Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/27/2017, 01:04 AM   #1
Reefing_It
Registered Member

Question Hitch Hiker Crab

Hey everybody,

I am new here and have recently set up a pico reef tank. It is about 10 litres or 2.6 gallons.

Today I got an elegance coral and before it started extending out I noticed what looked like a piece of its skeleton had broken off. However on closer inspection, it was a little round piece of shell or something that was acting as a door. Behind it i could see the moving legs of what looked like a tiny white crab. When I tried to get a photo the circular shell door thing had closed over the hole, covering the crab. It kind of reminds me of a funnel web spider.

I only just got this coral and am worried I have released something nasty into the tank. The coral looked healthy at the shop. Does anyone on here have an idea of what this hitch hiker may be?

Thanks.

Reefing_It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Reefing_It
Registered Member

Also I have a bubble coral and I just accidentally dropped a small piece of gravel into it when I was doing some rearranging. It closed up a bit the way it does when I feed it. Will it be okay?
Thanks again.

Old 02/27/2017, 01:36 AM   #3
Reefing_It
Registered Member

I worried for nothing... the bubble coral spat out the gravel and is reopened in all it glory! :P

Old 02/27/2017, 05:01 AM   #4
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Honestly, I would remove any hitch hiker crabs.

Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2017, 07:00 AM   #5
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

It could be an Acro crab... they are a white shell or sometimes a dull purple and they are actually good for certain corals as they eat certain diseases off of certain coral in exchange for shelter.. but I would do more research to find what kind it is and see if it's ok with your corals or he will eat them

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2017, 02:08 AM   #6
Reefing_It
Registered Member

Thank you, he did look similar to some of the white acro crabs. If it isn't a acro crab and is going to cause problems, how can I catch it?

Old 02/28/2017, 03:04 AM   #7
Reefing_It
Registered Member

Heres a picture of the little trap door it hides behind. I don't get much time to view it before the elegance expands and covers it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17036788_1335975199758873_2060731174_o.jpg (35.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 02/28/2017, 08:19 AM   #8
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

You could get a clean pair of tweezers and go down and get a hold of him and pull him out if you don't want him

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2017, 11:25 AM   #9
T-dub
Registered Member

Are you sure it was legs like a crab? I've seen spaghetti worms with a similar structure. They have "legs" that come out but they are generally very long and not "crab like" My bet would be some kind of worm.

T-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Reefing_It
Registered Member

That is a possibility. Tonight when the lights are out I might sit and watch to try and identify it better.

Tags
crab id hitchhiker, hitch hiker coral