Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 02/01/2008, 07:41 PM   #951
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks. I am going to try it out tonight and see how it works for us.

Old 02/01/2008, 11:14 PM   #952
NanoGurl
Moved On

Well we tried out the new epoxy tonight.. it seemed to work okay for the smaller rocks... I don't think it's going to work for what we wanted to use it for... but I think it will work good for small rocks and/or plugs and corals. Kinda frustrating tonight with the rocks so we walked away.

Here is a photo of two small rocks joined together with the epoxy. They are small Marco rocks that we got...

And here is one idea we came up with for the rocks. I can't seem to get a good photo to show the depth and the caves/crevices.. but it gives you an idea. This was the best we came up with... so yea we walked away!

Old 02/01/2008, 11:20 PM   #953
chris wright
Moved On

Don't worry, you've got plenty of time to get the look your after.

Try a different epoxy to hold the rocks together. 2 part epoxy would work well, just give it time to cure.

Old 02/01/2008, 11:22 PM   #954
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks... it's a two part... we had to roll it together to make it start activating. I just am not sure if it will be strong enough to hold two large rocks together.

Old 02/01/2008, 11:44 PM   #955
JJ4417
Registered Member

Stop me if you have seen this...ya know...for inspiration. Acrylic rods, two part, and zip ties...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1288059

Old 02/02/2008, 12:54 AM   #956
NanoGurl
Moved On

We tried pvc rods and zip ties... with zip ties they were too ugly... and drilling the rock was hard without breaking the small pieces. So we tried the epoxy.

Anyone want to buy a brand new tech 120?!?!? grrrrr

Old 02/02/2008, 02:11 AM   #957
melev
Moved On

That putty stays soft for several hours, but it will become rock hard. I like it because it is sticky even underwater, and stays pliable for a while.

Old 02/02/2008, 02:16 AM   #958
NanoGurl
Moved On

It's pretty hard right now... i put a bit of pressure on it but not too much... do you think it would be strong enough to hold two large rocks together?

Old 02/02/2008, 02:19 AM   #959
cbui2
Premium Member

is this mainly use for rocks or could this be use for sps too?

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
Old 02/02/2008, 02:20 AM   #960
NanoGurl
Moved On

It's good for everything so I've been told... I can see how it would work great for coral frags.

Old 02/02/2008, 02:27 AM   #961
cbui2
Premium Member

looks like at almost that time again "splits baby" this thread sure is moving right along, any word on the new crib?

Old 02/02/2008, 02:28 AM   #962
cbui2
Premium Member

forgot to post this too, your one of those night owl too

Old 02/02/2008, 03:44 AM   #963
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
looks like at almost that time again "splits baby" this thread sure is moving right along, any word on the new crib?
Yea, we've been going over to the new house every week or so. We had a problem with the flooring they installed, so my bf made them rip it out and replace it... which caused some issues and a bit of a delay.. but nothing really bad.

They are installing the floors and carpet this week. We are going on Sunday to see it.. my mom is coming down from out of town to see it.. so that's exciting.

Here is a photo of the new kitchen partially finished. They did a great job on the granite that we picked out.

Here is a photo where the new tank will be going. They are installing carpet, but we are going to pull that up and put down our own tile.

Thanks for asking (:

Old 02/02/2008, 03:45 AM   #964
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
forgot to post this too, your one of those night owl too
Eh... not really just stressed out. My cat is really sick so I am up a lot of the time with him.

Old 02/02/2008, 06:14 AM   #965
customclimates
Registered Member

Looks great! One question for you. Why don’t you ask the builder what the carpet allowance was & put that towards tile instead of doing it twice?

Old 02/02/2008, 06:29 AM   #966
jerryvan
Registered Member

Hello--I have used that epoxy and it will hold just about anything. Put the rocks the way you want it and use Zip ties or any kind of clamping devise and walk away for a day and this stuff will hold it if anything will. Then after it has cured take the ties off. The secret is dont touch it. I have always used it under water so I think It will be better dry. Works great on new corals and frags. Thanks Jerry

Old 02/02/2008, 11:08 AM   #967
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

I love that corner window above the sink.

I may have missed it but will you be putting the new rocks in water to "age" a long time before setting up your tank? What ration live to base rock will you be putting in your new tank?

Sorry if you have mentioned this before, I have a problem with keeping up at times.

Current Tank Info: 180 display, 100 gal DIY fuge/sump, DIY skimmer.
Old 02/02/2008, 12:07 PM   #968
cbui2
Premium Member

that's cool having center island for your stove, what are your plans for hood vent? great color choice granite used as my wife did the same thing.

Old 02/02/2008, 12:35 PM   #969
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by customclimates
Looks great! One question for you. Why don’t you ask the builder what the carpet allowance was & put that towards tile instead of doing it twice?
Thanks! The builder would have given a small credit towards tile, but they wanted $2500 to tile cheap tile in a 10' x 14' room... i can't even imagine what they would have charged for the entire downstairs.

And you have to have something installed for closing, you can't just have bare concrete in a "finished area" so we just had them put down the level one carpet that comes free with the house. My bf is going to tile it all for us.

Old 02/02/2008, 12:37 PM   #970
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryvan
Hello--I have used that epoxy and it will hold just about anything. Put the rocks the way you want it and use Zip ties or any kind of clamping devise and walk away for a day and this stuff will hold it if anything will. Then after it has cured take the ties off. The secret is dont touch it. I have always used it under water so I think It will be better dry. Works great on new corals and frags. Thanks Jerry
Thanks for the advice and info. I will try to clamp it if we do something large... but that sounds like a good idea =)

Old 02/02/2008, 12:40 PM   #971
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
I love that corner window above the sink.

I may have missed it but will you be putting the new rocks in water to "age" a long time before setting up your tank? What ration live to base rock will you be putting in your new tank?

Sorry if you have mentioned this before, I have a problem with keeping up at times.
Thanks =) I like the windows too... but we have 32 in our house and it's going to be so expensive to cover them...

I have been waiting until we got the epoxy to try and make the rock work set dry before adding it to the water to cure and what not. It has a bunch of dead stuff on it.. so it's going to be awhile for sure.. and I"m running out of time.

I am not sure how much LR I am going to use yet... we get the tank on Tuesday... so I am thinking about putting the rock in there "dry" to get a feel for it.

Old 02/02/2008, 12:43 PM   #972
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
that's cool having center island for your stove, what are your plans for hood vent? great color choice granite used as my wife did the same thing.
Thanks =) The stove has a down draft vent and another that pops up with a push of a button... it comes out of the counter like 4" i think... then exhausts down into the basement and through the side of the house to the outside.

This is about the only decent photo I have of the granite tops so far. I will get more on Sunday.

Old 02/02/2008, 01:17 PM   #973
Ziggy953
Registered Member

Very nice!!

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder - RKE - LEDs the works...
Old 02/02/2008, 01:44 PM   #974
melev
Moved On

With a palace like this, you deserve a BIGGER TANK!!!

Old 02/02/2008, 02:23 PM   #975
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
Very nice!!
Thanks =)

Closed Thread