Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 02/13/2008, 01:06 PM   #801
tygger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flat broke
I've got a CS6-1 on a medium stocked 60 gallon cube with another 10 gallons in the sump. I've never really been too impressed with this skimmer (was on a 40 gallon before), and I'm on the fence with regard to a couple of options. I've read in this thread and another where people have swapped the Sedra 3500s for 5000s and all of the sudden the skimmer is a whole other animal (in a good way). I'd be happy to try that save 2 issues. First, the 2 Sedras I've had have been noisy, at least compared to my Ocean Runner return pump. The second issue is that I have the opportunity to buy an older CS8-2 recirc for under $200 but the pump is going out. I don't want to dump good money on another pump for the the CS6-1 if it isn't going to make that big of a difference, when I could use that money towards the CS8-2RC (assuming it woudl fit in my sump)

Would the CS8-2 RC be total overkill and effectively not the best choice for a 60 gallon cube that I'm trying to transition towards a predomintately SPS tank?

And if I decide to stick with the CS6-1 and upgrade the pump, do I have quieter options that will give comparable results to the Sedra 5000? I'm thinking the Ocotpus 3000 (supposedly based on the Ocean Runner) would be comparable; is less expensive than a NW Sedra 5000, and would hopefully be quieter. If ER ends up selling the GenX rotors for a fair price, would I need to look at a 2400 or 4000 to get the performance of the Sedra 5000?

Sorry for so many variables, and any input/insight is greatly appreciated.

As an asside, even though I've never been happy with the overall performance of my 6-1, I've usually gotten great web support from ER (although I'm still waiting on an email from a couple days ago), and every time I pull the skimmer out to clean it, I'm reminded of the stout construction, and feel like there is untapped potential.

Chris

This huge thread may be of interest to you: (mesh-mod)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Old 02/13/2008, 01:20 PM   #802
flat broke
Registered Member

Yeah,

I've since given up on the CS8-2 RC as I can't fit it under my stand. That left me with modding pumps to revitalize the 6-1. Since ER still hasn't gotten back to me, I went ahead and modded an Eheim 1250 with some insight from threads and personalities here. I'll be testing it with a cut down Sedra 3500NW, Meshwheel, an ATB needlewheel, and a couple different venturi/air inlet ideas. I'm hoping for 500-600lph out of that setup. If not, I also have an aquaclear 802 that I'm making a new volute for and meshing a'la Hahnmeister's "pimp your pump" thread.

I guess the real question for me now is how much air can the CS6-1 handle? Obviously I want to max the air as much as possible, while reducing water throughput. This should help reduce the risk of driving the bubbles lower in the reaction chamber and out into the sump, or overfilling the skimmer.

Chris

Old 02/13/2008, 04:01 PM   #803
Chatouille
Registered Member

flat broke

I'm in the same boat with a CS6-1.... While I've never had a problem with it, it's never performed as well as the 5-2 that it replaced. I'm really interested in how you make out with your mod, and am looking to do something with mine also.

Last year, I bought the "new" impeller that ER came out with, but that didn't help much. To Chip from ER's credit, he did tell me before I purchased it, that might be the case. I've ordered some enkamat, and as soon as I lay hands on it, I'm gonna mod the original needlewheel.

Did you ever get a reply from ER? Still waiting on mine about repair/purchase of a new collection cup.

Old 02/13/2008, 07:22 PM   #804
flat broke
Registered Member

Never got a reply. At this point, I don't really care if I do. The skimmer body is what it is, and I'm sure either of the modded pumps I'm playing with will bring greater satisfaction than the Sedra 3500. Dwyer says my meter doesn't ship until the 15th, but I ordered it on the 12, so who knows what's up with that. At least it shows it coming out of their Anaheim CA location which is close to home.

I got my ATB needlewheel today, so I'm ready to test the Eheim 1250 as soon as the meter shows up. The volute covers are drying for my modded Aquaclear 802 which I'll also try on this body. I have a buch of images to upload and then I'll start a thread dedicated to this little project.

I got the same response by email a couple months back when I asked about the revised needlewheel. They basically said that with a 3500, it may not be worth it, but with a 5000 and up, it could give up to a 20percent increase. On the bright side, if you can use that needlewheel for another project, that could be good news.

Guess I should go upload some pictures onto webshots

Chris

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
Old 02/13/2008, 07:57 PM   #805
Chatouille
Registered Member

I'll definitely be following your thread when it goes up, and agree that as is, it's not realizing it's full potential.

I've been toying with the idea of buying an aquabee from a H&S to try out, and possibly doing the recirc mod. But I'd like to see how the sedra 3500 does with the mesh mod first.

Old 02/13/2008, 09:56 PM   #806
flat broke
Registered Member

Okay,

Here is the start of my thread on modifying pumps for the CS6-1
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5#post11843765

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
Old 02/13/2008, 10:04 PM   #807
Kayak_Guy
Registered Member

lol so after reading this thread, I guess the problems I'm having (not pulling much skim)

I should get the exhaust tube out of the water huh?

Old 02/14/2008, 07:23 AM   #808
tygger
Registered Member

If you're talking about what I'm thinking, YES, you should get the "exhaust" tube out of the water... which is more likely the air intake tube.

Old 02/14/2008, 10:23 AM   #809
Racenrich
Registered Member

hey all...has anyone ever experience this with the EURO-REEF Skimmer pump? Model: GX-6000.....

i contacted ER and of course im outta warranty...yet i was informed that these pumps DO NOT RUST....it has been sent in and will see what the outcome may be....
Just an FYI to see if im the only one?

