Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 04/14/2008, 09:10 AM   #976
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks a lot!

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Old 04/15/2008, 10:17 AM   #977
fernandokng
Registered Member

I made an interesting discovery yesterday. I used one of my fingers to plug the air line and then quickly removed it. I did it a few times, until the water spilled over to the cup. And I did this whole process a couple of more times. During the last time, when the water started to settle, it started to produce small bubbles and froth.

It started to skim for about an hour. (froth was about 1/2inch thick). But then the water became turbulent again, and popped the bubbles, getting rid of the froth.

I tried using my fingers to plug the hole again, but it worked a few more times, until the bubbles popped all over again. (I can't imagine spending my whole entire day doing this. Actually, I've spent more time on the skimmer than on my tank.)

Now, with that being said, I do not believe my bioload is low. It has a tang and a clown, nitrates are about 10, even after 2 water changes. I've held off on any additional live stock until this skimmer issue is resolved. And Im even more convinced after the froth I saw that this is not a bio load issue.

Jeff suggested I buy an airflow meter ($40) to test it out. Honestly, from a consumer perspective, it sucks, that I have to buy this, on top of the $350 spent on the skimmer, because problems with a one month old skimmer.

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Honestly, the two may be completely unrelated. However, you definitely need to clean that container every few months.

Take the reservoir outside and clean it with bleach water (10:1, 10 parts water, 1 part bleach). Wipe it down, scrub it, do whatever you have to do to clean all surface areas. Rinse it out well. Allow it to air dry for 24 hours. Refill it with water, add dechlorinator, and let it soak for a couple of hours. Pour that out, then perhaps wipe it down with some vinegar water one last time. Air dry, and it is ready to use again.

You should do the same with your saltwater mixing container as well.

Old 04/15/2008, 10:32 AM   #978
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Sorry about your problems.

An air flow meter is a must for all people who own or want to own a skimmer.

They are how you test to see if it is drawing an adequate amount of air.

Good luck!

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 04/15/2008, 10:45 AM   #979
tbone28
Registered Member

I have to agree with Fernando on "buying" more stuff. While I agree with Jim that an air flow meter is important, I have noticed with Euroreef customer support that they often times recommend "buying more stuff" to fix inherent problems, which I do not think is cool.

Old 04/15/2008, 01:22 PM   #980
fernandokng
Registered Member

Indeed, as if you spend another $50 on a skimmer, that would take it to another price range, and thus another skimmer in that range.

I emailed Jeff, and I'll let you know how it goes. He's usually pretty helpful.

Old 04/15/2008, 02:54 PM   #981
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Have you taken the skimmer out and inspected the venturi?? Made sure its totally clear?? It sounds like its not pulling as much air as it should, and because of that it pulls more water, therefore making more turbulence.

PBITAWA
Old 04/17/2008, 03:12 PM   #982
fernandokng
Registered Member

Venturi is clear. I placed an order for an airflow meter. I guess this is the only way to tell!

Old 04/29/2008, 06:16 AM   #983
fernandokng
Registered Member

So I got the following flow meter: http://www.dwyer-inst.com.au/htdocs/...iesRMPrice.cfm

What is the best way to install it? I'm kinda loss on how to put the air in, etc.

Any suggestions? Thx.

Old 04/29/2008, 08:18 AM   #984
flat broke
Registered Member

The airflow meter sits inline between your skimmer and the outside air. You would attach the airline from the skimmer to the top of the meter, and either leave the bottom open, or run airline to a location outside your tank stand if that is how you currently have your setup. You'll want to use enough airline to keep the meter away from any splashing etc. where salt creep can be an issue.

HTH,
Chris

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
Old 04/29/2008, 09:51 AM   #985
fernandokng
Registered Member

Thanks Chris.

The issue I have is that the skimmer airline is thinner than the width of the input to the airflow meter, so they both can't connect to each other without some sort of adapter... where I can find such an "adapter"?

Old 04/29/2008, 09:59 AM   #986
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Are you sure you have the right sized airline on your skimmer then?

Oh, nevermind. I thought you got the one from euro-reef. If THAT one didn't fit than my above question might have been relevant...

I really don't know how you would hood it up. Maybe someone else has some input!

PBITAWA
Old 05/16/2008, 02:57 PM   #987
fernandokng
Registered Member

Just a quick update. So I got the airflow meter and the adapter, and it seems as it's only pulling 6-7liter per minute. (RS 135 should pull around 11).

I knew I wasn't crazy when the bubbles were all over the place ;-) It will be sent in to EuroReef for them to look at.

Hopefully I'll get a brand new pump... :-) I wonder if it's worth to pay the difference to get the Eheim pump?

Old 05/16/2008, 06:32 PM   #988
Todd March
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fernandokng
... I wonder if it's worth to pay the difference to get the Eheim pump?
Good, Lord, YES! Pay whatever they ask--even if it's highway robbery. It's so worth it--the Eheims are just about as good as it gets. If more products were engineered for durability like Eheim (and mind you the company's been and strong for decades!) products are, this hobby would be much easier in terms of navigating through all the crap...

