Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/22/2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Myka
Reefing since '93

Question Is my Xenia ok?

I just bought a Xenia yesterday. It had to come for a 3 hour car ride with me...but it didn't get too cold. There is one branch that's stuck to the plug the other two branches that are attached to eachother were attached to the plug with an elastic band, but when I came home today they must have gotten blown off, or inched their way off somehow...so I have to wash up, and go after it since it's under some LR right now on the sand.

The colonies aren't open...they're most of the way clenched up. Should they be open already? Am I freaking out too soon?

I bought some Kent Marine ZooPlex to feed the Xenia, is this the right stuff? From my reading I came to the conclusion that aside from mushrooms and zoos (neither of which I want) that the Xenia is the easiest and doesn't require a lot of light, so that's why I got it. I also just read a thread (after searching) that says Xenia don't like to be over 80 degrees and don't like high salinity...is that true? Maybe that's why they don't like me.

I introduced the Xenia to my tank by floating the bag in the tank while I used a turkey baster to add a small amount of water every 10 minutes or so. When the bag started to get full, I dumped most of the water out, and carried on. The salinity in the bag was 1.020, and I took 3 hours to acclimate. I have the Xenia placed on my highest rock. There is an MJ1200 on the other side of the tank (33g) attached to a Wavemaker that gives the Xenia current, but doesn't thrash it about. I could take a video clip if needed, or a pic of the Xenia to show it's clench...just ask!

Temp 80-81
Salinity 1.026 (calibrated swing-arm hydrometer)
Am ~ Not measurable (Salifert)
Ni ~ 0
Na ~ 3
Phos ~ 0.1 (diatoms are having a hayday right now...)

Tank is 6 weeks old, and this is the first inhabitant.

Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2007, 10:16 PM   #2
jaw969
Premium Member

I would give it some time. Xenia usually bounce back.... but it could take a little bit of time.

I have had xenia almost dead that came back to life... I would wait a week or so before becoming too alarmed.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 120 RR-Aquamedic Ocean light-Tunze 9015-Will be a mixed reef
jaw969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Myka
Reefing since '93

That makes me feel much better!!!

When I caught the dual branched piece of Xenia, and tried to elastic it back on the rock the two separated. So, now I have three Xenia frags on separate rocks. I had troubles getting the smallest one under my elastic band, so it took me a few minutes (I did it underwater), and boy they get slippery when you play with them for awhile don't they??

I put about 6 drops of the Kent Marine ZooPlex in the tank to get the taste in the water to see if that would perk them up...no reaction from them. This is the right stuff to feed them right?

I am going to do a 5 gallon waterchange tomorrow. I have the salt and RO mixing and aerating right now.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Old 01/22/2007, 10:26 PM   #4
UH_OH_5_OH
Registered Member

I have some pom poms that I just got from someone and they look terrible....I'll keep waiting !

Current Tank Info: None !
UH_OH_5_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2007, 10:43 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Xenia is usually hardy, but sometimes dies for no apparent reason. It can't eat Zoo-Plex, or anything else, for that matter, since it has no digestive system. It lives off its photosynthetic symbionts and dissolved nutrients.

Old 01/22/2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Myka
Reefing since '93

Oh...lol, I guess I wasted my money on the LFS's over-priced bottle of ZooPlex then!!! LOL! Now I guess I'll have to buy something that will eat it...

Ok...I'll just wait it out and see what happens. I guess there isn't much else to do!

Thanks for the help (and relief!). This is my first coral (well ok I had a mushroom once about 5 years ago lol).

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Old 01/22/2007, 11:23 PM   #7
aquarius77
Moved On

Xenia is real touchy in my experience, the main thing it likes is to be left alone. It can adapt to lots of conditions (light, flow, placement) but it really does best if you keep away from it and let it grow. Sometimes Xenia can look pretty horrible, esp after being handled. I would give it a month or so unless you see flesh falling off, id say it will pull thro just fine.

aquarius77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2007, 11:24 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

ZooPlex isn't a product that I'd use, personally. The ingredients didn't look all that high in quality to me.

Old 01/23/2007, 06:22 AM   #9
cowboyswife
Registered Member

I got a Xenia on Saturday, and though it still looks rough, its getting a little bit better by the day. Theyre just touchy

cowboyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Myka
Reefing since '93

Hmm...maybe they'll let me return the ZooPlex then...I'll try.

I think I'm going to lose the smallest one. The "stump" cut itself in half (the elastic wasn't very tight), and I found it stuffed into the air hose hole on my PH. It looked ok, but when I took it out the stump was so short that I couldn't elastic it anymore...so I shoved it into a crevice of one of my LRs, apparently it didn't stay there, and I can't find it now. The medium sized one was hangin on by a string this morning (busy cutting its stump in half too), so I adjusted the elastic...hopefully it doesn't cut there now, or it's screwed too.

However, the largest one which is actually attached all by itself to the frag plug opened up a bit when I turned the lights on this morning. I hope one of them makes it!!!

Old 01/23/2007, 08:42 AM   #11
GSMguy
Registered Member

xenia travels poorly in small sizes the bigger the peice the better it travels it will come back put it it allot of light and medium flow

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2007, 02:56 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

I just weight Xenia down with small pieces of live rock. It attaches very rapidly.

Old 01/23/2007, 07:59 PM   #13
Myka
Reefing since '93

So the small piece and the medium piece managed to make it to my powerhead while I was at work today. So now I'm down to one, and a whole bunch of chunks. It wasn't attaching itself for me...but I bought it that way too, so lesson learned.

Old 01/23/2007, 08:39 PM   #14
jellyous
Registered Member

It should attach very easy just by putting the base inbetween two rocks. Whereever you got it from the tanks salinity was low. It is probably just adjusting to your tank. It will take a few days. Some people have bad luck with zenia, some people don't. I got one frag about a year ago with one stalk. Now I have about fifty stalks. I trade it in every week for other corals. Zenia's awesome!

jellyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2007, 08:56 PM   #15
casingbill
Registered Member

If it is closed, its still alive. I had a frag of xenia die and it was always open, never closed. When I went to remove it, it just fell apart.

Current Tank Info: AGA 90g reef in works,
casingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Myka
Reefing since '93

Well...the "dead" ones got minced by the PHs even though I have the little screen attachment on them.

The big one is looking better and better. It's not fully open yet, but it's at least a much looser bunch, and is actually waving in the waves!

I'm just about to do a 5 gal waterchange right now.

Last edited by Myka; 01/23/2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01/24/2007, 10:19 PM   #17
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally posted by aquarius77
I would give it a month or so unless you see flesh falling off, id say it will pull thro just fine.
Just saw your post...there actually was flesh falling off the Xenia's stalk. It looked like it was peeling from a sunburn or something! It's not peeling anymore though. Maybe it will pulse soon!