Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/02/2007, 10:36 PM   #1
stan the man
Registered Member

DIY 10 gallon all in one

Thinking of setting up a 10g to house some soft corals and a pistol shrimp/watchman goby combo (or just some shrimp if the tank isn't big enough). I have a box of powerheads to choose from, various peices of glass, eggcrate, and acrylic, and a single light (15" long) which has two 18w CF bulbs.
The kicker here is to do this using the materials and equipment I already have on hand. I have also considered using an old Via Aqua 10g (15"h x 15" long by 9" deep) but have shyed away from this due to the inability to include any type of internal filter. Also, the standard 10g will be easier to upgrade later if I want different lights (which will probably be the case).
The idea is to hide everything behind the internal baffle do the tank has a clean look, and a minimal footprint.
Any suggestions?

stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

I've seen 10g and made a 10g with a Simple overflow, and used a 4"piece of PVC, cut in half and cut teeth/weir in the top, I guess its more a surface skimmer... I siliconed it in place, and put my AC intake tube, Heater, and cut a place for my powerhead output, and it worked well, all my equipment was out of sight, and it was functional... I only wish i took a pic..

Bmgrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2007, 11:04 AM   #3
stan the man
Registered Member

Right now, I am leaning toward the smaller (footprint wise) Via Aqua tank, as I found an old AC 70 (same as AC 300) that will work well with a DIY skimmer tube. I think I will go with a relatively small diameter pipe and cut teeth along the top edge, painting both it and the back glass blue or black using Krylon fusion paint. I will make the overflow just big enough to fit a heater in addition to the intake tube of the HOB filter.
The light will still be the 2x18 CF, as it is a perfect fit for the tank.
I don't think 300 gph is a good idea, so I will probably be modding the impeller by reducing the size of the blades, with the goal being a flow of around 1.5x tank volume.
Still limits me to softies and such, but that will be fine for me in a tank this size.
Any suggestions on setting up the AC 70? I am thinking of a mini fuge with DSB, rubble, and a bit of macroalgae, but it will be on such a small scale, I am a bit unsure how to fit everything in there.

Old 12/03/2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

It comes with 6 impellers, I found if you break them down to 3, the flow is just enough, adequate but not too much in a 10

The DSB is NOT NOT a good idea in the fuge. the way the pump is set up the sand bed will block the pump and you will end up destroying the filter, trust me on this one, If you set it up with just the LR rubble and the Chaeto, you will rid your tank of Nitrates and Phosphates in no time..

Bmgrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2007, 09:01 PM   #5
stan the man
Registered Member

Oops. Just looked at the filter after I posted and realized it wouldn't work that way. Good to know you have had success sticking with rubble and cheato. My biggest concern now is whether or not the pistol/goby combo will work for this tank or not. Figure I will need more sand in the display for the shrimp to burrow in.
I am planning to set this up in the next 2-3 days using water from my FOWLR tank, and a bit of the arragonite gravel to seed the sand in the nano. Waiting until I can get to the LFS and pick over the LR for some neat small pieces to use. Should be a bit of Tonga, mostly Fiji, and maybe some Keallini.
I'm going to go real slow with the stocking on this.

Old 12/06/2007, 06:28 AM   #6
stan the man
Registered Member

Okay... so far, I have painted all the trim on the old Via Aqua tank (it was a translucent green) flat black, and painted the back glass deep blue.
I also sectioned a piece of 4" PVC for a simple overflow, now attached to the back glass about 1/3 of the way from one side. I went ahead and drilled holes into this, as I am planning to epoxy short lengths of 1/2" PVC to live rock, then "hang" them on the overflow itself. This will serve to keep the rock off the sand a bit, plus facilitate maintenance and good water circulation. I left space inside the overflow for both the AC 70 intake tube and a submersible heater (I hope), but it is pretty tight.
I'm now starting to think about the hood...

Old 12/10/2007, 09:28 PM   #7
stan the man
Registered Member

I am debating whether or not to place a 100gph powerhead in the bottom of the overflow, to ensure there is flow throughout the tank...
So far, I have the AC 70 ready to go, the lights set up (2x18w CF), a small 50w heater, and the tank itself painted with black trim and a deep blue background. I'll finish the overflow tomorrow, then see if I can figure out how to post pics, which I hope to take tomorrow as well.
I am planning on using a 13w CF flourescent bulb I found at Lowe's for the AC 70 'fuge (5000K), and stocking it with LR rubble and cheato.
Livestock plans are for a single turbo snail, a few small hermit crabs, and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo my LFS has been stocking.
LR should be around 8-10 lbs, but I am really going to work to get several shelves and ledges in the design, which may be a bit of a challenge in such a small tank.

Old 12/11/2007, 07:39 AM   #8
thrillreefer
Registered Member

Have you seen this tank? Might give you some ideas: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1265768

thrillreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 07:38 PM   #9
stan the man
Registered Member

Wow. Loved that one. I was going to do something like that originally, but decided to use the tank I already had.
I love the way the set up is so clean, yet very efficient.
I am in the process of finishing up the top of my overflow. Getting it to fit cleanly against the AC 70 is a bit of a trick, but easier now that I am sectioning the overflow (the top edge is a seperate piece, which will be siliconed onto the existing overflow, with about a 1 inch overlap).

Old 12/13/2007, 06:51 PM   #10
stan the man
Registered Member

Okay...
After seeing the link from the last post and sharing it with my wife, she suggested a spot on our kitchen counter for the tank...which won't fit due to its height.
Problem solved--buy another tank. I now have a 10 gallon standard to work with, which will have a refugium/filter on one end, with the other three walls of the tank open for viewing.
I am still going with the same lights, but swapping over to dual powerheads with an alternating timer.
I'm excited, as I have always wanted to set up a "room-divider" tank like this on a bigger scale, but now get to do a "counter divider" version.

Old 12/13/2007, 06:56 PM   #11
stan the man
Registered Member

How do I post pics?

Old 12/13/2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Agu
Registered Member

If you're still going to do the pistol shrimp/goby combination make sure the shrimp has plenty of building materials. My first tank didn't have enough and frags disappeared. Second tank had this under two inches of sand,

Also make sure all your rock is firmly on the bottom. Pistol shrimp are diggers.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 09:11 PM   #13
stan the man
Registered Member

Agu,
Thanks!
I have a quantity of Caribbean live sand and needed to add to it to get my 2" depth. This will do the trick. I've recently seen bags of untreated shells for sale at the craft store...I'll check and see if this is an option. I am also going to throw somw live rock rubble in the sand too.
Glad to hear these guys are diggers, as that's what I'm getting them for. I have been watching a few combos at the LFS, and wondered if they'd continue to be so active.