Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 04:10 PM   #1
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

Calcium climbs on its own? 525ppm+

Fairly new but I understand at least some basics, with very little help other then reading I've had corals and fish survive thus far (6 months).

HOWEVER.....

I've from the very start always seemed to have an issue with the DKH being towards 11.5-11.8 and Calcium rising on its own regularly.

I use only natural seawater (plan to change to instant ocean and do my own) and that reads about 400ppm then within a week my tank reads 500ppm+ up to 550ppm. So I water change 5gallons weekly with 55gal+30gal sump.

I know dKH will affect calcium in the water that shows up in a test...correct?

What then is the relationship? In general it seems high dkh=low calcium numbers. I don't have that, in my case both are high. I'll do a PH test as well monday night when I have the kit. I'm at a bit of a loss.

What is the solve to this situation, or rather what is the problem causing it?

Why can't coral tanks be more like Turbo -Engines ?
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 06:23 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The alkalinity won't affect the result of the calcium test. For calcium to rise, it must be added in some water to the water. The kit might have a measurement issue, though, as well.

What's being dosed into the water, and what's in the tank? Any artificial live rock? Which test kits are being used?

Old 01/12/2008, 06:29 PM   #3
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

ive used 2 diff kits..... nothing dosed... only base rock and live rock.

API and salifert.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Billybeau1
Registered Member

I've never seen calcium rise on its own. As Bertoni said, if your calcium is indeed rising, something must be adding calcium to your water.

Let me ask you this.

We all have evaporation that we must replace water to keep the levels up between water changes. Do you replace evaporated water with salt water or fresh ?

Replacing evaporated water should always be done with fresh because the salt doesn't evaporate. just the water.

Top off (as we call it) should contain no salt. Otherwise you will see exactly what you are seeing.

Billybeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 07:30 AM   #5
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

I replace evaporated with RO/DI as water evaporations is = to distilled water ad thus contains little more then pure H20. That said I figure RO/DI is what it should be replaced at. My salinity levels support this thus far, however, I found that the best would be 5% or a little more Salt and 95% RO would perhaps be the best as it seems some salt does make it's way out of the tank I'm assuming other things do as well such as calcium, STILL becacuse of my issue I replace 100% with RO/DI.

Old 01/13/2008, 07:31 AM   #6
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

I replace evaporated with RO/DI as water evaporations is = to distilled water ad thus contains little more then pure H20. That said I figure RO/DI is what it should be replaced at. My salinity levels support this thus far, however, I found that the best would be 5% or a little more Salt and 95% RO would perhaps be the best as it seems some salt does make it's way out of the tank I'm assuming other things do as well such as calcium, STILL becacuse of my issue I replace 100% with RO/DI. I keep 5 gallons of RO in the back room for this cause, I have a level on my tank that I run it at in general and when its low myself or my wife will top it to that level.

Old 01/13/2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Billybeau1
Registered Member

Well i'm at a loss then, unless it has something to do with the NSW you are using.

Lets see if this continues when you switch to a synthetic sea salt. It shouldn't.

Keep us posted.

Old 01/13/2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Percula9
Registered Member

Maybe the natural seawater that your buying is being dosed to raise alk and calcium levels at the store. There might be testing issues.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 01:44 PM   #9
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

I asked that, its "scripts NSW" I tested it and its 380-400ppm on my API kit.

Then after a week of being in my tank its 525ppm or so. Very odd I'd assume.

Old 01/13/2008, 01:51 PM   #10
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

on the matter of salt..... I'm gonna use instant Ocean as it has the lowest calcium numbers. Also I have enough to do a few water changes free. That said to make my own water.....whats the best method once I have RO/DI water in a few 5 gallon jugs. I figure I can measure the salt...dump it in and then use an airstone ( i know its not recommended but figure the top of the water jug is quite small...and i'll sort of seal it off some how. Then would it be an ok way to accomplish this? Or should I use a drill with a flat attachment that'll fit inside to stir perhaps? This way its not messy.

Old 01/13/2008, 02:14 PM   #11
Billybeau1
Registered Member

11 gallons is about 20% for a 55 gal tank. I wouldn't venture much beyond that at on time.

You can go to your local department store and buy a 15 galllon rubbermaid container for peanuts. They don't take up much space.

