Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 01/12/2008, 05:16 PM   #651
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
melev the 120g she wants has eurobracing and starfire and she can use the lights she has and wont need another halide and 6 ft tanks are more expensive to move water in as well, i think the 120g is a good size.
+1

Old 01/12/2008, 05:17 PM   #652
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
the only difference in the overflow is the shape of the overflow itself it is low profile and flat not rounded like reef ready tanks and it is a center overflow.
Yea, I've seen the overflows in person on a 70g tank.. that was what we liked.. the low profile and the starphire... just never seen the kits that go with it. I guess that makes sense that they would be the same.

Old 01/12/2008, 07:23 PM   #653
GSMguy
Registered Member

I like the eurobracing for the 70gTT you could use one 400w SE halide it would be perfect
i almost bought a 70G TT not long ago but decided to just upgrade my skimmer instead.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Old 01/12/2008, 07:44 PM   #654
NanoGurl
Moved On

It's a very kewl tank. Make a good eel tank (:

Old 01/12/2008, 08:07 PM   #655
bohlke
PBITAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Yea, I saw those before... I liked the idea of the controllers, but wasn't sure if that was really needed on my level of tank. I'll check them out again thnx.

Its not even a question for me, temperature control alone is worth it. The ph monitoring is just an extra bonus

Check out my reef tank upgrade project by clicking on the red house.

Current Tank Info: 120G mixed reef
Old 01/12/2008, 08:13 PM   #656
NanoGurl
Moved On

Okay... temp control? Explain that please.

Old 01/12/2008, 08:26 PM   #657
FroMan
Insane in the Brain

Quote:
It took a bit for my ASM to break in too. I am thinking the 250 as well.
Are you happy with your ASM?? I'm not all that satisfied with the way my ASM G3 skims. I find that it is difficult to get it to perform consistently and to keep the bubbles at the same level in the neck. I realize that there will be some fluctuation, but I find it to be rather touchy which forces me to skim on the dry side.

Old 01/12/2008, 09:18 PM   #658
bohlke
PBITAWA

Quote:
Okay... temp control? Explain that please.
The $0.45 temp control that comes on most heaters gives me fits, out of the 5 heaters I have only one actually behaves properly. The others stick on or off for any unknown reason. Its not unusual for me to see the tank temp at 80 and both heaters on full. Sometimes the tank is almost 77 and the heaters are not running. Right now I combat this with a "binary" control system, for most of the hours of the day the power to my heaters is on, when the full lights are on the power to the heaters is off. Sometimes I have to overide this depending on about 37 factors since I have been working form home and the house temp has been stable this hasnt been as bad as it will be very soon.

With a controller you can script actions based on temp, Marc has a great description of these on his site. The EE (remember you cant spell geek without ee) in me wants to get a PLC and do my own control but thats super overkill. The controllers out there provide so much functionality for the $ its hard not to get one. I will be getting an AC Jr as soon as my new tank has water in it or as soon as the temp warms up again ( during spring and fall the temp in the house is all over the map) whichever comes first.

Old 01/12/2008, 10:00 PM   #659
NanoGurl
Moved On

Ahhh okay thanks. I thought you meant temp control with the Tunze Controller... not a temp controller (:

Old 01/12/2008, 10:00 PM   #660
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by FroMan
Are you happy with your ASM?? I'm not all that satisfied with the way my ASM G3 skims. I find that it is difficult to get it to perform consistently and to keep the bubbles at the same level in the neck. I realize that there will be some fluctuation, but I find it to be rather touchy which forces me to skim on the dry side.
I like my ASM. I don't have anything to compare it too.. but for me it's worked well. It also took a bit to work properly, but once it did I liked it.

Old 01/12/2008, 10:03 PM   #661
bohlke
PBITAWA

Quote:
Ahhh okay thanks. I thought you meant temp control with the Tunze Controller... not a temp controller (:
I have been getting lost in threads recently, sorry for any confusion

Old 01/12/2008, 10:08 PM   #662
NanoGurl
Moved On

lol it's probably more me then you no worries =)

Old 01/15/2008, 01:30 AM   #663
NanoGurl
Moved On

Monday Update!

Well we went to check out the new house this weekend... things are coming along well. They got cabinets installed and will be installing the granite this week, so that's exciting =)

They have pretty much finished the unfinished storage area (fish room). Here are a couple of photos of it.

The tank will go on the wall to the right.

Other side of the room.

