008, 04:53 PM   #643
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
You can easily avoid using tubing, but just be precise with the pvc. I liked the tubing because it can help eliminate any vibration noise from the pump, but I don't know if that's really that big of a problem.

And I just looked up the tech series at oceanic's website (I'm glad they updated it, last time I was there they had squat for info). Definitely a little different, and an awesome looking setup.
Thanks! I am going to do mine inwall. I don't mind the flex pvc... i want to use that... just not like the airline tubing stuff that I am using right now.

Old 01/12/2008, 04:54 PM   #644
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
SWC dont need to prove themselves really they stole their design from bubble king and ATI, and the pump is the same as ATI , and tunze skimmers.
Hmmm... thinking.....

Old 01/12/2008, 04:58 PM   #645
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Woops sorry NG, I thought you were going after the recirc. model (RC 250) rather than the RS 250. In which case, ignore my comment about Teeing the drain line to feed the skimmer. You simply won't have to now, just put it in your sump in the area of your drain and leave it to work. Definitely mesh mod it though.

As for the Nitrate monitors, I think I remember reading that its designed for freshwater and it won't be as accurate as you need. Same with the Ca. I can't find the article though. Personally, just stick with a regular test kit.

When it comes to plumbing, just use spa flex like Melev suggested. Having less sharp of bends will help keep your flow up from the return pump, and its much better than the clear plastic stuff that you seem to want to stay away from.

If the Oceanic has the option of 3/4" or 1" drains, go for the 1". Two of those should be more than enough to outflow your pump. And bigger than a Mag 12 and you'll want to adapt the 1" into 1.5" or bigger as soon as it comes out of the bulkhead.

Whats with the 3AM posts by the way? Don't you sleep?

I am not sure what size I can use, once I get the kit I will know better. Seems like a lot of different info out there on it.

No, sorry not the recirc.. just the regular one. That makes more sense now lol.

Not sleeping great lately... lots of stress and things going on for us. So 3am is a good time to RC!

Old 01/12/2008, 05:00 PM   #646
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
THE tech tank uses a standard AGA megaflow kit the same as on reef ready tanks.
Really? That's interesting.

Old 01/12/2008, 05:02 PM   #647
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
I had the same problem with the sump on my 65 its tiny so it doesnt do well with too much flow. I was able to keep it under control with a waste gate. Basically you put a T on your return that goes right back into the return section of the sump. I put a ball valve on the waste gate and now I can dial back the flow rate of my pump to whatever works best. It has the added benefit of mixing up whatever suplement I am adding to the tank (I guestimate about 50% of the water is going back to the return section) before it goes into the display.
That's a kewl idea!

Old 01/12/2008, 05:09 PM   #648
GSMguy
Registered Member

the only difference in the overflow is the shape of the overflow itself it is low profile and flat not rounded like reef ready tanks and it is a center overflow.

Old 01/12/2008, 05:14 PM   #649
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Nitrate monitor - no. pH monitor - yes. That money is the difference between buying a 120g and a 180g.

I love their pH monitor and use it all the time. It is probably the most useful tool for quick verifications of water quality in my reef, the nano, the q-tank and a new barrel of mixed saltwater. Definitely a good purchase. Use it with a 9v battery, not with a dc power cord.

The Tunze 6060 is a nice pump. Rather large compared to the Nano Streams, and it simply has a plug on the end. You have no control over how it works, other than on and off. I use one to mix saltwater. If you like controllability, then I would consider getting a 6100 with a controller (7094 or 7095). That way it can ramp up and down every few seconds to the high and low setpoint you've chosen. I had two 6100s in my tank for the last few years, which were sold a few months ago still working beautifully.
Yea, I saw those before... I liked the idea of the controllers, but wasn't sure if that was really needed on my level of tank. I'll check them out again thnx.

Thanks for the info on the monitors. I was only looking at the nitrate monitor bc my eel makes my nitrates go off the chart a lot and i thought it would be nice to have something that told you 24/7 what it was. Oh well.

hehehe I don't want a 180 I would rather have the 240 :P

Old 01/12/2008, 05:15 PM   #650
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
I would go with a 6100 too w/ a controller definitely worth it. Especially when you go with a larger system 100g+. Tunze 6100 w/controller and your 2 6045's you already have would be great for flow. I would of probably went with the tunze on my 90g if it werent so expensive! And yes wow this thread moves! loL. Yesterday i thought that pg 24 was the last pg..than i realize theres already 2 new pages!! if i were to leave this thread for a couple days i would be lost hahaha it would be back to pg 1 again for me lol!
lol.... thanks. I think it would be good flow too. Now what can I sell to buy it!?!?!

Closed Thread