Make yourself a 12 gallon mark. Fill with ro/di and add about 6 cups of IO. Put in a small power head and a heater. Check salinity and adjust as necessary up to 35 ppt or whatever you target.

Run overnight to allow equilibrium and you are good to go.

This is how I do it, only I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid and make 15 gallons at a time.

I even drilled a hole in my rubbermaid and put a float switch on it so I can make ro/di overnight and the float switch shuts off the unit at exactly 15 gallons.

Old 01/13/2008, 03:07 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

The seawater source should be fine. Something must be dissolving in the system, or perhaps there's some sort of test kit issue, but I admit I don't have any useful ideas at this point.

Old 01/13/2008, 06:56 PM   #13
dhesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 05TurboS2K, the English Major
My salinity levels support this thus far, however, I found that the best would be 5% or a little more Salt and 95% RO would perhaps be the best as it seems some salt does make it's way out of the tank I'm assuming other things do as well such as calcium, STILL becacuse of my issue I replace 100% with RO/DI, I keep 5 gallons of RO in the back room for this cause, I have a level on my tank that I run it at in general and when its low myself or my wife will top it to that level.
Doude, this has to be the longest run-on sentence that I've ever read. That being said, there is something in your tank that is falling apart. Like a piece of LR or something. Thats all it could be, unless the magic calcium fairy is dropping by and trying to kill all that aptasia(sp) that you have.

Best.

dhesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 07:32 PM   #14
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

Thinking while writing....it happens. I HOPE thats my record.

I a few months back I did break a piece of LR in half..... Yet I don't see it "falling apart" Could it dissolve at this rate?

Old 01/13/2008, 07:36 PM   #15
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

I just realized, part of is is type-O. Just before "STILL".

Even so it is a pretty impressive sentence I must say.....

Old 01/13/2008, 07:47 PM   #16
dhesq
Registered Member

It could be, you know, anything is possible in our tanks. There are many many variables that are so niche. In the maintenance business, we see all kinds of same problems, but a variety of causes. The aptasia thing was a silly joke. I use a syringe full of liquid calcium to kill off those damn things in some tanks.

Best

dhesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Percula9
Registered Member

The rock can only dissolve if the pH went really low. I think your calcium level is due to a testing error.

Old 01/13/2008, 10:41 PM   #18
A.T.T.R
Registered Member

if it was testing error he wouldent get consistent low then high results

btw did oyu say you add salt to your top off.. DONT not as much salt leave the tank as you think. i went a year before doign a water change and use an ATO ( keeps it exact) sg was at 1.026 exactly the same as when i set it up lol

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon display
A.T.T.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 12:46 AM   #19
Percula9
Registered Member

If the kit is bad then it would consistently give bad results.

Old 01/14/2008, 09:16 AM   #20
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

I measure salinity to keep it on the ball, but in general I'm topping off 100% RO/DI. and were talking 2 diff kits.

Old 01/14/2008, 09:41 AM   #21
fatrip
Yup That Stuff

yes the test would be consistantly bad but he meaused the new salt water and it was 380 to 400. this is consistant with the water he gets but he test his tank water and gets the 525 result. this should conclude that his test are accurate and being done properly. you would see the normal salt water be off from its Ca readings if the test kits were off. and he would have to have very very very bad luck to get 2 test kits that were bad and off that equally from 2 diffent manufactorers...lol

by the way this is a very bizare thing that is hapening to your tank. is the Ca still climbing or has it platued at 525ppm?? could be nice you dont need a Ca reactor now...lol

"We learn from history that we never learn anything from history." Hegel

Last edited by fatrip; 01/14/2008 at 09:47 AM.
fatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 10:24 AM   #22
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

stilll climing now just a little bit below 550ppm. I'm going to have to water change again just cause of that. Still 11.8 dkh.... im lost.

Old 01/14/2008, 03:15 PM   #23
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

PH 8.0......... perhaps the calcium WAS disolving! I buffered up 8.1 i'll keep doing it daily till I hit 8.3.

Old 01/14/2008, 03:16 PM   #24
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

OK I did my own first 20% change to Instant Ocean water. We'll see how it pans out.

Anyone feel that Self mixing is better simply due to lack of pollutants?

Old 01/14/2008, 03:31 PM   #25
bertoni
RC Mod

Calcium carbonate won't dissolve at pH 8.0 in our systems. Something else might be dissolving, though.