Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/16/2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Insurance Guy
Registered Member

Nano Tank Crashing

I have a 7 gallon Nano Tank- I did a complete water change and tank clean a couple weeks ago, my first ever. Made the unfortunate choice to hold my live stock in a 5 gallon bucket with cold water in it. They where in the bucket for about 4 hours. Now for the past couple of weeks my tank has been cycling. I had the water tested last week and they said the cycle seemed to be complete but I am still getting a dio bloom. Oddly enough in the morning when the lights come on, the tank is clear, then half way through the day the bloom blows up, sometimes by the end of the day it's gone. My corals look bad and haven't opened since the water change. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to control this bloom? How can I preserve my corals, is it to late? Any advice would be helfpul.

Insurance Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Rue
Registered Member

Why did you do a complete change and store your corals in cold water?

At this point I would just watch, not overfeed the tank, and do frequent water changes to min. the nitrates and whatnot...

I think you could do 2-3 50% changes a week until the tank stabilizes...make sure your new water is the same temperature. In a tank that small it's important to match temperatures.

Current Tank Info: RSM 34g; 27g custom frag tank coming soon! FW: 25g community, 55g goldfish, 25l plakat
Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Insurance Guy
Registered Member

I hadn't cleaned the tank in almost a year and I had a couple of snails and crabs die and my corals started not looking so good, so, I thought it would be a good time to change out the water and add some more sand. My tank sits in my wall at my office. It is only 5 inches thick so with rocks it makes it hard to clean systematicaly. My heater for my water is actually in my wall so I didn't have access to it, the water sat for most of the day so I thought it would be closer to room temprature, once I started the cleaning process I couldn't stop so I figured a short time in cold water wouldn't kill them. This is my first salt water tank and I have been trying to learn how to manage it on my own as the friend the built it and helped me with it at first, I think is getting a little tired of answering my questions.

Old 01/16/2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Rue
Registered Member

...ask the questions here! S'all good!

But what you've in effect done is start a brand new tank - so you're cycling all over again.

Keep doing the water changes. Monitor the parametres carefully and somehow try and implement a regular cleaning regime.

Current Tank Info: RSM 34g; 27g custom frag tank coming soon! FW: 25g community, 55g goldfish, 25l plakat
Old 01/16/2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Insurance Guy
Registered Member

I bought some new, larger, thinner rocks and have pulled out the numerous smaller rocks I had that were making it dificult to clean. I'm just concerned about my corals as they haven't fully opened in about three weeks.

Old 01/16/2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Rue
Registered Member

They're stressed. Just watch to see that they're not dieing...if they are, you're better off pulling them rather than letting them add to the ammonia load...

Old 01/16/2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Insurance Guy
Registered Member

so by "pull them" do you mean toss them out or is there somewhere I can put them, like a holding tank, until they recoop? How can you tell if they are dying?

Old 01/16/2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Rue
Registered Member

Yes, I meant pull them out of display tank -

You can try holding them elsewhere to see if they actually do recover - it's amazing how often that actually happens...but then you need another tank set up.

As far as the dying goes...depends on the coral...on those with skeletons you see obvious die-back...on acros and montis you'll also see the white skeleton. Zoas I'm not sure about...but I imagine they 'melt', as would leathers and mushrooms...

I can't offer you much more advice beyond watching for die-back and doing frequent water changes to start to stabilize the parametre again. Good luck!