Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 03/20/2008, 09:40 PM   #851
danceswithfish
Registered Member

I just put my rs 135 in my sump and got it going and I am not sure how to ajust this bad boy. The bubbles are comming half way up the skinny tube at the top and are not filling the collection cup at all. This model has the feature of restricting the flow out of the skimmer to the sump. Should I fiddle with that untill I get the results I want?

Old 03/20/2008, 09:54 PM   #852
NewSchool04
Registered Member

just let it be, sounds like you have the bubbles breaking at a good level. Let it sit for 24 hours and then if you're still not getting any bubbles into the cup, adjust it a bit.

If you have one of the new skimmers, you need to twist it from OPEN to CLOSED, there will be a sticker on the pipe. You twist clockwise and just do it in tiny increments.

Like I said if your bubbles are breaking where they are, you probably are good to go. If you're not getting skimmate, then twist the pipe (can't remember what they called it) clockwise about 1/4". Watch to make sure you don't overflow your cup.

Small adjustments! Should take you a couple of days and you'll be dialed in.

Old 03/20/2008, 09:57 PM   #853
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

There is also a short break in period before it really gets skimming well. Keep the adjusting down for a week or so or until you get a stable head of foam, then raise it or lower it to adjust skimming wet vs. dry.

PBITAWA
Old 03/20/2008, 10:25 PM   #854
danceswithfish
Registered Member

Thanks for the response! What is wet and dry skimming and what is the difference.

Old 03/20/2008, 10:32 PM   #855
wsun083
Registered Member

question here on the ER RS-100. it comes w/ a sedra 3500 but i have a sedra 5000 laying around. would a 5000 work on the skimmer? would it perform better or it would just ruin the whole effect? TIA

Old 03/21/2008, 01:20 AM   #856
FishGuy5
Registered Member

When I last ordered my ER skimmer, i remeber when shopping around that there was a place who sold their "seconds" or imperfect ER's. Are they still around? Name/contact info if anyone has it. thanks

Old 03/21/2008, 10:11 AM   #857
r341ity
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wsun083
question here on the ER RS-100. it comes w/ a sedra 3500 but i have a sedra 5000 laying around. would a 5000 work on the skimmer? would it perform better or it would just ruin the whole effect? TIA
I have the same question. Heard a few people swapped pumps and it was a great improvement.

Old 03/21/2008, 05:51 PM   #858
Tennsquire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by r341ity
I have the same question. Heard a few people swapped pumps and it was a great improvement.
YES! By all means use the 5000. I have a CS 6-1, which has the same dimensions as the current RS100. It also had the same Sedra 3500 pump. I never thought it was all that impressive. I swapped for a 5000, and it's a huge improvement (also added a gate valve). Funny thing is, I asked ER if it would work, and they said no way, you need to buy a new skimmer (go figure, huh?). It is a totally different skimmer now. The only adjustment was fitting the new pump to the skimmer body, as the sizes are different. I used a small section of PVC, and it's perfect. Do it, you won't regret it.

Current Tank Info: 75 reef (2x 250 ReefOptix IIIs, AB 10k bulbs w/ 330 watt VHO, EuroReef RC135 skimmer, multicontrolled Tunze 6095's X2); 40 sps prop tank (Outer Orbit Pro 150, Euroreef CS6-1+ skimmer); 20 softie prop tank
Old 03/22/2008, 06:57 PM   #859
r341ity
Registered Member

is there a difference between ASM's sedras and ER's?

Old 03/22/2008, 07:08 PM   #860
melev
Moved On

Yes, you can not use the same pump on both skimmers. The PVC fittings are different sizes.

Old 03/22/2008, 08:12 PM   #861
o0jmadr0x0o
Registered Member

my euro reef's sedra 3500 stopped working today after unplugging it and then when i tried to restart it, it wouldnt start. i have had this happen before and i usually just give the mesh a little poke with something and it starts up, not this time. i think my magnet has swollen. can i use this impeller magnet?

http://www.fishsupply.com/ksp-im3500.html

and just put my meshwheel on it?

Current Tank Info: 75g
Old 03/22/2008, 08:39 PM   #862
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Well, I just got my sample pack of enkamat in from an online retailer.

I got some 7003, 7010, 7020, and some 7220.

In contemplating what would be better:

3 layers of the standard 7010?

or

1 Layer of 7220 which has a flat back and is thicker, and 1 layer of 7010.

I think putting 3 layers of the 7010 would be denser, but what do you guys think is best? A dense mesh? Or a lighter, less dense mesh?

PBITAWA
Old 03/22/2008, 09:12 PM   #863
wsun083
Registered Member

how do you know if you have an ASM pump or an ER pump?

