Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/12/2005, 10:32 AM   #151
maro1
Registered Member

hdtvguy IN your setup with a heavy Bioload. What do you think is the biggest concern and how do you address it to keep the tank and its inhabitants healthy.

Mar

maro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 11:23 AM   #152
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Apone
This is a really great tank.

I feel your tank is one of the best because it goes against the "traditional" methods.

1. You keep multiple large angels in the same tank
2. You keep a good amount of fish in your tank, not just a sparse population like many do.
3. You mix corals with lots of fish, including large angels with the corals, which is typically not done.
4. You dont use a DSB.
5. Lastly, you keep a wet/dry with corals!

I am really glad I found your post. I currently have a well stocked, fish only tank, witha wet/dry myself. Eventually I would like to keep a few corals as well, but everything I have read has always summarized keeping corals by saying: no large angels, no large fish load, and definately no wet/dry.

Your tank is the first I have seen that combines different styles...good job!

Do any of the angels pick on the corals? Also, can you tell me what type of corals those are?

Thanks,

I really wanted to push the limits on this tank. Traditional methods of running a beautiful tank can be mixed to have great success.

Well first off every fish and tank is different. You can not go by the book when mixing livestock. With my Trigger he is docile, he never picks on my snails or my 4 cleaner shrimp. He even gets cleaned just like you would see in the wild. Now if you look at a book it says they are not reef safe. You have to keep your livestock well feed. If my Angels and trigger were not eating enough of the right foods maybe they would nip eat the corals. But this is not the case in my tank! So what it comes down to is every specimen and tank is different. Many people may not agree in what I'm doing with my setup and that is fine they can have their opinions. As long as the fish and corals are healthy water quality is excellent I see no problem at all.

Right now have only a few corals mushrooms, yellow leather coral, frogspawn, and a coral from the brain family of corals. Not sure the name. Never see any fish in the tank nip at any.

hdtvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 11:31 AM   #153
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
hdtvguy IN your setup with a heavy Bioload. What do you think is the biggest concern and how do you address it to keep the tank and its inhabitants healthy.

Mar

Biggest thing is waste from the fish. Getting it out of the tanks ASAP. With a good skimmer high flow in the tank (turnover). Running UV and ozone both helps IMO. Running bare bottom is great lets you have high flow in the tank plus you do not have a bio-load from the sand-bed. Water changes I do 50g every 2 weeks I also skim wet. I also keep the tank temp at 77-78F to help with oxygen levels in the tank. Running a non traditional wet-dry helps with gas exchange and adding oxygen to the water. It also helps with the biological filtration from spikes from high bio-loads ( removes them fast).

Old 12/12/2005, 02:23 PM   #154
Titan*69
Registered Member

hdtv guy I lived way up in Flin Flon Manitoba, I worked in Thompson and a little mining town north of there called Leaf Rapids. My wife and I used to go to Winnipeg for like a week at a time,stay at the Fort-Gary and spend lots of money there. Now located in Ontario.

Current Tank Info: 210 with 90GL sump, 100 Undy, and a minute 40QT
Titan*69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 03:53 PM   #155
maro1
Registered Member

hdtvguy
Quote:
Running a non traditional wet-dry helps with gas exchange and adding oxygen to the water. It also helps with the biological filtration from spikes from high bio-loads ( removes them fast).
I also Have thought about running a wet-dry. But was told this would lead to high nitrates. Have you had any problem with nitrates? If so how do you handle them? or why don't you have trouble with them?

Mar

maro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 07:33 PM   #156
hdtvguy
Registered Member

I have not had a problem with them. My use of ozone with a large skimmer helps. Also water changes every 2 weeks is a must IMO.

With my setup running BB with high turn over rate in the tank gets everything out of the water and down to the sump fast.

Old 12/14/2005, 03:47 PM   #157
Mad Scientist
Premium Member

Quote:
[by Apone
I am really glad I found your post. I currently have a well stocked, fish only tank, witha wet/dry myself. ?

He has a good deal of what appears to be very high end LR as well - so would not group this tank in whith the "traditional" FO tank with a wet/dry, no LR, no skimmer, and fake corals.

Current Tank Info: Starting over
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2005, 09:12 PM   #158
onefin
Registered Member

Sorry about that, looked like a great tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon /40gallon Ecosystem
onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2005, 09:38 AM   #159
hdtvguy
Registered Member

My new large Emp is doing great in the tank! Eating and loves the flow in the tank. His grunts can be heard upstairs from the tank.

