Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/14/2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

high magnesium why

i asked this question a couple of weeks ago, i still cannot resolve this question, why is my magnesium so high and does it matter? i have a reading of 1770, my calcium is about 400-420 and kh is 8.25 measured today, all other parameters are fine sg is 1.025 and a half, i was testing with salifert, i thought the kit may be fault so i bought another salifert kit, the results are still the same, my soft corals are fine and thriving my lsf said if the calcium is not stable this can affect magnesium, well i dont know about that, but in general my tank is clean fresh looking and all critters happy, any suggestions, does it really matter? i have stuck this question on other websites hoping for a lot of answers so i can sort out what is going on

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 02:54 PM   #2
dzeadow
Premium Member

are you dosing any calcium supplements of any kind? I know my SeaChem Reef Complete calcium stuff has magnesium in it also so I have to be careful how much I actually dose of the stuff.

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
dzeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

no i dont dose anything, it seems ridiculous but i really dont

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Old 03/14/2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

anyone else have any ideas

MIKE

Old 03/14/2008, 04:20 PM   #5
rbursek
Moved On

Again, what salt are you using? If you are not dozing, I am thinking it is your test kit,or you are reading it wrong, what kit are you using?

rbursek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

tropic marin pro reef

MIKE

Old 03/14/2008, 04:50 PM   #7
dzeadow
Premium Member

did you mix up the bucket/bag before using or did you just go at it? I noticed on a bucket of IO that I didn't mix, the calcium dropped like a rock when I got towards the bottom.. like down to 200 instead of where it started at 350ish.

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
dzeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2008, 02:25 AM   #8
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

i think the test kits are crap, i will find a different make and if readings are still high i will have to think again, thanks for the help guys, if there is aproblem i will let you all know

MIKE