Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 01/26/2008, 06:00 PM   #851
Ziggy953
Registered Member

Believe me I know how it is. Sometimes you have to change gears and do things differently until funds allow. I have slowly over the last 3 years built my tank to what it is and I'm still not done. After talking on here though my wife told me about a dream she had where I put a tank up (125 or so) as a divider and she is actually getting very serious about letting me do it. SHOCKED!!!

What ever you decided to do I know it will be cool!

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder - RKE - LEDs the works...
Old 01/26/2008, 06:26 PM   #852
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
Ok that makes sense...and you can use most if not all of the equip from the 75?

Sorry if I'm covering old ground I have been out of town for a few weeks.
It's okay. Yea, most of the equipment will be used. Probably a new light fixture and a new sump.

Old 01/26/2008, 06:27 PM   #853
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by reeformadness
I thought there were some beautiful tanks without canopies in that Japanese reef tank thread that was up earlier today. Good luck!
Where at? Any links?

Thanks!

Old 01/26/2008, 06:28 PM   #854
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
Believe me I know how it is. Sometimes you have to change gears and do things differently until funds allow. I have slowly over the last 3 years built my tank to what it is and I'm still not done. After talking on here though my wife told me about a dream she had where I put a tank up (125 or so) as a divider and she is actually getting very serious about letting me do it. SHOCKED!!!

What ever you decided to do I know it will be cool!
Thanks =)

That's great news! Congrats!

Old 01/26/2008, 06:51 PM   #855
chris wright
Moved On

G'day Ng,

Have you thought about those t5/Mh combo's. I know they can be a little expensive depending on the brand's, but you could get a good variety of light's. The advantage would be that you could hang them above the tank, and don't need a canopy, and the bulb combo's would be fun to work out

I saw one tank where the owner had some stainless steel tube rolled to form a bracket to suspend the lights. It's mounted to the stand, so it's structual, and it looks nice. It's on a different forum though

Ah decisions, decisions Good luck with it

Old 01/26/2008, 07:16 PM   #856
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

FYI, when I was building my lighting setup there was a "used" Sunpod sitting in the dealers store on a shelf waiting for warranty parts to come in. In the mean time the tank owner was completely WITHOUT lighting.

I understand your thoughts on making it look nice, nothing beats the look of a combo light fixture, but if one part messes up and you need to return the hole setup for warranty work you would be IN THE DARK, er so to speak.

Sorry, had to say that.

Current Tank Info: 180 display, 100 gal DIY fuge/sump, DIY skimmer.
Old 01/26/2008, 07:16 PM   #857
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

oops

Current Tank Info: 180 display, 100 gal DIY fuge/sump, DIY skimmer.
Old 01/26/2008, 07:23 PM   #858
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
G'day Ng,

Have you thought about those t5/Mh combo's. I know they can be a little expensive depending on the brand's, but you could get a good variety of light's. The advantage would be that you could hang them above the tank, and don't need a canopy, and the bulb combo's would be fun to work out

I saw one tank where the owner had some stainless steel tube rolled to form a bracket to suspend the lights. It's mounted to the stand, so it's structual, and it looks nice. It's on a different forum though

Ah decisions, decisions Good luck with it
Heya. Yea I saw some nice ones for like $1200 and it's just crazy for me to spend that right now when I'm trying to save a bit of cash. I really don't want anything but the phoenix bulbs I like that look.

Too many decisions lol. Thanks!

Old 01/26/2008, 07:24 PM   #859
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
FYI, when I was building my lighting setup there was a "used" Sunpod sitting in the dealers store on a shelf waiting for warranty parts to come in. In the mean time the tank owner was completely WITHOUT lighting.

I understand your thoughts on making it look nice, nothing beats the look of a combo light fixture, but if one part messes up and you need to return the hole setup for warranty work you would be IN THE DARK, er so to speak.

Sorry, had to say that.
Yea, you're def right and that's part of the reason I didn't buy that the first time. I would have backup with my current lighting.. but it would still be *very* aggravating having to deal with that.

I don't really know what else to do.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 01/26/2008, 07:26 PM   #860
reeformadness
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1302994

The first pic pretty much shows you what I mean about Japanese reef tanks. Very clean look.

Old 01/26/2008, 08:00 PM   #861
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks for the link. Yea mine won't look that good!

Old 01/27/2008, 12:36 AM   #862
Mikeeee
Registered Member

My tank looks better.. haha yeah right..how do you keep it that clean? lots of scrubbin i guess. I actually prefer lots of coraline algae on the glass..like gurl has on her 75! its hot.

Old 01/27/2008, 02:21 AM   #863
spleen93
crabby hermit

Hard choice. Either go with a combo MH/T5 fixture with good reflectors (expensive), or go with MH only fixture with crappy reflectors (Sunpod) or go with good pendant reflectors with remote ballasts (would need two of them for a 120 gallon and may not be that attractive) or build a canopy and mount reflectors in it (you already said that you didn't want to do this).

If looks and price are really important to you and light output is not, I'd go with the Sunpod. If looks and light output are important to you and price is flexible, I'd go with the combo MH/T5 fixture and hang it - may run t5s or not (you'd have the option to pick what bulbs to use for the T5s if any). I'd look at the Maristar from Sunlight Supply (same great reflectors as the Reef Optix) (though service is somewhat questionable these days from SLS) or a cheapy Giesemann.

(edit - just realized the price on the Maristar doesn't include ballasts for the MH bulbs - you gotta buy those separately. Nevermind ... )

If price and output are important to you and looks are secondary, then the double pendant option would be great and give you flexibility if one goes down.

Just some thoughts.

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
Old 01/27/2008, 06:57 AM   #864
jerryvan
Registered Member

Hello-- Just tagging along here. How do you figure Giesemann are a cheapy. I have a 48" 2x250-4x54 and I like it and my wife didn't think it was cheap. Jerry

Old 01/27/2008, 08:27 PM   #865
spleen93
crabby hermit

Didn't mean to imply yours was cheap. I meant in relationship to the other Giesemann fixtures - to pick one of the cheaper ones like the Eco series as opposed to the Moonlight Infiniti series. Everything's relative. I'm recommending Giesemann since people seem to agree that it's good quality as a combined fixture goes. The Eco series is definitely cheaper than the Sfiligoi Infinity series or the Elos Planet II series which would be other combined fixtures that are commonly recommended.

You have any pictures of your set up so NG can see what it looks like?

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
Old 01/27/2008, 09:08 PM   #866
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
My tank looks better.. haha yeah right..how do you keep it that clean? lots of scrubbin i guess. I actually prefer lots of coraline algae on the glass..like gurl has on her 75! its hot.
lol... my tank is ghetto-tastic right now!

Old 01/27/2008, 09:09 PM   #867
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Hard choice. Either go with a combo MH/T5 fixture with good reflectors (expensive), or go with MH only fixture with crappy reflectors (Sunpod) or go with good pendant reflectors with remote ballasts (would need two of them for a 120 gallon and may not be that attractive) or build a canopy and mount reflectors in it (you already said that you didn't want to do this).

If looks and price are really important to you and light output is not, I'd go with the Sunpod. If looks and light output are important to you and price is flexible, I'd go with the combo MH/T5 fixture and hang it - may run t5s or not (you'd have the option to pick what bulbs to use for the T5s if any). I'd look at the Maristar from Sunlight Supply (same great reflectors as the Reef Optix) (though service is somewhat questionable these days from SLS) or a cheapy Giesemann.

(edit - just realized the price on the Maristar doesn't include ballasts for the MH bulbs - you gotta buy those separately. Nevermind ... )

If price and output are important to you and looks are secondary, then the double pendant option would be great and give you flexibility if one goes down.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for your thoughts... it's def hard decision. Grrrrr.

Old 01/27/2008, 09:11 PM   #868
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryvan
Hello-- Just tagging along here. How do you figure Giesemann are a cheapy. I have a 48" 2x250-4x54 and I like it and my wife didn't think it was cheap. Jerry
I knew what spleen meant and he def didn't mean it like that.

Old 01/27/2008, 09:11 PM   #869
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
You have any pictures of your set up so NG can see what it looks like?
Which setup are you talking about?

Old 01/27/2008, 10:12 PM   #870
spleen93
crabby hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Which setup are you talking about?
His tank with the Giesemann Infiniti light hanging above it. Just to give you an idea of what that would look like.

Old 01/27/2008, 10:33 PM   #871
NanoGurl
Moved On

Duh... totally read that wrong. Dyed blonde hair moment!!

Old 01/28/2008, 12:30 AM   #872
ahullsb
Registered Member

Have you seen a ballast running only phoenix 14's? Some people like them and some don't obviously. If you don't mind a combo, I have been happy with the Outer Orbits I bought recently. mh/t5's and moonlights. I have it hanging and it looks pretty clean I think. I'll post a pic tomorrow if you want to see it. But if you only want mh's, two pendants might look good as well.

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
Old 01/28/2008, 12:36 AM   #873
NanoGurl
Moved On

Love to see a photo. I am not sure what you mean by have I seen a ballast running only phoenix 14ks?

My current tank has 2 x 150w Phoenix on Reef Optix III pendants. THe problem I am having is figuring out how to hang them nicely.

Old 01/28/2008, 12:38 AM   #874
ahullsb
Registered Member

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
Old 01/28/2008, 12:40 AM   #875
ahullsb
Registered Member

I was just making sure you liked the color of the phoenix bulbs as stand alone bulbs. What didn't you like about hanging them? Was it the power cord?

Sacramento, CA

Closed Thread