Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 12/26/2007, 09:32 PM   #701
Tennsquire
Registered Member

I feed my RC 135 with a maxijet powerhead. Low cost, low watts, and it gets the job done. I also had lots of spares after I ditched them and splurged on Tunzes....

Current Tank Info: 75 reef (2x 250 ReefOptix IIIs, AB 10k bulbs w/ 330 watt VHO, EuroReef RC135 skimmer, multicontrolled Tunze 6095's X2); 40 sps prop tank (Outer Orbit Pro 150, Euroreef CS6-1+ skimmer); 20 softie prop tank
Old 01/03/2008, 01:56 PM   #702
ASaleem91
Registered Member

Hey,
I have a CS8-2. It has not working so great lately. The bubbles at the top of the skimmer cone are very small and are not becoming any larger at all. I do not understand why its doing this because as I look on this thread I see that people's skimmers are taking out crazy amounts of gunk, but mines isnt. Has anyone had this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali

"I'll believe it when I see it"

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Old 01/03/2008, 01:56 PM   #703
ASaleem91
Registered Member

Hey,
I have a CS8-2. It has not working so great lately. The bubbles at the top of the skimmer cone are very small and are not becoming any larger at all. I do not understand why its doing this because as I look on this thread I see that people's skimmers are taking out crazy amounts of gunk, but mines isnt. Has anyone had this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali

"I'll believe it when I see it"

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Old 01/03/2008, 02:06 PM   #704
cwklinge
Registered Member

I have an old ER 6-1 and my pump just died. I've prefer to stay away from the Gen-X or Sedra pumps. What else is out there that I can use. I'd like to mesh mod whatever I get.

Old 01/03/2008, 02:34 PM   #705
the tiler
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASaleem91
Hey,

Thanks,
Ali
How long has it been running?
If you have a picture of it running it might help us also

Jason

Current Tank Info: 28 Gal JBJ HQI
Old 01/03/2008, 05:15 PM   #706
scotmc
Moved On

Any new designs going on with ER. Do you think they will ever make a cone shaped skimmer?

Old 01/03/2008, 05:59 PM   #707
zaireguy
Registered Member

been looking at a rc750 but I have heard some bad things about the pumps in the fourms as to the replacement cost of the pumps

my wife and I have come to a new understanding! I don`t ask and she doesn`t have to say no anymore

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon main tank,70 Gallon sump,70 gallon remote sump, reef octopus 300- 12 inch skimmer, skimz Biopellet reactor
Old 01/12/2008, 02:17 AM   #708
roushracer
Registered Member

I just got my new RS80 and I think something is up with the pump.

It's extremely loud and makes a humming/whirring type sound, even when on a silicone pad. I took a look at the pinwheel and magnet and compared them to my friends RS80's and they look fine.

Also i'm really not getting any bubbles, well very few bubbles compared to my friends RS80 I borrowed when I was deciding on a skimmer.

Man, after all the trouble trying to order an Octopus NW150 and then finally saying "screw it" and picking this up, it's just so disapointing.

I know the skimmer has to break in, but it should be making a ton more bubbles.

I know it's not my setup either, as when I borrowed my friends I had the thing totally dialed it in and it was kicking *** pulling all kinds of nasty skimmate. His is also 100% quieter than mine.

Any tips on what may be the problem or what to look out for?

Old 01/12/2008, 02:24 AM   #709
melev
Moved On

It sounds like the venturi is closed or blocked in some way.

Old 01/12/2008, 08:41 AM   #710
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Is there any packing peanuts in the NW? I'd try inserting a small drill bit into the venturi nipple just to make sure it isn't blocked

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Old 01/12/2008, 08:59 AM   #711
sjm817
On Yer left!

Make sure the venturi is not backwards. Small end on the outside. Be sure the air nipple is not obstructed.

Old 01/12/2008, 09:29 AM   #712
siwelk
Registered Member

hello fellow euro-reefers,

i have a CS5-2 that i purchased used off of a member in the classifieds section. it is for a 30g reef that i am currently in the process of putting together. the skimmer has some deposits left on the pvc on the inside of the body. i was wondering what the recommended cleaning method would be to get it in shape to start skimming for its new owner.

i apologize if this has been covered already, right now i dont have the time to read every page. i plan to in the coming days though. any help is much appreciated.

TIA.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:21 AM   #713
melev
Moved On

Lewis, you can set up that skimmer in a small tank or rubbermaid bin filled with warm water and white vinegar. Let it run overnight, and it will be very easy to wipe down and look good as new. Rinse it well, then it is ready to use.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:36 AM   #714
siwelk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Lewis, you can set up that skimmer in a small tank or rubbermaid bin filled with warm water and white vinegar. Let it run overnight, and it will be very easy to wipe down and look good as new. Rinse it well, then it is ready to use.

thanks melev, i thought it would be something along those lines.

also, thanks for your informative website. it helped me very much when planning a sump and fuge.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:45 AM   #715
melev
Moved On

No problem.

Now don't be shocked if you read on my site that I use muriatic acid to clean my ER skimmer. I like faster results and bubbles, plus the familiar sting to any minor cuts on my hands.

Plus that nice sizzling sound when I pour out the solution once done.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:55 AM   #716
siwelk
Registered Member

Quote:
No problem.

Now don't be shocked if you read on my site that I use muriatic acid to clean my ER skimmer. I like faster results and bubbles, plus the familiar sting to any minor cuts on my hands.

Plus that nice sizzling sound when I pour out the solution once done.

haha, i hope i can keep that stuff off of my hands. i planned on using some to clean my marco rock. a diluted solution of course. i chose the acid for the fast results too. plus it was a little cheaper than buying a bunch of vinegar.