Old 03/22/2008, 09:20 PM   #864
melev
Moved On

Ryan, I don't know. Can you post some pictures of the mesh?

wsun - the pump would come with its matching skimmer.

Old 03/22/2008, 09:38 PM   #865
zachslow
Registered Member

hello,

i have a brand new rs135 that's been running for 24 hours in my 100 gallon reef aquarium.

the problem i'm having is it's creating too many micro bubbles and it's filling up my aquarium to the point where it looks completely foggy.

i've attached a video i took of the skimmer in hopes someone might be able to help me fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHLkowE2jQ

can someone please let me know how to fix this. it's driving me crazy. thanks!

Old 03/22/2008, 09:58 PM   #866
fireman912
Registered Member

the water draining from my rs100 skimmer is below the water and that helped mine out. i noticed on your video that yours is draining above the water. what refugium are you using?

Old 03/22/2008, 10:11 PM   #867
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by zachslow
hello,

i have a brand new rs135 that's been running for 24 hours in my 100 gallon reef aquarium.

the problem i'm having is it's creating too many micro bubbles and it's filling up my aquarium to the point where it looks completely foggy.

i've attached a video i took of the skimmer in hopes someone might be able to help me fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHLkowE2jQ

can someone please let me know how to fix this. it's driving me crazy. thanks!
It looks like the water level in the refugium is too high, and the drop off into the return is too low.

Plus you have a brand new skimmer which will create some microbubble issues as it breaks in. Where is the output of the skimmer? Can you orient it to the far left so the water has more travel time before it passes the first baffle?

Where are those bubbles coming from specifically? The effluent of the skimmer, or the pump itself?

What return pump are you using? Did you have bubble issues prior to the skimmer being added?

Old 03/22/2008, 11:04 PM   #868
zachslow
Registered Member

thanks so much for the feedback.

the skimmer return pipe is actually facing the far left side of the sump--as far as possible from the first baffle.

the bubbles are coming from the return pipe.

i'm using an iwaki md-40rxt return pump. it was brand new as well, and doesn't add to the bubble problem. if i turn the skimmer off the water will slowly clear up.

the drop off from the refugium to the return is only 2 inches or so, and there is a mesh filter in between the two. i bought the sump/refugium from an awesome LFS--so i'd hope it was designed well enough not to create bubble problems!

are these excessive amounts of micro bubbles common for skimmer used for 24 hours? how long do they usually take to break in?

again, thanks so much for getting back to me

Old 03/23/2008, 12:40 AM   #869
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

you might have excessive amounts of something foreign in your water... conditioners, additives, etc. that could be causing an increase in bubbles.. it should settle down.

Marc,
I'll get some pics of the different types of mesh soon.

PBITAWA
Old 03/23/2008, 12:44 AM   #870
tbone28
Registered Member

zachslow - I tied a filter sock around the drain of my RS250 to help with the splashing. That should help with a lot of the bubbles.

Old 03/23/2008, 01:01 AM   #871
danceswithfish
Registered Member

I made a bubble tower for both my skimmer output and drain line from my display tank. Completly fixed my bubble problem.

Old 03/23/2008, 01:05 AM   #872
danceswithfish
Registered Member

My rs 135 output looks different then the one in the video.

Does this look right?'

Old 03/23/2008, 01:07 AM   #873
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by zachslow
thanks so much for the feedback.

the skimmer return pipe is actually facing the far left side of the sump--as far as possible from the first baffle.

the bubbles are coming from the return pipe.

i'm using an iwaki md-40rxt return pump. it was brand new as well, and doesn't add to the bubble problem. if i turn the skimmer off the water will slowly clear up.

the drop off from the refugium to the return is only 2 inches or so, and there is a mesh filter in between the two. i bought the sump/refugium from an awesome LFS--so i'd hope it was designed well enough not to create bubble problems!

are these excessive amounts of micro bubbles common for skimmer used for 24 hours? how long do they usually take to break in?

again, thanks so much for getting back to me
It can take up to 14 days to slime over all plumbing and equipment to reduce the bubbles. There are solutions around it, but they are usually work-arounds that involve extra labor long term (such as cleaning filter socks every three days ad finitum (forever)).

If you set up the sump properly in the first place, a lot of this can be alleviated. How long is that sump in inches?

Old 03/23/2008, 01:08 AM   #874
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by danceswithfish
My rs 135 output looks different then the one in the video.

Does this look right?

It looks as right as a skimmer can that is turned off.

Old 03/23/2008, 11:08 PM   #875
zachslow
Registered Member

the filter sock worked wonders! thanks everyone. it's been on for 2 hours and the water has cleared up a good bit. i also raised the skimmer out of the water so it's not 7" deep. that too made a huge difference.

Closed Thread