Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 01/25/2008, 02:52 PM   #776
sm fragman
Registered Member

yep i could get a deltec or a H and S for the money they are charging ,,,i would like to get the euro reef and just get it from the vendor i deal wiht but seeing this from euro-reef it makes me a little sick

Old 01/31/2008, 01:37 PM   #777
jthomps123
Registered Member

I just recieved my RC135. Im sitting here at work staring at it.

I have a couple q's if someone can help me out.

1: The exhaust: What is the best way to get the exhaust over the edge of my 12" high sump. It will be externally mounted and I dont think i have any room to raise the skimmer height due to stand limitations.

2: It came with a 45 degree elbow that looks like the 'directional return' although it does not fit... what gives?

3: Should it have come with a 'manual'. All it came with was a 'information sheet'. How can such an expensive piece of plastic come with such a dearth of documentation.

4: Would I be better of running the part of the overflow into the skimmer? Right now I plan to just feed the skimmer via a MaxiJet (600 maybe?) from the sump.

Thanks!

Jason

Old 02/01/2008, 01:44 PM   #778
nattydread
Registered Member

Trouble!

Ive had my 180 for a while now, it used to skim wonderfully. Now it it seems to want to overflow everyday, and the bubble quality it what it used to be. My sump level is constant, ive cleaned the thing inside out, and ive played with the air intake and skimmer return endlessly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thks.

Current Tank Info: 120 Oceanic tech, RK2 controller. Mrc sump. ER rs-180, Geo Kalk reactor w/ aqua medic doser/topoff, vortech x 2, Aquatinics solarflare,Phosban reactor, 40#s tonga, 75# Marco.
Old 02/01/2008, 02:04 PM   #779
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Originally posted by jthomps123
I just recieved my RC135. Im sitting here at work staring at it.

I have a couple q's if someone can help me out.

1: The exhaust: What is the best way to get the exhaust over the edge of my 12" high sump. It will be externally mounted and I dont think i have any room to raise the skimmer height due to stand limitations.

2: It came with a 45 degree elbow that looks like the 'directional return' although it does not fit... what gives?

3: Should it have come with a 'manual'. All it came with was a 'information sheet'. How can such an expensive piece of plastic come with such a dearth of documentation.

4: Would I be better of running the part of the overflow into the skimmer? Right now I plan to just feed the skimmer via a MaxiJet (600 maybe?) from the sump.

Thanks!

Jason
1. You have to find a way to raise it up. You can't tamper with the exhaust. I custom built a 40" stand so that I will never have to deal with ANY skimmer height issues again.
2. The 45 is prolly for inside the skimmer on the pump exhaust. It will direct the flow.
3. Agreed, it should come with a VERY detailed manual, but unfortunately they don't.
4. Yes, IMO it is better to run the skimmer from the drain. Will feeding it from the drain make your corals grow like mad and your fish get fat and colorful ? No. But its a more efficient way to feed your protein skimmer, and you'll save some money on the electricity end.

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 02/01/2008, 02:09 PM   #780
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
Trouble!

Ive had my 180 for a while now, it used to skim wonderfully. Now it it seems to want to overflow everyday, and the bubble quality it what it used to be. My sump level is constant, ive cleaned the thing inside out, and ive played with the air intake and skimmer return endlessly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thks.
Anything new you are adding to the water? Stress coat, water conditioner? Frag epoxy?

If not, the make sure the venturi is clear. I would carefully run a drill bit or something similar through is to make sure it is good to go.

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 02/01/2008, 04:37 PM   #781
scotmc
Moved On

Did ER ever get back to you?

Old 02/01/2008, 04:37 PM   #782
scotmc
Moved On

Did ER ever get back to you?

Old 02/01/2008, 04:49 PM   #783
johns
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
Trouble!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thks.
I'm having a similar problem with my RS 250. It ran fine for the first 9 months or so. Now it overlfows once a day, or every other day or so. It'll run fine most of the day, then suddenly fill up the cup for no reason I can tell. I'm not adding anything to the water or feeding anything different. In fact it seems not to be happening always after a feeding anyway - sometimes yes and sometimes no. I've used the same gate valve mod most of the time I've had it, and the sump level remains constant (it's in about 10 inches of water and I realize it's slightly high, but the point is this has never changed from day one).

