Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/13/2007, 04:13 PM   #1
tsmom
Registered Member

I might be getting a 130g!

Hi all! I was at my brother's today, who has tons of reptiles, and he asks if I want a 130 gallon tank he's just got sitting out in his garage! At first I said no, because I didn't think I had a place for it, but I got home and looked around and figured out a place real fast! I'm waiting to back from my bro, but it's pretty much a given. The biggest problem is it needs to be resealed, but my husband is a diy genious, so he'll be able to handle that. Now, what are my options? I never thought a tank this size would be a possibility, so I've never researched for it. What kind of stock could I have? I would want to do a full reef with a tank that big! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have google ready to look up everything that is suggested!! Thank you!

Current Tank Info: 2g FW, 4.5g FW, 10g FW, 29g FW, 55g SW, 130g SW replacing 55g soon!
tsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 04:59 PM   #2
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Sweet Find!

The tank itself is a fairly minimal cost in the overall scheme of things. You will find a lot of 120 gal builds on here. They should give you a pretty good idea of whats possible with that size tank. And the cost associated. I just finished pricing out the equip. for a full blown reef and its close to 5k without the tank. Well worth it in my opinion. Good luck!

TenPercenter

tenpercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 05:10 PM   #3
tsmom
Registered Member

That's a lot! We're talking about getting the tank and storing it on our sunporch while we reseal it and then wait for our tax return to get it set up real nice! We also need to build a stand, but my brother is a welder and my husband does real well with wood structures, so between the two of them, I think we can come up with a nice looking, but sturdy stand.

I have no idea where to even start with this thing! I know we would probably use our current 55 gal tank as the sump, but beyond that, I don't know what else we would need. Of course we would transfer the sand, rock and inverts that we have to the new tank and our one fish (Fairy Wrasse) that we have right now. We're getting an oscellaris clown next week, but that would still leave a lot of options open for the fish that we could put in the BIG tank! Any suggestions for fish, equipment, and whatnot are readily welcome!

Current Tank Info: 2g FW, 4.5g FW, 10g FW, 29g FW, 55g SW, 130g SW replacing 55g soon!
Old 01/13/2007, 06:02 PM   #4
tsmom
Registered Member

I know the question of stocking and whatnot has been asked over and over, but I would readily accept any and all suggestions! Thanks again!

Old 01/13/2007, 06:29 PM   #5
fishaholic911
Registered Member

I would spend any extra money on good equipment and then worry about the live stock. You are a long way from adding fish. A good starter skimmer is a ASM g-2 or g-3 Look @ the selling forums and pick up a used one for around 150.00 next is lighting I would go with vho or t-5's if your husband is a diy guy you can put together a ligting system for around 250.00 or so. Do not forget to get 1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon look for someone in your area selling it or order online 3 bucks per pound is usally a good price. I built my 300 gallon for about 4000.00 so the way I figure if you play your cards right you can have a nice set up for about 1000.00 then you will be ready to start putting corals and fish in it. Good luck and have fun!

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon, vertex 150 skimmer, 2 mars aqua 165 watt leds and 2MP40WQD
fishaholic911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 06:36 PM   #6
fishaholic911
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon, vertex 150 skimmer, 2 mars aqua 165 watt leds and 2MP40WQD
Old 01/13/2007, 06:36 PM   #7
fishaholic911
Registered Member

double post

Old 01/13/2007, 06:53 PM   #8
tsmom
Registered Member

Nice tank!! Thanks for the pricing info. I know that I would not be able to put livestock in for a while, I just like to spend a lot of time researching what I want to do! I figure that if I find out some info now, I'll be ready when the tank is. I just talked to my brother and he wants to trade for our 55 gallon, so the resealing, stand, and initial transfer of livestock (inc. sand and rock) would need to be done a little faster than adding the correct lighting and extras. I've heard that ebay is also a good place to look for used equipment, does anyone know about that? I've been sitting all afternoon (I sprained my ankle so I can't walk right now) and looking through threads and the gallery here at diy stuff and ideas! Thank you all for your help so far!

Old 01/13/2007, 07:04 PM   #9
fishaholic911
Registered Member

Sometimes you can find deals on ebay but rc seller usually have higher end equipment.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...p?s=&forumid=2

Old 01/13/2007, 07:14 PM   #10
tsmom
Registered Member

Thanks for the link! I started looking here and on ebay just to see what some options are. I figure if I find a really good deal on something, I can grab it!

What size sump is recommended for a 130 gallon? I'll be trading the 55 gallon tank for the 130g, but I figure I can get something else pretty easily. My brother has some other smaller tanks and whatnot sitting around! He picks up anything that he might be able to use and then I get to benefit!

Old 01/13/2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Alex_GSO_NC
Registered Member

Get out now while you still have the chance... This hobby is like a drug addiction LOL.

Alex_GSO_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Alex_GSO_NC
Registered Member

Fishaholic! Wow awesome Tank! meeza likes it!

Alex_GSO_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2007, 07:27 PM   #13
fishaholic911
Registered Member

I would get the biggest sump that you can get in the stand and the biggest skimmer(asm or euro-reef) you can fit in the sump if you can find one that is recerculating that would be even better. As for a pump you can go with a mag 12. They are sumbmirsible and that makes it easier to plumb and less worry about leaking issues

Old 01/13/2007, 07:37 PM   #14
tsmom
Registered Member

Oh, the addiction took over a year ago when I set up the 55 gal and the fw tanks I have. I just upgraded my 10g fw to a 29g, but never dreamed I'd be able to upgrade my sw this soon!

As for the sump, is the rubbermaid route a good way to go? (Saw that in the diy section.) I know you can get some pretty big ones, and since we're building the stand, we can build it to fit whatever sump size we need. What do you all think?

Old 01/13/2007, 08:01 PM   #15
fishaholic911
Registered Member

I do not know alot about the rubbermaid. If you can find a used tank For cheap I would do that it does not matter if it is scratched up as it will be hidden.

Old 01/13/2007, 08:13 PM   #16
tsmom
Registered Member

First of all, I keep meaning to tell you I love your sig line! It's so true!

I will try to see what my brother has laying around to use for a sump. Could I use a tank that was previously used for a reptile? (If I clean it really well, of course!) He's probably got tanks that he doesn't know what was used in them before. He picks up stuff at trade shows and the flea market all the time.

Old 01/13/2007, 08:38 PM   #17
fishaholic911
Registered Member

I think it should be fine my buddy used my 55 that had my iguana in it but it was a new tank and the iguana was only in there for a week. The only problem I can see with a used tank is if there has been copper in it.

Old 01/14/2007, 06:30 AM   #18
tsmom
Registered Member

Is there a way to test for copper? Like I said, some of the tanks my brother has, he has no idea where they came from.

Old 01/14/2007, 09:11 AM   #19
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

Copper Test Kit

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2007, 09:14 AM   #20
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

To use that kit you would need to first test your water for copper. If no trace of copper is found, fill the tank with water and allow it to sit for a day or two to let any copper leach into the water, then do your test.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2007, 09:38 AM   #21
fishaholic911
Registered Member

I agree with AllenFord_SC