Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/29/2007, 04:27 PM   #1
greyim
Registered Member

Algae resistant glass?

Does anyone know about a new type of glass out, that aglae can't grow on?

greyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2007, 05:26 PM   #2
areze
Registered Member

while Id assume this glass COULD exist, Id assume it would have some sort of antialgea additives in it, which also exists for silicone, but it will slowly poison your water...

did you hear about it for fish tanks, or was it for windows or something?

Old 07/30/2007, 10:02 PM   #3
supereri
Premium Member

I would be VERY afraid of it leaching into the water and becoming and anti-reef glass

supereri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2007, 10:49 PM   #4
manderx
Registered Member

not heard of it in glass for fishtanks, but i've heard of a nanotech-based coating/wrap for the bottom of ships that has a particular microscopic texture to it that help keep stuff from attaching. so it doesn't have to be a chemical poison. though i really can't see that there's enough demand for this sort of glass for a nanotech researcher to work on this rather than something else with more money.

manderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2007, 12:05 AM   #5
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

"not heard of it in glass for fishtanks, but i've heard of a nanotech-based coating/wrap for the bottom of ships that has a particular microscopic texture to it that help keep stuff from attaching. so it doesn't have to be a chemical poison. though i really can't see that there's enough demand for this sort of glass for a nanotech researcher to work on this rather than something else with more money."

I think it would be more cost effective to design a little underwater Roomba to constantly go around and clean your glass from algae. Come to think of it...

Old 07/31/2007, 05:59 PM   #6
greyim
Registered Member

glass...algae

It may have been the nano tech thing, I wish I'd taken more notice at the time. I have two great slugs that mow it constantly but not crystal clear...

Old 07/31/2007, 06:34 PM   #7
allstar.h2o
Premium Member

Maybe it had some kind of super slick glazing on the inside of the glass so the algae couldnt stick to it?

allstar.h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2007, 09:06 PM   #8
Monsta
Registered Member

Im sure some type of clear anti-algae glass-surface can be created; There are already various types of medical and industrial coatings against biofilms. (for med. prosthesis, ships....) I just dont think there is such a demand in aquariumkeeping. YET

Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2007, 09:29 PM   #9
greyim
Registered Member

I gor this mail from Larry Jordan (Nanovic):-
Pilkington produces a glass called Pilkington Activ and there is a product called Tank Guard ‚Äď www.tankguard.org Also NanoES www.nanoes.com.au or www.greenmillennium.com have a suitable product. They are all based on oxidation of the algae by free radicals produced by the action of UV light on the coating, hence a UV source is necessary ‚Äď some metal halide lights produce some UV, so may be suitable to activate the coating. I would be interested to hear if you decide to try any of these products.
Has anyone experience with these ?

Old 08/03/2007, 09:48 PM   #10
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

Cool! If this works it will sell like crazy. Do you know how one can order that tankguard stuff?

Old 06/27/2021, 10:32 PM   #11
Q43
Registered Member

So, Iím going to revive this 13 year old discussion because I stumbled across a product but canít find a single review for it anywhere. Itís supposedly a transparent nano coating specifically designed for aquarium glass, creating a super slick surface that stuff canít stick to or grow on. They claim it is completely fish safe. If it really does all these things, I imagine it would prevent algae growth on the glass (no more scraping?!?), and could possibly also prevent or reduce salt creep and hard water stains. Impossible? Maybe. Has anyone heard of someone actually using something like this? Is anyone crazy enough to try it?

Link: Percenta Nano Coating for Aquariums

Q43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2021, 07:45 AM   #12
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Angle your lights away from the glass and toward the rocks.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote