Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/27/2008, 02:49 PM   #126
jsobe
Registered Member

Re: Newbie Corner Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
All right, all right; settle down and listen up. It's time to train you New Recruits that have recently joined RC. So fall in and quit the chatter while I instruct you ragged Newbies in the fine art of Reefkeeping!

Starting this month we will be adding a new column to Reefkeeping Magazine called the--

Click on the above Logo to go directly to the Article.

Many of you seasoned reef veterans have read the New Tank Thread but it was getting time for an overhaul. The Newbie Corner will start out with a revamped version of the New Tank Thread in an easier to read, magazine format. Be sure to read Reefkeeping Magazine every month for installments to the New-New Tank Thread as well as other future topics designed for the novice.

One of the things about doing it as a magazine article is that it doesn't have the feedback that one gets with a posted thread. That is what this sticky is about--feedback on the topics covered. After reading the articles, you are invited to post any questions that you may have and I, or one of the other Newbie Corner authors, will try to answer them in a timely fashion. If you have a question about what to feed your Giant Grouper ( Epinephelus lanceolatus) and we are discussing water, please post it as a separate thread or wait till we cover Grouper feeding in the Newbie Corner (I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting).

Anyway, we at Reef Central and Reefkeeping Magazine hope you enjoy the new series and find it informative. If not-
Drop and give me fifty!

Editors note--in the interest of keeping the magazine a quality publication I had to remove the old Sarge from the articles. However, on the board anything goes.

Here are the current Reefkeeping 101 articles--

Water
Tanks & Placement
Lights
Sumps with Marc Levenson

Thanks for the great information, Although your calcutlations mostly reflect on the bigger tanks. For example, you use 100 gallons for your water lecture as a model. What about those who has 30 gal or less, does it make sense for them to have a sump? how about an RO/DI system?
For Lightings, again, for 10 gal systems, what about for the smaller ones?

Perhaps you can scal eit down a bit.

jsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:33 PM   #127
pipplestock
Registered Member

freshest newb here saying hi. this thread looks like the place to intro. looking forward to guidance from the saltiest of the salty. lemme read up more first so i dont get burned to a crisp haha!

thanks

pipplestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2008, 03:43 AM   #128
Shooter7
Registered Member

It's kind of interesting to me that the canister filter, while often a subject of much disdain amongst many more experienced reefers, is given a "thumbs up" in the latest article of this ongoing read. I think that perhaps a footnote should be added on this topic that, while the canister filter can be a very good tool for running the media described in the article, one must be diligent in caring for this piece of equipment. It is easy to put in the media, close it up, and switch it on, but it can become out of sight, out of mind for what's going on in there. The buildup of crud is not waving at you like a full, nasty skimmer cup does. So, the canister can be somewhat forgotten over time and become the source of exactly what you're trying to use it battle, increased nutrients from a compiled collection of waste products and other deteriorating substances that collect there. Just remember that canisters are fine, so long as you remember that you have to give them a good cleaning on a regular basis.

Current Tank Info: 10 years salty - standard 29g reef - moved from 120 gal reef, 2x250w Reeflux 10k's on ARO electronics and VHO super actinics on Icecap ballast, 2xTunze 6060, MSX 200 skimmer, GEO 612 Ca reactor, mag 12 return
Shooter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2008, 03:06 PM   #129
alanbetty
Registered Member

Are bioballs any good? If not, what filteration should I use?

alanbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2008, 09:20 AM   #130
liberpete
Registered Member

Hi new here names Pete
Little back ground had some fw tank in the past got out of it for some time.
Always loved the sea been diving in the Key some, and love the public aquariums. So we got a tank for Christmas, Yes just walk in to the lfs talk to the sales person and had a tank and every thing that goes with it.
110 gal corner flow 48x 18x 36. not really a reef tank but it was on sale, 20 gal sump all the tubes. Pump is little giant 2-mdq-sc, Salt water red sea, 150 lr, 7 bags of live sand about 4 inches.Coralive Lights on back order so was the skimmer Euro reef. Yes it was allot but that's all we got for Christmas.
Lights came in, ( may god it has three pugs ) getting a dedicated line put in soon, mite need two. lfs said Euro is out of the biz ? So got a ASM-G1x skimmer.
There it sat for 6 weeks. algae started, little bugs all over the place, and a hitchhiker hermit.
Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia all O
Time for some life in there, got 8 turbo snails, 5 small green blue chromes eat all the bugs in two days, 3 red hermits, 12 blue legged hermit, 1 coral banded shrimp 1 small foxface. I did not get them all at one time. I here you have to go slow.
Got the red slim algae. More flow right. Added 2 koralia # 3, red all most gone.
Been getting little frags of polps and zoa's I don't think I'm going to be doing coral any time soon.

Here is the Q is my sump pump to small. was going to get a biger one, but read about flow in sump ? 6 foot head so only getting alittle over 400 gal an hr.

I'm getting a heater chiller unit form an online company 1 / 8HP TECO SeaChill Chiller TR10 , Spending my saving. Should I get a bigger pump and put it in line, or get a pump and put it in my sump.
Sorry this is long

liberpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2008, 12:52 AM   #131
kyliefish
Registered Member

YES CAPTIAN REEFMASTER

WILL DO MY HOMEWORK AND REED THE ARTICALS AND BE READY FOR QUIZZING AT 16.00 HOURS

kyliefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2008, 05:18 PM   #132
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Sorry All, I've been ill and the nice young men, in their clean white coats, may be coming to take me away.

