Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/24/2021, 12:05 AM   #1
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Unhappy Paranoid about ick!!!!

I have been in reefing since 1989....set up over 20 reefs and never had a problem with ick until my last two set ups....both got ick and wiped out crazy amount of expensive livestock... I am so paranoid now....
I never used to quarantine but I am doing it now...and I really cannot afford the space that the QT tank is taking up...I want to get rid of it....but cant yet....
My fear is I really , really do not want to QT corals and Inverts...
I put a UV on the reef recently....
Am I asking for trouble if I just dip corals and rinse inverts?
Is anyone out there using Safety Stop instead of Qting? Is it working?

My mind is racing on this subject....I am very frustrated..
I love reef so much I do not want to leave it...been at it over 30 years but these last two ick wipeouts really took the wind out of my sails....

any advice recommendations welcome.

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I have zero trouble with ich, with old-fashioned precautions and zippo caution with inverts. First look at your specimen SOURCE, as the source of problems, if you have cleared it out of your tank with a 72-day regimen. You may be reinfesting your tank every time you get a fish or specimen from whatever source you are using---or from a qt tank if it is not cleaned and sanitized. A few ich strains are strong and persistent, so you might go 82 days, just as a 'I did everything possible'---a bit more extravagant, but not too. That will clear it from your rock and sandbed. Anything WET can be a carrier. I don't think even encysted that it can withstand a dry-out.

My recommendation is take extreme measures to clean up, then change sources. A shop can sustain itself on re-buys from people who have been infested by their stock only so long before that person goes out of the hobby or changes sources, and I would definitely say buy elsewhere, because if you have taken every precaution and done all you can do, and you are still getting it, that has to be how.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Talking thanks Sk8r

Much appreciated,
Yes I dont trust ANYYY source any more...
People say QT but some people's definitions are inadequate to beat the problem.... Your right I do not want it in my tank again I am in Fallow until Nov 28th..and I have fish in QT right now that will be ready to be introduced to the tank at that time.... I am thinking about scrapping the QT concept and just using a product called SAFETY STOP...on all fish... along with a 40 watt UV I just installed...I am thinking should be enough...What are your thoughts?

I do not plan on quarantining corals...or inverts....I will dip the corals and rinse the inverts but thats it...so yesssss it can get back in but I feel I will put the odds in my favour enough with above action...what you think Sk8r?
Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Once you are sure of your tank, then I would just trust regular qt and a magnifying glass for the fish rather than trust any fish med to do that job (the FDA exerts zero control on claims about fish meds, and some of it is pure snake oil---I do not know this med, but I question its ability to penetrate a sub-skin cyst and kill the occupant)---I'd just go the routine qt, dip the corals, and then be real fussy about source. Look at every tank in the LFS and realize that they likely ALL run through one universal sump. I have gotten fish from one local lfs (clean) and from Live Aquaria (clean). And our feed store has started doing saltwater, and they have been clean...got good fish guys running it. If you don't feel comfy with a store, I say try one of the major online companies, because if they screw up, the internet word gets around fast. Main thing is, be sure your operation is clean, and you might put one hyper-susceptible fish of your qt'd lot in first and give them 2 weeks to see if they break out in spots. That's one way of testing a tank's cleanliness: put in a tang or rabbit that should be clean and clear. Ich goes for them bigtime. But they also have good reserves to battle it off again, so you wouldn't lose that fish. [Only time I've seen ich in one of mine since 2007 was on a rabbit. Absolute magnet for it. And if you don't want one, you could qt it, test with it, then give it back to the lfs once assured it's clean. I don't think that's dirty pool if you gift it back. It's taken no damage.]

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote