Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/29/2007, 08:11 PM   #1
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

Cloudy Water after water change

I changed out about 8 gallons last night in my 54 gallon tank. I also scraped a good bit of green algea off the top 4 inches of the glass - it's weird green algea - mag floats don't stand a chance against it, I have to scrape it with a plastic razor blade glass scraper with all my strength to get it off. Anyway, there's several new/different things- so I don't know what's the culprit for the cloudy water...

8 Gallon Water Change, I don't have a TDS meter, but my filters are only about 4 months old in my RO/DI- I am planning to get a TDS meter, and to get new RO filters soon.

Algea scraping- I have never scraped so much at one time.

I set up 2 two little fishies phosban reactors - one with carbon and one with phosar just 3 days ago.

I fed the GBT anemone some shrimp last night, and an hour ago I noticed about an inch long piece sitting in a fairly still area in the tank- I took it out and it really stunk.

Everything in the tank looks great- except the anemone- it looks like it just went poo, but I'm not sure it did, and it's been like that with no sign of improvement for about 3 hours.

Nitrates are almost zero, Alk is 8-9, calcium is low at 380...

ReefGirlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 08:30 PM   #2
demonsp
Moved On

How often do you do water changes?
How long did the water mix and circulate before you added in the main tank?

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 09:02 PM   #3
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

I try to do water changes weekly - but it's usually every 10-15 days. This time it was about 2 weeks, so I did 8 gallons instead of the usual 6-7. The water did mix much longer this time than usual, I didn't think about that being a possible cause. I made it up Monday night and put a powerhead in it. I usually change it the same night, but I was too tired, and ended up not able to change it Tuesday either...so it was just shy of 48 hours, with a powerhead in it.

Old 11/29/2007, 09:05 PM   #4
McCrary
Can't Stop Time

My water gets cloudy for the night when I do water changes, I don't know why, but it hasn't done anything to hurt my inhabitants that I know of.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 09:06 PM   #5
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

Did you add water to the salt or salt to the water. It should be the latter or you get calcium precipitation. If it is precipitation it should clear within a few days.

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 09:13 PM   #6
demonsp
Moved On

A week or more with powerhead is fine if powerhead enough to move the water. New salt batch or bag? And mixing pre adding best and overnight good.

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 09:16 PM   #7
celano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McCrary
My water gets cloudy for the night when I do water changes, I don't know why, but it hasn't done anything to hurt my inhabitants that I know of.
x2 It only last about 4-5 hours in my tank but once it does clear up....man does the tank look sweet!

Current tank info: The space between what's wrong and right.
celano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 10:24 PM   #8
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

Mine sometimes gets a little cloudy for a couple hours right afterwards, but this was over 24 hours ago, and I don't think it was cloudy this morning. I added the salt to the water, not vica versa, and the salt is not brand new, it's Instant Ocean- 5 gallon bucket, I've used it for about 5-7 water changes already.

Old 11/29/2007, 10:44 PM   #9
kydsexy
Moved On

is the water cloudy before you add it to the tank? add the water slower

x2 ^^^

kydsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2007, 10:50 PM   #10
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

no, the water wasn't cloudy, and it really wasn't cloudy after I added it, maybe just very very slightly cloudy- but when I came home from work tonight it was much more cloudy. I mean you can still see everything just fine- it would still be great visibility for diving but it's just kinda cloudy, and doesn't seem to be going away.

Old 11/29/2007, 10:54 PM   #11
McCrary
Can't Stop Time

Weird, I have no idea what would cause that when doing a water change. Have you checked to make sure that nothing has died or anything like that? Bacterial blooms can also cause water cloudiness as can ammonia blooms.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

also, note the color of the cloudiness:

gray = bacteria or dust or precipitation or a halimeda/caulerpa crash
green = phyto or some other microalgae bloom

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2007, 08:20 AM   #13
m2434
Registered Member

I've had this happen after scraping "green coraline" algae and then doing a water change. I think what's happening is the algae is composed largely of calcium carbonate and it is floating everywhere after scraping it. The fresh water is supper saturated with ca and carbonate and these molecules "bump" into the free floating calcium carbonate -from the algae and start to flocculate.

Old 11/30/2007, 11:16 AM   #14
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

the cloudiness is more gray than green- but actually I'd call it white...

m2434- you may be right about the green coraline- I had never heard of it until recently, but I think that might be what I have on my glass. Does anyone know an easier way to get rid of it?

Old 11/30/2007, 11:34 AM   #15
sk8rreefgeek
Registered Member

what i do is use 2 buckets. while the 1 is filling up with water in the sink, (2-3 gallon w/ measurements in it) stir the other (5 gal) with salt and let it dissolve for a while before pouring it in. Impatience use to cause me to pour in the salty water too fast and the water would get pretty cloudy. Also, using two buckets gets the job done a lot faster! try it out

Current Tank Info: Drilled 55g, 14g sump, coralife 125 SS: mated pair of b&w misbar clowns, ywg
sk8rreefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2007, 05:24 PM   #16
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

it's not really cloudy any more- but my nem looks terrible and the green open brain has shrunk down almost showing it's skeleton...what should i do?

Old 11/30/2007, 05:29 PM   #17
sk8rreefgeek
Registered Member

what kind of shark do you have? I didn't think they were reef safe

sk8rreefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2007, 08:41 PM   #18
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

2 different tanks, the shark is a bamboo cat shark or a banded cat shark or something like that- he's for sale, and when I get rid of him I will convert that tank to a reef tank as well.