For those that I missed----

To Reef Central

Dave

Exactly my point. You use a cannister for mechanical and chemical filtration. NOT as a biofilter. You must clean or change out the media at least every two weeks or risk a nitrate problem.

jsobe,

I like to see large tanks for the beginner as they require less work than a small tank. All the factors that influence a 100 gallon tank are the same for a 30. You just downscale. First off; an RO/DI is even more important for a small tank as frequent water changes are imperative. Doing 10 gallons a week on a 30 is a good way to keep it healthy and , as is it doesn't require much salt mix, it is a simple way to maintain water quality.

A sump means more livestock but a HOB skimmer can also act as a sump. All these trick for a small tank can be found on our Nano Tank Forum.

Al & Betty

Sure bioballs have their use. If you have a small yard they are great for practicing your golf drives.

Liberpete

A 4X flow rate can be a big part of your problem. Low flow encourages slime algae. Up it to at least 10X and in the mean time do 20% water changes each week. That should subdue that algae.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2008, 06:01 PM   #133
inachu
Moved On

This site is awsome!!!!!
But I hope this message board does not fall prey to where everyone replys.......... its in teh FAQ its in the FAQ........

FAQ canned responses are lame but I think only a mod should say this to IMPRESS the user to educate himself/herself.

I know froma helpdesk perspective there are people who act like "Don't teach me just show me!" grrrr lol

But we are all human and so far this place seems lots of fun to learn.

inachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2008, 04:44 AM   #134
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Exactly my point. You use a cannister for mechanical and chemical filtration. NOT as a biofilter.
I have my canister filter hooked up on my PT Cruiser to clean the transmission filter.
Do I have to clean it before I transfer it to my reef?

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2008, 09:35 AM   #135
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by inachu
This site is awsome!!!!!
But I hope this message board does not fall prey to where everyone replys.......... its in teh FAQ its in the FAQ........
See our FAQ on canned replies to answer your query.

Paul,

If it is one of those throw back PT's I would. They probably use transmission fluid that was invented in the 1940's. See our FAQ about canister filters for details.

Tom

Old 04/11/2008, 10:20 AM   #136
puttyman
Premium Member

Dude you are hilarious. The small yard golf balls, rofl.

Just read this months article on filtration. Very helpful in avoiding problems down the road. I am in the throws of the deep sand bed debate now as I am setting up my first sw tank, 120. Any sneak previews? Thoughts on deep sand bed in a bucket instead of in the display tank? 7" of sand is a lot of space!

puttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2008, 10:27 AM   #137
puttyman
Premium Member

umm, that would be throes...

Old 04/13/2008, 11:32 AM   #138
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I've not tried it but you can check out some of Tony Calfo's threads for details. Here is one of the major one's on the topic Sandbed in a Bucket.

The gist is that it works if you keep an eye out not to overload. That is much the same as with going barebottom. It works if loading is light to moderate.

Tom

Old 04/14/2008, 10:51 PM   #139
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

cool link

NanoCube-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2008, 10:52 AM   #140
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Useful if your tank is also a bucket too, methinks.

My only worry about it is that the bed may be too deep in a bucket. Beds over 8-10" in depth sometime can go anaerobic. You sure want to have some detrivores in a bucket type bed to help get flow into the bed.

Tom

Old 04/24/2008, 08:01 AM   #141
ncfishfamily
Registered Member

Awesome!

ncfishfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2008, 12:31 PM   #142
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I don't know; usually I inspire mass panic.

Tom

Old 05/04/2008, 10:16 AM   #143
Ashlique
Registered Member

Something that might want to be added for the newbies to the forums would be an acronym list...I know I still have to google some of the acronyms to see what people are talking about!

If I had more time and knowledge, I'd start working on a list...but alas, I am one of the newbs...

-Ash

Ashlique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2008, 10:56 AM   #144
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

IFYP (I feel your pain) but IDK (I don't know) all the acronyms myself. We do have Acronyms but OMG (Oh my gosh), I haven't seen it updated in years (IHSIUIY).

FYI-Waterkeeper--It's lucky I can even spell acronyms.

Tom

Old 05/08/2008, 06:42 AM   #145
adunne
Registered Member

hey waterkeeper. nice aticle this month! unless i missed it there was no mention of replacing the bed over time. What are your thoughts on this? is it neccessary? i myth that it needs to be after a few years? any insite?

adunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2008, 05:08 PM   #146
shikhyung
Registered Member

Why can't we just lay the rocks on top of the sand instead of using the nylon dowels. thanks.

shikhyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2008, 01:58 PM   #147
puttyman
Premium Member

I have read in other threads of people having rocks fall because the sand under the rock was moved around by critters.?

The statement in this months newbie article about the mythical south down got me looking around myself. I found this and thought it was pretty funny.

There she blows! A hump like a snow hill!

It's a load of aragonite sand coming into Florida for Caribsea. This is a link to the thread. The interesting info is in the 5th post by Amphibious. Anybody else thinking about becoming a pirate? Even then I don't think there are any navigable rivers to Atlanta. JK.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/ge...-what-use.html

Old 05/09/2008, 09:14 PM   #148
vincent843
Registered Member

Thanks Puttyman.

vincent843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2008, 01:09 PM   #149
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by adunne
hey waterkeeper. nice aticle this month! unless i missed it there was no mention of replacing the bed over time. What are your thoughts on this? is it neccessary? i myth that it needs to be after a few years? any insite?
Well, if you have that barge full of aragonite you can replace all you want. Actually when you re-seed an aragonite bed about once a year you usually need not remove sand as the bed dissolves about the same amount as the new seed contributes. With silica sands you probably will need to remove some during the re-seeding as it does not decrease.

Shik,

Not only the cave-in problem but over time the rock settles into the sand. That will make the sand submerged portion of the rock into base rock. Why waste the $$$ ?

Tom

Old 05/15/2008, 06:00 PM   #150
shikhyung
Registered Member

Next, what is re-seeding?
Thanks.

shikhyung is offline   Reply With Quote