We will probably go ahead and drywall the room and tile it at some point.. but not sure when yet.

Old 01/15/2008, 04:55 AM   #664
NanoGurl
Moved On

Question for all you DIY ers.

If we setup the tank in that room, then finished it off while the tank was in there.. how risky is that? Assuming the top of the tank would be covered to prevent dust/sanding.. but what about fumes from drywall, paint, tile and such?

I know it would be better to finish that first, but would it be unsafe to do it with the tank in the room?

Old 01/15/2008, 05:06 AM   #665
2farNorth
Moved On

Naaa, you'll be fine!! Like you said yourself, just cover it to keep dust and junk out, you'll be good!!!

Old 01/15/2008, 06:01 AM   #666
muelpaul
Registered Member

I agree, as long as it's covered you will be fine. Things are coming along nicely, thanks for the pics NG

Old 01/15/2008, 09:02 AM   #667
jcpatella
Premium Member

I just painted my living room which caused my skimmer to freak. A good recommendation given to me was to run my airline tubing (connected to the skimmer) to an outside source. So even if you have the tank covered up, it would be receiving much of it's oxygen from a clean source.

Current Tank Info: Biocube 8 on the way!
Old 01/15/2008, 09:34 AM   #668
kookerson
Registered Member

didnt like the number a replies, so Ill give a courtesy bump!

Old 01/15/2008, 09:34 AM   #669
kookerson
Registered Member

didnt like the number of replies, so Ill give a courtesy bump!

Old 01/15/2008, 11:18 AM   #670
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:

If we setup the tank in that room, then finished it off while the tank was in there.. how risky is that? Assuming the top of the tank would be covered to prevent dust/sanding.. but what about fumes from drywall, paint, tile and such?

I know it would be better to finish that first, but would it be unsafe to do it with the tank in the room?
It'll have an affect, but it's surviveable. Be diligent in covering the tank and ensure good air turnover in the garage and you'll be fine. I've experienced the same thing with a skimmer and painting... it'll go crazy.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Old 01/15/2008, 11:38 AM   #671
melev
Moved On

I would finish the room before putting the tank in there. The finite dust from doing drywall work gets in everything, and you'll be cleaning the tank, the sump, the equipment... it'll never end. When I had to cut a 12" x 12" hole in the ceiling of my fishroom, I tarped off the reef and sump. 2 minutes worth of cutting, and I was ready to install the vent fan. Lots of white dust fell down the tarp as expected.

Then when I took the tarp down, I found some dust on top of the lighting, the top flange of the tank, some was swirling on the surface of the water, it was on the perimeter of the sump, on the skimmer, the calcium reactor, etc. And that was just because of a tiny hole. Imagine doing that entire room.

Just get the room done first, at the very least drywall, textured and painted. That'll take a week tops, if you are taking your time. It would have been nice if they would have sheetrocked the ceiling at least, as that is the worst part of the job.

Btw, since you have those exposed walls, you can add a bunch of handy outlets to the existing circuit(s). I'd put a few up high (like 4 or 6 outlets) for lighting and fans, and at least 10 down low, not too close to each others so that when you have larger wall-wart plugs, they won't cover up other ones.

Old 01/15/2008, 12:42 PM   #672
Nanz
Premium Member

Quote:

I agree with what Melev said... Murphy's law.. Something can go wrong then it will go wrong, hehe. Just be patient and wait until the room is finished.

Nuvo 30, Razor Nano LED, Tunze ATO, Tunze 9004 skimmer, Vortec mp10,
Old 01/15/2008, 12:49 PM   #673
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks everyone for the replies and thoughts.

I know waiting is probably better... the problem with that is it might be a while before we are able to finish that room ... and I was thinking about having the new 120 setup when we moved everything to the new house.. so I would only have to move the fish once.

If we wait, we'll have to setup the 75 somewhere else then setup the new tank whenever we can finish the room... which I guess we could do. Grrrr more decisions!

Old 01/15/2008, 12:49 PM   #674
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
I agree, as long as it's covered you will be fine. Things are coming along nicely, thanks for the pics NG
YW you know I love pics! =)

Old 01/15/2008, 12:50 PM   #675
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I just painted my living room which caused my skimmer to freak. A good recommendation given to me was to run my airline tubing (connected to the skimmer) to an outside source. So even if you have the tank covered up, it would be receiving much of it's oxygen from a clean source.
That's a really good idea

Closed Thread