Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/19/2014, 09:29 PM   #1
J2T
Registered Member

New flooring, ideas for moving tank

Hoping to get some ideas/thoughts on the best way to do this. We are replacing the carpet in our house with laminate floors so I will need to move my 75g tank while the floor is being installed and then set it back up afterwards. Anyone have any ideas on how to successfully do this with as little risk to the livestock?

I thought about getting a large rubbermaid and draining the water into it and move the rock and livestock. I'm thinking it will be a few days before I could set the tank back up. I could probably build some temp brackets to set up the lights over the container. Any issues with this plan?

Also since the tank will be moved and the rock taken out should I replace the sand when I set it back up? Tank has been setup and running for 3 years and I feel I will probably be kicking up some nasty stuff in the sand when it gets moved.

Here is my livestock:
2 oscelaris clowns
1 coral beauty
2 PJ Cardinals
2 Bangaii Cardinals
1 chromis
1 starry blenny
1 firefish
1 scooter blenny
1 Randal's goby/tiger pistol
2 cleaner/fire shrimp
1 cucumber
5 BTAs

Corals:
trumpet, candy cane, torch, xenia (please die lol), zoas/polyps, mushrooms (so nothing super delicate)

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
J2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2014, 09:47 PM   #2
uruguayanreefer
Registered Member

It would be like doing a huge water change
I would not reuse the sand tho, nor would I stir it up while pulling everything out.

uruguayanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 07:33 AM   #3
eg8r210
Registered Member

I would think if you don't reuse the sand then you will go through a new cycle. I have never done this before so I am not positive but I don't think your rock will have enough bacteria.

eg8r210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 08:27 AM   #4
robthorn
Registered Member

Drain the tank about half way. Save the water. Lift one end and slide 1 1/2 inch pvc under it. Make sure to get one close to the middle and one near the end you are lifting. Have 3-4 pieces to make it easy. Roll the tank out of the way to the temp spot. Fill it back up. Repeat to move it back.

Done this with many tanks and many different types of equipment.

Very easy process you just need a friend or wife to help.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 08:29 AM   #5
robthorn
Registered Member

If you have nasty sand ( if never disturbed, you do) get a normal aquarium gravel vac. Do a small area at a time when doing water changes. You just want the sand to fluidize not got sucked out into the bucket.

Old 07/20/2014, 08:34 AM   #6
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

I had to replace the flooring in my sunken living room after a water change "mishap"...fortunately my wife hated the carpet when we bought the house so...but how to replace the floor without tearing down TWO 6' tanks...I did the un-fettered areas first and as the floor materialized I simply did the drain and shift method and finished around the tanks and slid everything back as I completed the floor. Took slightly longer but worked!!

gREEF stricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 09:53 AM   #7
dson78
Registered Member

I just did this and all the information i gathered here in the forum said not to reuse the sand if its pretty dirty. I ended up replacing the sand and used a cup of my old sand to seed the new sand. I too used a large rubbermaid to house the livestock and the live rock until the flooring was replaced. Good luck, just do not rush anything and be careful moving the tank and setting it back up.

dson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 03:55 PM   #8
uruguayanreefer
Registered Member

I definitely wouldnt move the tank with much water or weight in it at all.

Why risk the stand racking and cracking the glass?
3 year old sand? Now is a good time to replace it anyway
Take advantage of the move, replace the sand and as other members said
Just seed some with ur old sand

uruguayanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 06:40 PM   #9
AJ69
Registered Member

Get a tote for just the rock and another two for the fish /corals.You don't need to use your lights unless is for several days that might take the new flooring to b installed

Current Tank Info: rimless cube
AJ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 06:53 PM   #10
J2T
Registered Member

It'll most likely be only a day at the most..which is why it kind of sucks to have to go through all of this for just a short period lol. I think I'll grab a few totes and go that direction rather than trying to move a half filled tank...that makes me nervous. Thanks everyone.

Old 07/20/2014, 08:44 PM   #11
robthorn
Registered Member

Unless you have a junk stand my way works miracles.

Old 07/20/2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Swirlygig
Registered Member

I just suck the sand into a bucket and stir it up with my hand...turns black but rinse it with saltwater a few times this way and good as new...don't toss it out unless you want a cycle

Swirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 11:18 PM   #13
Swirlygig
Registered Member

why not just install flooring up to tank then finish it later after upgrade etc...?

Swirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014, 11:43 PM   #14
Techbiker
ORCA Public Relation 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirlygig View Post
why not just install flooring up to tank then finish it later after upgrade etc...?
I have done this as well,
But I also move my 55 to a 75, I just replace the half of the sand, Rearrenge my rock, corals where as happy as they never move, oh and I used 30% of the old water, but I did other 79% water change after a week, 0 dead
Happy wife

Techbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2014, 07:28 PM   #15
Motobuddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthorn View Post
Drain the tank about half way. Save the water. Lift one end and slide 1 1/2 inch pvc under it. Make sure to get one close to the middle and one near the end you are lifting. Have 3-4 pieces to make it easy. Roll the tank out of the way to the temp spot. Fill it back up. Repeat to move it back.

Done this with many tanks and many different types of equipment.

Very easy process you just need a friend or wife to help.
+1
Have done this with many safes and did this to move my 220 around with just me and one of the boys. You just have to get it light enough to lift up about 2 inches. It is easier then you think. Hulu hoops and golf balls work wonders as well especially around corners, just need a lot of balls makes a huge caster.

Motobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Blueline12
Registered Member

This is what I did. They can put a moulding around the tank stand. Looks great. Way less headache.

Buy enough laminate to finish the area if you move or get rid of your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirlygig View Post

Blueline12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 08:48 PM   #17
J2T
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline12 View Post
This is what I did. They can put a moulding around the tank stand. Looks great. Way less headache.

Buy enough laminate to finish the area if you move or get rid of your tank.
lol while I did think of that, my wife quickly shot that idea down. Then again, maybe this would be a good time to upgrade to a 90g since it'll fit right on the stand.

Old 11/14/2014, 06:34 AM   #18
digitalmeyer
Registered Member

60 gal to 75 gal w/new floor

I am about to make a move from a 60 to a 75 because we are replacing our carpet with vinyl floor. How did your move go?
Is it best to move all tank inhabitants out to storage bins then drain the old tank then lay the new floor then install the new tank?

Thanks.

digitalmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2014, 07:26 AM   #19
maxheadroom
Clownfish Farmer

I put heavy duty caster wheels on my 80 gallon frag tank. Now I can roll it anywhere with little effort. I wish I had put them on all my tanks.

maxheadroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2014, 08:33 PM   #20
J2T
Registered Member

Move actually went well, didn't lose anyone. Was a royal PITA for what amounted to needing it moved for only about 30 minutes to get the floor done in that area lol

Old 11/16/2014, 09:16 PM   #21
ARVERLY
Registered Member

Glad everything worked out fine!

ARVERLY is offline   Reply With Quote