Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/26/2007, 12:54 PM   #1
sfarid123
Registered Member

Question Hang on Refugium choices for 55g w/BTA

Hi,

I'd like to improve my water quality for my BTA with a hang on refugium. Which hang on would you suggest that is not super expensive?

thanks

sfarid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 09:38 PM   #2
vlogic
Registered Member

There are quite a few choices out there, but I only have personal experience with the cpr unit (w/o skimmer). Excellent quality!

Honestly, if I were to do it all over again, I would just take the time & money to get a sump and a quality stand (to fit a bigger sump ) rather than the HOB. Don't get me wrong, I used my HOB fuge for years, and that tank is now my acclimation/qt tank, but the additional water volume you would get from a sump, not to mention the ability to hide more of your equipment makes the a full sized sump a better option (just my $0.02).

If you are still going to get one, don’t bother spending the extra $$ on the ones with a skimmer. You can probably get a better quality/more productive skimmer separately.

vlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 09:56 PM   #3
sfarid123
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply,

What kind / size of sump would you suggest for a 55g?

Are there any sites you can suggest?

BTW I have a Aqua C remora w/ mag3 Skimmer

Old 12/27/2007, 02:17 PM   #4
vlogic
Registered Member

The Aqua C will get the job done for your size tank from my experience.

I would just get the biggest sump that you can fit in the furniture. The more additional water volume you have the better.

You can check out some of the sites associated with aquarium equiment to get a premade sump. I don't want to recommend one, since I have not purchased a sump from any particular place. I actually had mine custom built.
If you want to go the custom route - check out Trigger systems, and Melevs reef. I've heard great things about both.

Old 12/27/2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Shewillbemine
Registered Member

If you're looking to be cost-effective, have you considered modifying an HOB filter such as the AquaClear?

Shewillbemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 02:41 PM   #6
osprey3883
Registered Member

Hello,
As a total side note, the hang on type refugiums appear on e-bay pretty frequently for cheap.

Matt

osprey3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 06:58 PM   #7
sfarid123
Registered Member

My cabinet space under my tank is only 8/34" wide. I have not seen a custom made sump with that measurement.

other than that I don't have any space around the tank.

Last edited by sfarid123; 12/27/2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:02 PM   #8
sfarid123
Registered Member

Would an Aqua clear or a HOB provide enough filter to absorb any phosphates for a 55g?

Would it also provide enough pods for a mandarin goby?

thanks

Last edited by sfarid123; 12/27/2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:19 PM   #9
timrandlerv10
Registered Member

not enough pods by far

i'm having the same issue now...you may be able to grow pods seperately, and then seed the tank each week to help keep the population high. large amounts of small rock (like rubble), dosing phyto and not having other pod eaters will help.

you CAN keep a mandarin in a 55, but from what i've seen, it looks like a lot of work

i'm trying to keep one in a 75 w/55 sump. i'll have a special spot in the fuge with a ton of rubble just to help spur pods on.

timrandlerv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 09:47 PM   #10
sfarid123
Registered Member

Do you guys suggest a DIY Tupperware fuge that would fit
underneath a 55g?

I'd probably have to find one that is hopefully not wider than 8 3/4"

Old 12/27/2007, 10:23 PM   #11
timrandlerv10
Registered Member

...you're talking about the size of a shoebox...unless you specifically build it to breed pods, its not going to be much help im afraid...

Old 12/28/2007, 09:59 AM   #12
sfarid123
Registered Member

Thanks,

I heard Mandarins can accidentally wonder off into an anemone. Have you ever had that experience?

Old 12/28/2007, 10:41 AM   #13
timrandlerv10
Registered Member

what i've heard is that it depends on the nem--sebae, helianthus, yes. btas no.

Old 12/28/2007, 02:17 PM   #14
vlogic
Registered Member

Ah, the mandarin scenario!

I agree - as mentioned above, unless you are going to introduce new pods weekly, and cultivate them elsewhere, a 55 with a fuge that small will not do the trick. I looked into this for month when I was considering it in a 40g. Every person I know that has had success with this (in a smaller tank), had to supplement feeding for the mandarin for it to say nice and fat/healthy.
Some people will take the time to train the mandarin to eat frozen stock (hit or miss). But this particular fish is “constantly” hunting for food, and needs a constant supply of pods to remain healthy.
Also, you must make certain, that there is no other competition from other fish in the tank, that eat pods (ie. some wrasses, even some shrimp and occasionally some clown fish – mine will actually eat pods off the glass).

However, I would still consider a fuge. It will help stabilize the tank's ph at night (if you have it on a reverse light cycle from your tank’s lights) and provide natural prey items for your fish from time to time -not to mention, a bit of nutrient absorption.

As far as the custom sump is concerned, you would have to contact someone that makes them, tell them how much space you have, and they "may" be able to create something for you. Also, many people will make their own sumps out of an old tank they may have lying around (10g, 20g, etc.).
And did you mean 8/34 feet or inches wide? A sump with ~ 24" in width is very possible and functional. Also, keep in mind you will need a return pump and some sort of overflow for the water circ.

Best of luck!