Old 05/29/2008, 09:27 PM   #989
Jen D
Registered Member

CS6-1 v. RS-80

I'll start this post with an apology, because I didn't read the entire thread before posting. I wanted to start at the beginning, but I got to the 4th split back and was overwhelmed. I decided to just ask and hope for an answer.

So, here's my question:
I wanted an RS-80 for my 55g display + 29g sump. Now, I've found a used CS6-1 for a good price. How do they compare? And, is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used Euro-Reef?

Old 05/30/2008, 09:09 AM   #990
flameangel88
Registered Member

Euroreef CS 8-2 recirc skimmer

Can someone point me in the right direction to get more info on this skimmer such as 1)what size tank is it rated for 2) what type of pump(s) will I need?

I'm looking to pick up a used one for my 180g but don't have any knowledge on Euroreef skimmers and whether this model is adequate for my tank.

TIA!

Last edited by flameangel88; 05/30/2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05/30/2008, 09:18 AM   #991
Todd March
Premium Member

Re: CS6-1 v. RS-80

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen D
I wanted an RS-80 for my 55g display + 29g sump. Now, I've found a used CS6-1 for a good price. How do they compare? And, is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used Euro-Reef?
An RS-80 has a 5" diameter reaction tube, while the CS6-1 has a 6" reaction tube diameter. I believe the RS-80 will be a little taller as well--like 22" as opposed to around 20" for the CS6-1, but don't quote me on this...

They should both have a Sedra 3500, with around 400 lph air flow. So it's really probably a wash, maybe, maybe, the CS6-1 has an advantage with a little larger tube, but the pump is a little older, but then the RS-8 has a little taller reaction chamber/tube, so...?

If you can get the CS6-1 for a good price, I think that would be a fine skimmer for your 55+ tank. I would run the pump is a strong vinegar solution for a couple of hours to really clean it well of salt and mineral deposits, and then you are good to go...

Old 05/30/2008, 09:22 AM   #992
chewie
Registered Member

Re: Euroreef CS 8-2 recirc skimmer

dp....

Old 05/30/2008, 09:22 AM   #993
chewie
Registered Member

Re: Euroreef CS 8-2 recirc skimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by flameangel88
Can someone point me in the right direction to get more info on this skimmer such as 1)what size tank is it rated for 2) what type of pump(s) will I need?

I'm looking to pick up a used one for my 180g but don't have any knowledge on Euroreef skimmers and whether this model is adequate for my tank.

TIA!
CS 8-2 With a RC'd pump will be the equivalent to the RC 180. For Longevity and silence go with an Ehiem 1262.

Should be good for a medium stocked 180.

Old 05/30/2008, 09:25 AM   #994
hansmatt
Registered Member

I have a 5-3, which is a bit taller than the 80 I believe, but also with a 3500. I run it on a 90g display with 40g sump, medium bioload. It has the meshmod (pins cut off needlewheel replaced with ekomat mesh) and gatevalve modification for easier/finer tuning of the skimmate. It does a great job, especially with the mesh modification. If it is a good price (less than $200 maybe) the 6-1 would certainly do you well. I understand that the sedra pumps are a bit quieter than some of the newer pumps used (not the eheims). Both the mesh and diy gatevalve mods are worth it.

Old 05/30/2008, 09:29 AM   #995
Todd March
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hansmatt
...Both the mesh and diy gatevalve mods are worth it.
The meshwheel has pluses and minuses (mainly pluses), but the gatevalve is a no-brainer--I can't imagine running a skimmer without it. Very, very worth it for the ease of setting it gives all ER skimmers...

Old 05/30/2008, 10:05 AM   #996
flameangel88
Registered Member

Re: Re: Euroreef CS 8-2 recirc skimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie
CS 8-2 With a RC'd pump will be the equivalent to the RC 180. For Longevity and silence go with an Ehiem 1262.

Should be good for a medium stocked 180.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've to re-think about this because I've a pretty heavy bioload right now. I'm currently running a Tunze DOC 9010 and I was thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank (300-400g range) or add a 125g sump for short-term till the basement's fishroom project is complete. I was hoping to one large skimmer instead of getting another one to supplement the Tunze.

This brings to another question--what would you recommend for a 400g tank med stocked on the Euroreef? Thanks.

Old 05/30/2008, 10:16 AM   #997
chewie
Registered Member

RC500

Old 05/30/2008, 10:18 AM   #998
flameangel88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie
RC500
Thank you! On to research...

Old 05/30/2008, 10:21 AM   #999
chewie
Registered Member

Look for a used CS 12-2 and 2 ehiem 1262's. With the misc parts and mesh instead of the ER pinwheel, you can build a RC500 for around 6-7 hundo.

Old 05/30/2008, 10:21 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1401639

Closed Thread