Here is a few pics of him.

Old 12/15/2005, 05:09 PM   #160
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Some new full tank shots.

Old 12/15/2005, 05:10 PM   #161
hdtvguy
Registered Member

More.....

Old 12/15/2005, 05:11 PM   #162
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Few more.....

Old 12/15/2005, 05:33 PM   #163
eng55
Registered Member

The tank is looking beautiful as always. Hey what type of angel fish do you have. Not the emporer but the one that is dark blue and orange. That is a beautfiul fish, well all of them all are. Are things still going good with the clown trigger? I am thinking about getting one when I set up my 200g bb. Good luck with everything.
E

eng55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2005, 05:37 PM   #164
onefin
Registered Member

Beautiful fish.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon /40gallon Ecosystem
onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2005, 05:43 PM   #165
sean48183
Registered Member

Lookin better than ever. That setup is showpeice! Haven't seen your thread in a while and was hoping it would pop back up. Do you have a fuge and if not are you plannig on adding one?

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2005, 07:34 PM   #166
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eng55
The tank is looking beautiful as always. Hey what type of angel fish do you have. Not the emporer but the one that is dark blue and orange. That is a beautfiul fish, well all of them all are. Are things still going good with the clown trigger? I am thinking about getting one when I set up my 200g bb. Good luck with everything.
E
Thanks,

That is a large majestic Angel. Clown trigger is doing great he loves Norri sheets. He is a pig, Well all my fish eat really well for that matter

Just be careful when adding a Clown. Mine has been an exception to the so called rule

Old 12/15/2005, 07:36 PM   #167
hdtvguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sean48183
Lookin better than ever. That setup is showpeice! Haven't seen your thread in a while and was hoping it would pop back up. Do you have a fuge and if not are you plannig on adding one?

Thanks, No fuge on this tank.

Old 12/16/2005, 12:12 AM   #168
eng55
Registered Member

Yes I know that one must be careful when adding a clown to the tank. I might just play it safe and add a blue throat trigger instead. I like the colors on the males alot. Thanks for the info on the angle, will have to do some research on those. I am still trying to get a final list of fish for my 200g. Thanks
E

eng55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2005, 12:29 AM   #169
hdtvguy
Registered Member

NP best of luck on your new tank setup. Make sure you post lots of pics.

Old 12/16/2005, 11:43 AM   #170
Apone
Registered Member

Looks great as always!

I was wondering if you were going to try including a butterfly into your tank with the corals you have in there. Specifically, one of the classic non-reef butteflies, like an auriga for example.

I ask because seeing as you are successfull with keeping large angels and corals, I wonder if a butterfly would also have the same successes?

Apone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2005, 12:19 AM   #171
hdtvguy
Registered Member

I do not want to try. They tend to be very timid fish and would not hold there own with the big Angels.

Old 12/17/2005, 08:35 AM   #172
sean48183
Registered Member

Have you ever thought about a grouper like a miniatus? He might crush on those chromis but would look pretty sweet in that mix.

Old 12/18/2005, 06:59 AM   #173
buldog
Registered Member

I have a 200 with 10 big fish in it also. The secret to keeping it disease free/stree free is to never add any fish after about 3-4 months. My fish never scratch, etc. When I was adding fish all the time I always had ick, fighting the new arrivals, problems. If hdtvguy can stop adding fish soon his tank with be extremely reliable and no problems. Even if one dies in a year, don't replace it. It seems there is always a problem when new fish are added to an established tank. I have had these fish for 6 to 7 years. I also do weekly 20% water changes. Always do the water changes, don't miss any weeks. In all those 7 years, I have never used any RO/DI, etc. I just use plain tap water. Never seems to be a problem with the fish. I have a wet/dry, no live rock, fish only tank. As for Queens, they are a problem. I had 2 in the past. They lived for only 2-3 years, but always had a problem with not eating for a week at a time. One lfs owner said they usually live only about 1 year. He didn't recommend them.

Last edited by buldog; 12/18/2005 at 07:23 AM.
buldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2005, 10:10 AM   #174
sean48183
Registered Member

Were any of your queens juvenile when you got them or older fish?

Old 12/18/2005, 01:11 PM   #175
buldog
Registered Member

One was a juvenile and one was about 4-5 inches. The last one was actually a Blue Angel. It developed a bad habit of constantly chasing bubbles from the return. In about 3 years it went on about 6 one week times it would not eat. The emperor angel I have has never done that in 4 years.

buldog is offline   Reply With Quote