Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 03/16/2008, 10:36 AM   #826
NewSchool04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BucNtears
I have a euro cs5-3 and its on a 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump..My question is wll I be able to use this same skimmer on a 120 with a 30 gallon sump.? Or am I looking at just getting a bigger skimmer?..

Thanks
You're probably going to want to upgrade. A RS 180 would be great, I run one on a 180 and it really kills it.

Old 03/17/2008, 10:10 AM   #827
fernandokng
Registered Member

Hi Gang,

I'm looking to get a Euro Reef RS 135 for my tank, and I heard that they are coming out new features? Not just on the RS 135.. but across all their lines?

Does anyone have any insight on what they are? Been looking around but couldn't seem to find any. And I don't want to drop money now, and only to realize something better is coming out new week.

Thanks!

Old 03/17/2008, 12:08 PM   #828
melev
Moved On

Fernandokng,

To Reef Central

You should check the Euroreef forum and/or their website. I think you're right about new stuff, but I don't believe it'll be out in a week. Typically a few people test the product for a bit to make sure all the kinks are worked out first, and I've not heard of anyone doing that quite yet.

Old 03/18/2008, 07:20 AM   #829
fernandokng
Registered Member

Hi Mark. Thanks for your feedback.

From what I've read, it seems that they are coming with a silencer and flow meter. I saw a good price for the RS 135 at $299, but that's because they were clearing out their inventory because EuroReef no longer sells through 3rd party.

I also saw looked into the Reef Octopus that everyone is raving about. I wonder if I should just wait it out and get a EuroReef.

Old 03/18/2008, 09:15 AM   #830
melev
Moved On

I've been using my Euroreef skimmer for years, and have no regrets at all. It is a reliable piece of equipment. And mine is several generations ago, as I bought it brand new from a guy who had it stashed in his attic for a number of years. It is the CS 12-2.

I've used other skimmers over the past 10 years, and this one has been the most painfree brand. So it is up to you if you want to wait or not.

Old 03/18/2008, 09:30 AM   #831
NewSchool04
Registered Member

melev, I have a question about the ER's. I used to run 2 smaller ES5-2's on my 75 and 30 gallon and I upgraded to a 180 and bought a RS 180 that I have been running now for about 3 months.
It's doing great but I'm wondering if the pump (GenX 4000) is not big enough for this sized skimmer. The body only fills about 1/4 with bubbles, the rest is just clear water. I have to clean it twice a week so it's really doing well but I keep thinking that I'm not running it as well as it could be run.

Can you think of any reason I'm not filling the whole body with bubbles and do you think it even matters?

Old 03/18/2008, 11:28 AM   #832
fernandokng
Registered Member

Thanks Marc!

Do you have the Sedras pump? How are they in terms of reliability, performance and sound?

I'm leaning towards the EuroReef as I'm not the type of person to tinker too much.

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I've been using my Euroreef skimmer for years, and have no regrets at all. It is a reliable piece of equipment. And mine is several generations ago, as I bought it brand new from a guy who had it stashed in his attic for a number of years. It is the CS 12-2.

I've used other skimmers over the past 10 years, and this one has been the most painfree brand. So it is up to you if you want to wait or not.

Old 03/18/2008, 04:46 PM   #833
ricwilli
Registered Member

I am getting ready to buy a used Euro RC135. It will be skimming a 120 with a 50 gal sump, medium load. Can this skimmer handle this?

Old 03/19/2008, 12:11 AM   #834
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NewSchool04
melev, I have a question about the ER's. I used to run 2 smaller ES5-2's on my 75 and 30 gallon and I upgraded to a 180 and bought a RS 180 that I have been running now for about 3 months.
It's doing great but I'm wondering if the pump (GenX 4000) is not big enough for this sized skimmer. The body only fills about 1/4 with bubbles, the rest is just clear water. I have to clean it twice a week so it's really doing well but I keep thinking that I'm not running it as well as it could be run.

Can you think of any reason I'm not filling the whole body with bubbles and do you think it even matters?
My own skimmer stays about 75% full of bubbles.

I would check the venturi closely. Check the rubber tubing. Check the ball valve if you use it. Check the plastic nipple where the tubing connects. Everything should be completely clean and clear.

If all three of those are good, I'd check the impellar next to see if anything looks like it is out of the ordinary.

And if everything looks fine, contact ER for customer support.

Last edited by melev; 03/19/2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03/19/2008, 12:25 AM   #835
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fernandokng
Thanks Marc!

Do you have the Sedras pump? How are they in terms of reliability, performance and sound?

I'm leaning towards the EuroReef as I'm not the type of person to tinker too much.
Yes, I have two Sedra 5000 pumps which I later Mesh-modded to create finer bubbles. Due to the modification, the pumps are less inclined to restart, but I recently found a solution that works every time: Turn on the skimmer pumps, and if one doesn't start up, pivot the pump so the intake is pointed straight up. For some reason, that impellar spins up immediately. I just pivot it back into its normal position. It takes about 2 seconds.

