Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/13/2008, 08:18 AM   #51
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mathias999us
HAHA, that worked.

That DIY flow deflector is awesome! That looks like some RC car linkage or something? What is the geared-down motor from?

Funny you should ask about TCMAS - I'm going to my first meeting tonight! So, I'll be a TCMAS member by EOD
to see what motor i used, look for my thread on either RC or TCMAS.

TCMAS is an awesome group of people. i suppose ill meet you sometime in the future at one of the meetings. i don't go to many cuz i live in st. cloud. most of these corals in my tank are from other members.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2008, 10:38 PM   #52
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

What is this on the back wall? Looks like a tiny ricordea and what keeps it there?

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2008, 09:37 PM   #53
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

its a frag of my micromussa, i super glued it to a tiny magnet i encased in glue. its a freaking strong magnet and it holds really well. i want to see the micromussa spread on the back of my tank. i have the main colony moved onto my rocks and i want it to spread there too.

Old 01/29/2008, 02:35 PM   #54
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

took some pictures today. used parents camera, which isnt as good.

this one finally started to branch out for me.

i got this green sinularia to attach back here, now just gotta move my powerhead to make it look better.

here you can see the acro has encrusted the putty epoxy now, and i also fragged my micro colony again today.

another top down of the monti cap.

i ordered a euroreef RS-80 for an upgrade and i bought a Iwasaki 15k bulb to see how it looks. in a few months i will start useing phosphate remover if the skimmer doesnt solve my algae problems.

Old 01/29/2008, 03:13 PM   #55
dogstar74
Premium Member

One thing that I have noticed, is that colony of Zoas on the back wall that is placed there with Epoxy. I am concerned. There were some tanks in the past that cracked really bad when someone epoxied on the glass. The heat expansion caused stress in the glass and it ultimately fractured the glass and caused a major spill. You may want to watch out for that. I do like the micromussa on a magnet idea. That's sure to work great!

Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2008, 03:17 PM   #56
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar74
One thing that I have noticed, is that colony of Zoas on the back wall that is placed there with Epoxy. I am concerned. There were some tanks in the past that cracked really bad when someone epoxied on the glass. The heat expansion caused stress in the glass and it ultimately fractured the glass and caused a major spill. You may want to watch out for that. I do like the micromussa on a magnet idea. That's sure to work great!

Aaron
the epoxy has almost completely peeled away from the glass. im waiting till i buy a ton of magnets to redo it, or for the zoanthids to grow onto the glass. right now i dont really know how its still attached to the glass.

i believe you though, i had a heat lamp destroy the back of my tank due to the plastic rim warping.

Old 01/29/2008, 10:35 PM   #57
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by armagedon48
in a few months i will start useing phosphate remover if the skimmer doesnt solve my algae problems.
FWIW, phosphate might not be your problem. I would test for it first because the run-of-the-mill phosphate removers are ineffective and RowaPhos, the best, is expensive.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Old 01/30/2008, 09:31 PM   #58
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cherubfish pair
FWIW, phosphate might not be your problem. I would test for it first because the run-of-the-mill phosphate removers are ineffective and RowaPhos, the best, is expensive.
what do you think of the phosphate remover on twopartsolution.com? i have been looking at this for some time now. right now im using a fluval brand of phosphate remover that i got free. i don't have any test kits for phosphate, other than algae growth.

Old 01/30/2008, 09:55 PM   #59
mluna785
Registered Member

Wow! The tank has come a long way.

mluna785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2008, 08:58 PM   #60
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

To tell you the truth, I have no experience with phosphate removers. I'm just going with what I read in a very convincing article. But I am a firm believer in test kits. When I see my water parameters test bad then the algae comes back.

Old 02/07/2008, 12:58 AM   #61
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

took some nighttime photos. 2am

Old 03/01/2008, 01:24 PM   #62
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i had a power outage a few days ago that lasted nearly 2 hours, and when i got home, some of my corals bleached a little. my monti cap bleached the most as you can see in the photo below. i also installed a phosphate reactor, which im using mostly carbon and 1/4 cup of PO4 remover. this may have also contributed to the bleaching, but the time frame of the bleaching and power outage puts the blame on the downtime.

i have also added two new corals, green monti digi, and a green millipora which i attached to the back of the tank with a magnet.

i bought a bunch of magnets, coated them in marine epoxy (two part i found at home depot!) and am useing them as frag mags. cant wait to see the corals encrust more and spread

then some more, random pictures.

Old 03/01/2008, 01:25 PM   #63
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

few more pictures.

Old 03/01/2008, 02:23 PM   #64
mikejones
Registered Member

Pretty nice tank, corals look awesome.. Are you dosing anything (I notice you mention 2partsolution.com are you dosing that) I ask because I think I have pretty much the same equipment with the exception of a sump I don't know if you have a sump but I do and I have 2 sps frags just to see if I can keep them in my tank(been there for 6+ months) and they seem to be dying and yours are doing great. Just wanted to know what you are doing to keep 'em alive. thanks

mike

mikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 09:59 PM   #65
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikejones
Pretty nice tank, corals look awesome.. Are you dosing anything (I notice you mention 2partsolution.com are you dosing that) I ask because I think I have pretty much the same equipment with the exception of a sump I don't know if you have a sump but I do and I have 2 sps frags just to see if I can keep them in my tank(been there for 6+ months) and they seem to be dying and yours are doing great. Just wanted to know what you are doing to keep 'em alive. thanks

mike
i dose two part. i get my stuff from twopartsolution.com too. these past few days after the power outage, all my SPS are affected. im thinking there is more than just the power outage causing problems. i have noticed my water is really freaking clear, probably due to the huge amount of carbon i have in the phosphate reactor... i am willing to bet that the increased light intensity from water clarity has fried my corals to the point of bleaching.

this whole next week, i will have the afternoons off from work, so i can focus on getting my tank back in good health.

i am also attempting to raise a batch of peppermint shrimp, ill post a link to a thread later on.