It's become the norm for me to find the cup compleltely full with the top partially off and foam coming out every other day or so when I come home from work or in the morning when I wake. It happened tonight too. Once I empty the cup, without changing anything else at all, it is back to normal. It's like something makes it go crazy for several minutes and then back to normal. I can lower the bubble level in the skimmer by turning the gate valve down a bit to avoid the big daily spikes. But then I dont collect as much skimate or none at all while it is in 'normal' operation.

Is there some environmental condition that can cause this? Anything possibly thats more likely to occur in the winter? Or else that's just coincidence.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/component/zine/article/4

Current Tank Info: 190G Custom Starphire Peninsula, External Overflow, 30G Sump, 70G GrowOut, 2x400W MH + 4x54W T5 over peninsula, 1x250W DE HQI over GrowOut, Octo Pro 300 skimmer, Eheim 1262 return w/ Wavysea, 2xTunze Streams + 2 Nano Streams, Neptune ACIII controller
Old 02/01/2008, 04:58 PM   #784
scotmc
Moved On

This has been happening to me also. It has be running great for the past four months. It was really dialed in. Now, after a water change. I find it hard to adjust. I cleaned the pump and body. It did not really need it. I find, if you drop your water level and skim on the drier side, it's fine. I can't tell you, why this happened.

Old 02/01/2008, 05:48 PM   #785
melev
Moved On

That happens to me maybe once a month, and I would imagine it might be pump related since it doesn't coincide with feeding/dosing/top off incidents. Like you said, nothing has been done around the tank and suddenly for no reasonable reason, it pulls out much more than expected. Like if the pump were surging for a while. Just a guess.

Here's an updated shot of my skimmer from today. That is what it pulled out in 6 hours.

Old 02/01/2008, 09:01 PM   #786
scotmc
Moved On

I want to thank Clay for contacting me about my problem and talking with me on the phone. It was a back pressure issue, due to the fact. My pipe was in the water. Solution: cut the pipe, so it is out of the water. I think, this helps. I will know better, in a few days. I guess, I need to learn to read the instructions.

Old 02/01/2008, 09:23 PM   #787
jthomps123
Registered Member

I too want to thank Clay. Thanks for the info.

And thanks for the advice JimDogg.

My initial experience after 24 hrs:
I was advised to run the exhaust and the air intake wide open initially. Tonight, after about 24 hrs it is (for the last hour or so) producing enough foam make skimmate (breaking in and/or due to heavy feeding and hands in tank maintenance). Woohoo!

Will i eventually need to put on the air valve? I added a silencer from an old skimmer and it really quieted the gurgling down without seeming to impact the bubble production. The noise with no valve on it is completely unacceptable at this point. Im thinking that since it is wide open and already producing skim, that when it is truly broken in I will need to regulate the air intake...? Any input on this?

Thanks again guys!

PS - as if you guys didnt know but this is quite a step up from my Coralife SS 65!

Jason

Old 02/01/2008, 09:38 PM   #788
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

so the pipe that goes down into my water to let out the water and bubbles should not be in the water?? ooops...

let us know how much better it works with the tube out of the water...

PBITAWA
Old 02/01/2008, 09:43 PM   #789
scotmc
Moved On

The back pressure idea sounds correct. Clay told me, they are designed to work like this. He knows far more than me. I am sure it will help in adjusting the water level. I would do it.

Old 02/01/2008, 09:49 PM   #790
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

so they are designed to work with the outlet tube out of the water correct?? so i can take it off at the downward facing elbow and then im good right??

PBITAWA
Old 02/01/2008, 10:31 PM   #791
hansmatt
Registered Member

My outlet is about 1-2" below the surface, and I know that many others are as well, but I'm not surprised to hear it may be back pressure. I think this is pretty dependent on your skimmer output, water level, and any stand you may have it on. I don't think that it is necessarily wrong, or will cause backpressure in all cases (not mine) but it might be a solution. Give it a try!