I think I've been using this skimmer for nearly 3 years on my reef.

Now if you don't modify it like I did, it should work just fine on a regular basis.

Old 03/19/2008, 12:28 AM   #836
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ricwilli
I am getting ready to buy a used Euro RC135. It will be skimming a 120 with a 50 gal sump, medium load. Can this skimmer handle this?
Yes, it should be able to do so. However, we all tend to upgrade and if you even think you might lean toward a heavy bioload, you might as well consider the RC 180 for a few minutes.

Old 03/19/2008, 09:25 AM   #837
ricwilli
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, it should be able to do so. However, we all tend to upgrade and if you even think you might lean toward a heavy bioload, you might as well consider the RC 180 for a few minutes.
The price that I'm getting for the RC135 is very cheap. If I upgrade, can I add another skimmer to the setup and run two skimmers at the same time? I have a Remora C laying around that I'm not using. Will there be any problems running two skimmers? I can't afford a new RC180 and no one is selling one.

Old 03/19/2008, 09:41 AM   #838
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Quote:
Yes, I have two Sedra 5000 pumps which I later Mesh-modded to create finer bubbles. Due to the modification, the pumps are less inclined to restart, but I recently found a solution that works every time: Turn on the skimmer pumps, and if one doesn't start up, pivot the pump so the intake is pointed straight up. For some reason, that impellar spins up immediately. I just pivot it back into its normal position. It takes about 2 seconds.

I think I've been using this skimmer for nearly 3 years on my reef.

Now if you don't modify it like I did, it should work just fine on a regular basis.
Which mesh mod did you do? The one where you add the mesh over the existing wheel? Or where you chop of the pins and zip tie the mesh to the wheel?

I drilled out my air intake on the venturi slightly. But now, at just below the collection cup, the bubbles are larger than usual... So im wondering, if now it is drawing more air, maybe i should mesh mod it to chop up the greater volume of air more efficiently. What do you think?

PS: this is an rs-80

PBITAWA
Old 03/19/2008, 11:00 AM   #839
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ricwilli
The price that I'm getting for the RC135 is very cheap. If I upgrade, can I add another skimmer to the setup and run two skimmers at the same time? I have a Remora C laying around that I'm not using. Will there be any problems running two skimmers? I can't afford a new RC180 and no one is selling one.
Yes, you can run two different skimmers, preferably two different methods like you've described. The ER is needle-wheel, and the AC is spray-injection. That works just fine.

Old 03/19/2008, 11:05 AM   #840
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
Which mesh mod did you do? The one where you add the mesh over the existing wheel? Or where you chop of the pins and zip tie the mesh to the wheel?

I drilled out my air intake on the venturi slightly. But now, at just below the collection cup, the bubbles are larger than usual... So im wondering, if now it is drawing more air, maybe i should mesh mod it to chop up the greater volume of air more efficiently. What do you think?

PS: this is an rs-80
The mesh mod will create finer bubbles. I cut the pins off my impellar, and ziptied it to the plastic disk. Here are some pictures:
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26439

Old 03/20/2008, 03:29 PM   #841
fernandokng
Registered Member

Does the mesh mod require more maintenance than the usual non modded? (keeping it clean for example, and inspection)

Quote:
The mesh mod will create finer bubbles. I cut the pins off my impellar, and ziptied it to the plastic disk. Here are some pictures:
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26439

Old 03/20/2008, 05:29 PM   #842
melev
Moved On

It requires being re-meshed every few months as it tears apart.

Old 03/20/2008, 05:34 PM   #843
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Hey marc how many layers did you put on it? Just 3?

PBITAWA
Old 03/20/2008, 05:40 PM   #844
melev
Moved On

3 layers is what works. You may even decide to do 2 layers if it is too 'fluffy'.

Old 03/20/2008, 05:48 PM   #845
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Could fluffy be bad?

Besides not allowing your pump to start again?

Assuming all the layers are slightly smaller than the diameter of the wheel, could you seemingly put 4-5 layers on and make it really fluffy?

PBITAWA
Old 03/20/2008, 05:50 PM   #846
melev
Moved On

If it is rubbing in the pump, it tends to not spin. You want just enough, but not too much.

Old 03/20/2008, 06:23 PM   #847
hansmatt
Registered Member

I just did the mod today on my ES5-3/dolphin 650 pump (sedra 3500) It took a bit of fiddling/trimming to get it so it was of the right "muff" . I used 3 layers fyi.

It isn't noticably louder, and I dont' have an air meter to quantify intake. I think it may take a day of breaking in to get things cooking but I hope it will delay the purchase of a larger skimmer.

Old 03/20/2008, 06:29 PM   #848
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

One question.

Are you guys zip tying it down tighly? Or are you leaving the zip ties loose at all?

PBITAWA
Old 03/20/2008, 06:33 PM   #849
melev
Moved On

I ziptie it as tightly as I can.

Old 03/20/2008, 06:54 PM   #850
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Thanks Answer Man!

haha

PBITAWA
Closed Thread