Rich K.

Current Tank Info: 67g long (72x12x18), 30g Sump....10.5.yr old watchman golby!
Old 02/14/2008, 10:38 AM   #810
NewSchool04
Registered Member

Wow, did you just notice this rusting on the outside of the pump?!? I'm taking out my GX pump today to see what's going on.

Old 02/14/2008, 10:45 AM   #811
Racenrich
Registered Member

New....there was a slight discoloration on the outside of the housing...not much but enough to notice....had to pry the cover off and WALA....to be honest, i didnt notice it 6 months ago when i did my bi-annual vinegar soak...yet this time around i did.
Im sure there has to be some kind issue that could arise for RUST in your system?

RK

Current Tank Info: 67g long (72x12x18), 30g Sump....10.5.yr old watchman golby!
Old 02/14/2008, 10:58 AM   #812
chewie
Registered Member

I don't know what euro-reef was thinking when they started using GEN-x pumps.

The rust issue is standard on all of the gen-x i have seen. Euro-reef or not.

They use a "stainless steel" heat sink that is coated in epoxy. Usually during shipping the epoxy flakes off and in a few weeks you'll notice rust.

I* wouldn't be too worried about the rust though. I've had it happen in my own tanks and witnessed BAD cases in other tanks..

I always use some silicone and seal the metal heat sink with it.

Sedra's do not have the heat sink.

Old 02/14/2008, 02:01 PM   #813
Kayak_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tygger
If you're talking about what I'm thinking, YES, you should get the "exhaust" tube out of the water... which is more likely the air intake tube.
I'm not talking about the little silcone air hose...

I'm saying the PVC pipe that comes out of the side of the skimmer, with the elbow on it..

Old 02/14/2008, 03:39 PM   #814
Paulairduck
I LOVE FREE FRAGS!!!

The only time that I had a sedra rust, is when my impeller went bad.

Old 02/14/2008, 03:39 PM   #815
Paulairduck
I LOVE FREE FRAGS!!!

The only time that I had a sedra rust, is when my impeller went bad.

Old 02/19/2008, 11:27 PM   #816
mlb75
Premium Member

I'm getting ready to do a huge remake on my whole system and am interested in upgrading my existing 8-2 skimmer at the same time. I've had the skimmer since new for a few years now and while it does ok I've always thought it should be doing more.

The existing pump is an SP3 what are the good options to get this thing really working ie if I go to the SPE5 and a gate valve will that be comparable to the Deltec AP701?

Modded will this skimmer be good not just ok on the new system, should be ~210 display and probably another ~100 in support, or would I be better off just getting a new unit. I plan to do much more SPS in this system in addition to the moderate fish load I have in the current 180G system. The limiting factor in replacing the unit is height, I can't go to a 30" skimmer hence the comparison to the AP701.

Can I run ozone in this skimmer?

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
Old 02/21/2008, 01:36 PM   #817
HookedOnReefing
Premium Member

mlb75,

You can run ozone through your ER skimmer without problems/damage to your skimmer.

I would imagine that retrofitting your 8-2 with the SPE5 Eheim pump would make it comparable to the Deltec AP701. Yours would just be made out of better materials than the Deltec. Trust me, I know first hand as I owned the AP701 and just picked up a used ER CS8-2-RC model for my frag prop system.

Old 02/21/2008, 02:10 PM   #818
mlb75
Premium Member

thanks, I talked with the guys at ER and I think I'm going to hold off until they release the new 350 model and grab one of those as long as they come in at a reasonable price otherwise I'll probably go the SPE5 retro route.

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
Old 03/01/2008, 04:16 PM   #819
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Well,

I was going to do another write up on another version of the mesh mod, but after going all the way through it and taking pictures along the way, after hooking it up, the performance was no better, and slightly worse than before...

I have the Euro-reef RS80, purchased 5 months ago.

Here is a picture of my modded wheel.

Old 03/01/2008, 08:54 PM   #820
printedpaper
Registered Member

I'm looking for info on doing a recirculation mod on my cs80. I've read about it on this thread somewhere but I can't find it. anyone know where I can find this info and pics?

Old 03/01/2008, 10:58 PM   #821
tygger
Registered Member

What is that red stuff?

Old 03/02/2008, 10:44 AM   #822
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

The red stuff was mesh from a bag of cherry tomatoes from ralphs...

It was a little to stretchy to just pull it over the pins, so i have used some 4lb test leader to "sew" it to the wheel using all the holes that were already on the wheel.

PBITAWA
Old 03/11/2008, 12:39 PM   #823
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Hey, is it possible to drill out the air intake inlet on the venturi?? Mine seems to be getting clogged often, with salt creep and stuff... I already have a longer air hose that reaches out the back of the canopy, but i was wondering it drilling the inside of the venturi slightly larger, would have any positive/negative effect...

thanks in advance!

PBITAWA
Old 03/13/2008, 04:39 PM   #824
melev
Moved On

Yes you can. Euro-reef even provides the drill bit on their site.

Old 03/16/2008, 09:57 AM   #825
BucNtears
Registered Member

I have a euro cs5-3 and its on a 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump..My question is wll I be able to use this same skimmer on a 120 with a 30 gallon sump.? Or am I looking at just getting a bigger skimmer?..

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 120 with 75 sump/fuge
Closed Thread