Old 01/12/2008, 12:11 PM   #717
viggen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwklinge
I have an old ER 6-1 and my pump just died. I've prefer to stay away from the Gen-X or Sedra pumps. What else is out there that I can use. I'd like to mesh mod whatever I get.
I purchased 2 Sicce 2500's for my ER RC-500 & I am in the process of modding them. I purchased them from protein-skimmer (or is it skimmers) .com & he sells a meshmod kit for them. I do not know if this pump is to large for your skimmer but they are suppose to perform very well!! ER wanted $250 per pump for a eheim 1262 & I needed 3 to equal 2 GenX4100's. Thus paying about $280 for the 2 Sicce pumps with the meshmod kit was a no-brainer

Old 01/13/2008, 03:57 PM   #718
roushracer
Registered Member

Well I checked the venturi, everything looks good. I also tested the pump by swapping needlewheels with my friends working RS80 and his still worked while mone did the same thing even with his pump internals.

I also swaped pumps all together and his ran fine on my skimmer body, so it's nothing with the actual skimmer.

I'm totally stumped now, I guess the only thing I can do is try and get a new pump.

I'm not sure if I want to even go through the hassle though as I can just return/exchange the whole thing and be done with it. Bad thing about that is having to eat the shipping cost...

Haven't contacted Euro-Reef yet, as I just recieved the skimmer Friday and tomorrow will be the first actual business day for me to hopefully get ahold of them.

Old 01/13/2008, 04:38 PM   #719
melev
Moved On

It sounds like the impellar isn't turning for some reason. The body of the skimmer fills up with water?

And forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but is the venturi tubing connected to the pump (tightly) and the other end is above water?

Have you tried blowing in the tube briefly to get it started? Sometimes this is necessary.

Old 01/13/2008, 08:22 PM   #720
SparkPlug
Registered Member

Maybe one of you guys can help me out here....

i have a brand new RS-100 on a 75gal with a 30 sump.
I'm not 100% sure to calculate flow through the sump but the return pump is 650gph,the overflow is 600gph and the display has 3800 gph total (return included).

I've tried running the skimmer in the 6-8inches they recommend and I've also adjusted the foam level from the coupler to the recommended area in the neck....my problem is i am getting absolutely no skimmate... the tank has been running about 2weeks now curing rock... everything is in working order and the skimmer body is completely white with bubbles,..they just stay at the point i set them at and never collect any skimmate.

any suggestions ?????

i haven't contacted ER yet as i figured id ask here first.

Randy~

Old 01/13/2008, 09:02 PM   #721
roushracer
Registered Member

Quote:
It sounds like the impellar isn't turning for some reason. The body of the skimmer fills up with water?

And forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but is the venturi tubing connected to the pump (tightly) and the other end is above water?

Have you tried blowing in the tube briefly to get it started? Sometimes this is necessary.
First off, just wanted to say thanks for the replys

Yes, the body fills up with water and I get some bubbles but nothing compared to my friends pump on the same skimmer. Very few bubbles, and looks not nearly as turbulent (spelling?)

The tube is connected tightly and also free of any blockage and the end is well above water. I also tried it straight open and with the tee on a few different settings.

I also did try blowing through it, this is what a LFS guy said might work.

The pump is still very loud, hard to explain but like a loud vibration/humming type sound. I thought the pinwheel might be getting hung up on something inside the pump housing, but after a close inspection, we couldn't see anyhting that might be causing the problem.

I'm not giving up yet though!

Old 01/13/2008, 09:28 PM   #722
melev
Moved On

If water is in the body, then the pump's impellar is working. And while the noise might be bothersome, it doesn't affect how the skimmer works in most cases. Usually that is vibration against the body of the skimmer of the floor of the sump.

Did you take off the venturi tubing and blow in one end while holding the other end near your check to feel the air flow? Just some stuff I do when things are odd.

Did you look in the venturi hole to see if you can see through it? If you shine a flashlight into the intake, you should be able to see the light through the tiny venturi tube.

Old 01/13/2008, 09:31 PM   #723
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SparkPlug
Maybe one of you guys can help me out here....

i have a brand new RS-100 on a 75gal with a 30 sump.
I'm not 100% sure to calculate flow through the sump but the return pump is 650gph,the overflow is 600gph and the display has 3800 gph total (return included).

I've tried running the skimmer in the 6-8inches they recommend and I've also adjusted the foam level from the coupler to the recommended area in the neck....my problem is i am getting absolutely no skimmate... the tank has been running about 2weeks now curing rock... everything is in working order and the skimmer body is completely white with bubbles,..they just stay at the point i set them at and never collect any skimmate.

any suggestions ?????

i haven't contacted ER yet as i figured id ask here first.

Randy~
The flow through your sump doesn't really have anything to do with the skimmer. And it is around 600gph or less, since that is what your drain can handle and your pump can provide.

If your rock is curing, the smell must be noteworthy. Odds are the water is foul enough for the skimmer to work, so perhaps the water level isn't high enough in the skimmer yet. Raise it up to within 1" of the riser section in the cup and see how that works. Let us know.

Old 01/14/2008, 05:35 PM   #724
SparkPlug
Registered Member

im thinking it was just caked with sediment from the 90lbs of sand i put in about a week ago.... i took it out and throughly cleaned the whole skimmer and its actually pulling foam into the riser now instead of just bubbling.

i'll get some skimmate pics as soon as it starts to collect.

Thanks, Randy~

Old 01/14/2008, 06:12 PM   #725
euroreef
Registered Member

MELEV / SPARKPLUG,

Actually the flow rate through the sump does affect skimmer performance. The slower the flow rate through the sump, the larger the amount of NEW aquarium water the skimmer will be able to process with each pass. Your skimmer will be more efficient if you slow the flow rate down to 2-3 times the system volume per hour max.

Hope that helps

-Jeff

Closed Thread