Old 02/01/2008, 10:33 PM   #792
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Yes. The exhaust should not be submerged

Bradley Nowell

Old 02/02/2008, 08:10 AM   #793
johns
Premium Member

Spoke to Clay as well. And I'm also trying some things to reduce back-pressure. Hopefully this works. I'll post results here after I get some answers.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/component/zine/article/4

Current Tank Info: 190G Custom Starphire Peninsula, External Overflow, 30G Sump, 70G GrowOut, 2x400W MH + 4x54W T5 over peninsula, 1x250W DE HQI over GrowOut, Octo Pro 300 skimmer, Eheim 1262 return w/ Wavysea, 2xTunze Streams + 2 Nano Streams, Neptune ACIII controller
Old 02/02/2008, 09:10 AM   #794
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
so they are designed to work with the outlet tube out of the water correct?? so i can take it off at the downward facing elbow and then im good right??
Yes, you can do that, but your water will splash down. If you have the room in your sump, just angle the outlet tube up a little. That's what I did. I had to tie a filter bag around the output due to all the bubbles and noise from the water splashing

Old 02/07/2008, 11:24 PM   #795
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

when you clean the pump, do you soak it in the 1-2 viniger solution with the other parts?

PBITAWA
Old 02/08/2008, 12:01 AM   #796
flat broke
Registered Member

I've got a CS6-1 on a medium stocked 60 gallon cube with another 10 gallons in the sump. I've never really been too impressed with this skimmer (was on a 40 gallon before), and I'm on the fence with regard to a couple of options. I've read in this thread and another where people have swapped the Sedra 3500s for 5000s and all of the sudden the skimmer is a whole other animal (in a good way). I'd be happy to try that save 2 issues. First, the 2 Sedras I've had have been noisy, at least compared to my Ocean Runner return pump. The second issue is that I have the opportunity to buy an older CS8-2 recirc for under $200 but the pump is going out. I don't want to dump good money on another pump for the the CS6-1 if it isn't going to make that big of a difference, when I could use that money towards the CS8-2RC (assuming it woudl fit in my sump)

Would the CS8-2 RC be total overkill and effectively not the best choice for a 60 gallon cube that I'm trying to transition towards a predomintately SPS tank?

And if I decide to stick with the CS6-1 and upgrade the pump, do I have quieter options that will give comparable results to the Sedra 5000? I'm thinking the Ocotpus 3000 (supposedly based on the Ocean Runner) would be comparable; is less expensive than a NW Sedra 5000, and would hopefully be quieter. If ER ends up selling the GenX rotors for a fair price, would I need to look at a 2400 or 4000 to get the performance of the Sedra 5000?

Sorry for so many variables, and any input/insight is greatly appreciated.

As an asside, even though I've never been happy with the overall performance of my 6-1, I've usually gotten great web support from ER (although I'm still waiting on an email from a couple days ago), and every time I pull the skimmer out to clean it, I'm reminded of the stout construction, and feel like there is untapped potential.

Chris

Old 02/13/2008, 09:21 AM   #797
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Hey guys, simple question, what can i put under my skimmer (its in the sump) to quiet down the hum.... it was fine for like 3 months, but then i took it out and cleaned it, and now it is humming... the pump is like vibrating on the bottom glass i think... is there any type of foam or something that i can put underneath it to prevent it from doing this?? thanks in advance!

PBITAWA
Old 02/13/2008, 10:35 AM   #798
hansmatt
Registered Member

silicon pot-holder from kitchen store, or a few drops of silicon caulk, rubber bumpers, or a suction cup

Old 02/13/2008, 10:35 AM   #799
hansmatt
Registered Member

silicon pot-holder from kitchen store, or a few drops of silicon caulk, rubber bumpers, or a suction cup

Old 02/13/2008, 10:54 AM   #800
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

cool thanks!

PBITAWA
Closed Thread