Old 03/15/2008, 05:47 PM   #66
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i have had some unfortunate events, most of which are user error.

first, i added a phosphate reactor to my system. i added tons of carbon, and just a little PO4 remover. i was thinking that it was the PO4 i should be careful with. well, i was wrong and the sudden clarity of the water caused some corals to bleach. my monti cap had it the worse. here is a picture showing my monti cap after a 2 hour power outage.

then as if things were not bad enough, i bought some reef calcium by seachem because it was on sale. i kinda read the instructions and ignored the "use to maintain, not raise calcium" and went ahead and dosed 200 ml into my tank. this caused a massive bacterial bloom and a freak alk spike. apparently reef calcium also raises alk and fuels bacteria growth.
a thread i started can be seen here for more info on my reef calcium problems. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5#post12098325

as i mentioned in the thread above, i have some corals that are dieing. i also lost both of my cleaner shrimp. here are some photos.

on a good note, my skimmer has been hard at work removing bacteria! i have to empty it every 24 hours because it pulls so much bacteria out. the skimmate is a thick liquid that has jelly like properties and is very slimy.
here is a picture of my skimmer 2 hours after a cleaning.

Old 03/17/2008, 07:46 AM   #67
mathias999us
Registered Member

That's too bad Chad. Things may recover yet though?

I find it hard to believe that the it was the carbon that would cause that dramatic of a bleaching, unless your water was REALLY yellowed/cloudy before that. I mean, I've heard of it before, but seems like a long-shot. More likely related to your power outage or the alk/Ca situation you were talking about.

You got a bunch of nice corals there. We'll have to get together at one of the meetings and trade some stuff sometime.

Current Tank Info: RSM250 + 28HQI plumbed to basement fish room with 2 100g stock tanks and 55g fuge
mathias999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2008, 10:25 AM   #68
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mathias999us
That's too bad Chad. Things may recover yet though?

I find it hard to believe that the it was the carbon that would cause that dramatic of a bleaching, unless your water was REALLY yellowed/cloudy before that. I mean, I've heard of it before, but seems like a long-shot. More likely related to your power outage or the alk/Ca situation you were talking about.

You got a bunch of nice corals there. We'll have to get together at one of the meetings and trade some stuff sometime.
after i added the carbon, i thought my tank looked "different", well basically it was more clear. i had the carbon on my tank for nearly a week before the 2 hour power outage, then my corals were bleached when i got home. i have no idea what happend during the power outage, so i can only assume it was a combination of a few things that caused the bleaching.

my larger acro colony is a goner, this morning most of the tissue is gone. i will leave the skeleton in the tank and grow micro or acans on it.

today i will be buying new salt in hopes of lowering the alk, and ill be buying a cheap alk test kit in hopes that it is accurate.

Old 03/17/2008, 10:44 AM   #69
mathias999us
Registered Member

Most people have trouble keeping there alk UP. Is your pH ok with you alk too high? Suspect a bad test kit at this point?

Current Tank Info: RSM250 + 28HQI plumbed to basement fish room with 2 100g stock tanks and 55g fuge
mathias999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2008, 03:49 PM   #70
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i moved a few things around, took away some power filters, and added a sureflow maxi mod behind the overflow.

you can see the corals that are suffering from RTN. my biggest acro colony seems to have stopped dieing, but i think its still at risk until it starts to grow again.

Old 03/19/2008, 04:09 PM   #71
norcal99
Registered Member

I can't tell from the pictures, but if there are any parts of your SPS that weren't hit by the massive RTN as you say, then cut away all the dead stuff. The areas that suffered RTN will likely spread to the rest of your coral thats living. Otherwise, you tank looks pretty good and I like the clowns

Current Tank Info: 20L AIO - Tunze 9002 Skimmer - Vortech MP20 - ACJR Controller - 4x24 T5HO - DIY HOB Aquafuge
norcal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2008, 05:04 PM   #72
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

only two corals are showing RTN. one was a tiny frag of a stag, this only lasted 2 days. the other was my largest acro colony, which still has tissue left, and may either die or recover. i dont really care if it dies, because it will give me a unique place to grow encrusting corals on.

i did a bunch of water changes these past few days, and things seem to be looking better today. i have my fingers crossed that the corals will recover quickly.

Old 03/19/2008, 05:20 PM   #73
bboy aqua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by armagedon48
this morning i woke up to a skimmer that needed to be emptied.
hey armagedon
how much days/weeks/months worth of skimmate is that?
i can only get 1/2 cup in a month on my 10gal
can you give me more info on how your running it?water level above pump,flow and water level knobs, etc...

bboy aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2008, 09:26 PM   #74
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bboy aqua
hey armagedon
how much days/weeks/months worth of skimmate is that?
i can only get 1/2 cup in a month on my 10gal
can you give me more info on how your running it?water level above pump,flow and water level knobs, etc...
i have no idea how i got that skimmer to perform that well. i just play with the skimmer until it starts skimming and sometimes i hit that "sweet spot" and suddenly it skims like a champ.

i have since removed the super skimmer and replaced it with a euroreef rs80, which has actually saved my reef tank in my opinion from what has been going on the past week or two.

Old 03/19/2008, 10:10 PM   #75
bboy aqua
Registered Member

oh haha ok no prob
is the euroreef that good?
i may consider it for my next upgrade on tank and skimmer

bboy aqua is offline   Reply With Quote