Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/30/2008, 02:17 PM   #351
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
CO2 is a product of respiration. You, or your fish, exhale CO2 with every breath. During the day the sun allows algae to use CO2 as food. That is, through photosynthesis they use the carbon to form simple sugars. At night they use the sugar as fuel and to build new tissue. In doing so they also release CO2 back inot the water. This is what causes a diurnal pH shift in the aquarium.

CO2 is also used for calcium reactors. It forms acidic carbonic acid in water and that can dissolve limestone. By bubbling a stream of CO2 through a column packed with limestone some dissolves. This provides both calcium and alkalinity for the tank.

As an aquarist we need to control the amount of CO2 in our tanks. Too much lowers pH and reduces the water's oxygen content. Good gas exchange is therefore a must. Aeration will strip CO2 from the tank and help keep it under control.

Hope that helps.
waterkeeper is right on the mark--but then he is waterkeeper

to further add to methods of aeration in the tank:

big time--keep the surface of your tank uncovered(eg glass covers ect) and keep the surface turbulent

flow--20-40 times the vol of your tank in gph

protein skimmers---ensure a good deal of oxygen exchange

refugiumus---as mentioned above--the algae use carbon dioxide and replace it with oxygen through photosynthesis
the algae also uses phosphates and nitrates for your tank--making a refugium IMO a great asset to any system.

If you come to a situation with low pH or the pH lowering then approach from an increase in carbon dioxide in and around your tank. Checking the above or even opening a window in the fish tank can make a difference in the pH.
It is not a good idea to use buffers to raise pH---they tend to also raise the alkalinity level also with boran---not a good thing.

I can explain further if you want

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2008, 02:19 PM   #352
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for catching that Scott. I missed Alan's reply as I was so amazed with Lonnies post.
right --you miss something on here---that's like PaulB stating he doesn't like seafood anymore

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Old 10/30/2008, 03:24 PM   #353
Paul B
Premium Member

Sea what?

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2008, 03:39 PM   #354
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
Sea what?
and we've got the salad to go with it:

Old 10/30/2008, 06:03 PM   #355
Paul B
Premium Member

Now thats a meal

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2008, 07:53 PM   #356
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I prefer the blue rings myself. Helps with my toxic humor.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2008, 07:17 AM   #357
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
to further add to methods of aeration in the tank: big time--keep the surface of your tank uncovered(eg glass covers ect) and keep the surface turbulent flow--20-40 times the vol of your tank in gph
As it's sometimes impossible to flow 20-40 times the tank volume through the sump and refugium via the return pump, what's a good ratio of return pump GPH to in-tank circulators GPH?
I am contemplating a 250 gallon so 40 times that is (let me get my abacus out - or is it incubus I never can remember ) around 170 GPM.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Sir Winston Churchill praising those young RAF pilots.
August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
EnglishRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2008, 08:58 AM   #358
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I tend to have a someone lower range, on the order of 10-20X but much depends on what you place in your tank. Some corals like the real high flow but others perfer a more modest pace. I'd therefore suggest figuring 20X flow. Rounding off, about 80 gals. per minute should be fine

Tom

Old 10/31/2008, 09:21 AM   #359
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRebel
As it's sometimes impossible to flow 20-40 times the tank volume through the sump and refugium via the return pump, what's a good ratio of return pump GPH to in-tank circulators GPH?
I am contemplating a 250 gallon so 40 times that is (let me get my abacus out - or is it incubus I never can remember ) around 170 GPM.
IMO there is a little confusion here

The ideal range of flow through your tank is 20-40 times its vol in gph and that is for lps and softies. SPs corals have even greater flows then that

but

the flow through your sump should only be 5-10 times the volume of your water column in gph
Ideally it should match the flow rate of your protein skimmer. That ensures that unskimmed water is not being returned to the display tank.

BTW if you don't have a closed loop in the 250 then two of the new Koralia 8's each deliver a turbulant flow of 3200 gph each and at 160 bucks a piece --that's a deal.

Old 10/31/2008, 10:01 AM   #360
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Happy Halloween!

Tom

Old 10/31/2008, 02:35 PM   #361
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy Halloween!

is this the day we finally see real pictures of you

I think you should be hammering the candidates for universal dental plans

Old 10/31/2008, 03:00 PM   #362
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Anyone keep one of those? It is the ugliest fish in the ocean. I guess one needs a really deep tank to have one, like about as deep as Mt. Everest, but it would scare off just about everybody at a party. I wonder if there is a giant varity, as they don't grow that big?

Tom

Old 10/31/2008, 04:10 PM   #363
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone keep one of those? It is the ugliest fish in the ocean. I guess one needs a really deep tank to have one, like about as deep as Mt. Everest, but it would scare off just about everybody at a party. I wonder if there is a giant varity, as they don't grow that big?
what is that--an eel?

I think I read some where that this is the largest fish known to man--and the deepest running:

Old 10/31/2008, 04:25 PM   #364
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

No a hump-back, black angler. Only grows to a foot of so. At least those that have been observed.

Tom

Old 10/31/2008, 04:35 PM   #365
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
No a hump-back, black angler. Only grows to a foot of so. At least those that have been observed.
are they reef safe

Old 10/31/2008, 05:15 PM   #366
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Not on Halloween night they're not.

Tom

Old 11/01/2008, 09:01 AM   #367
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
IMO there is a little confusion here. The ideal range of flow through your tank is 20-40 times its vol in gph and that is for lps and softies. SPs corals have even greater flows then that
but
the flow through your sump should only be 5-10 times the volume of your water column in gph
Ideally it should match the flow rate of your protein skimmer. That ensures that unskimmed water is not being returned to the display tank. BTW if you don't have a closed loop in the 250 then two of the new Koralia 8's each deliver a turbulant flow of 3200 gph each and at 160 bucks a piece --that's a deal.
Capn
Thanks for the clarification and advice on flow rates. My gravity feed from the DT will be split (via ball valves) between the sump (for skimming) and the refugium (which will then gravity drain to the sump).
If I have to match the flow rate with the skimmer and the refugium flows into the sump, should the flow rate through the sump only be the rate of the skimmer or the combined flow rate of the sump and refugium? I guess what I'm getting at is should the gravity flow from the refugium be skimmed or fed directly to the return pump section of the sump?
Thanks in advance.

August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Old 11/01/2008, 09:12 AM   #368
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Alan,

I'd run it toothe return pump as the skimmer tends to trap pods and such in the bubble train and remove them from the system. You want them to migrate to the display.

Tom

Old 11/01/2008, 11:53 AM   #369
Blown76mav
Registered Member

Well I am HAPPY to report that my first overflow box works with only two little leaks. A little Weld 16 and all will be fine. I followed Marc's (melevsreef.com) directions and they worked excellent. Not only that but the wife even seemed intrested in what it was and how it works, she's starting to get hooked which means good things. Next on my list is a sump tank.....

Lonnie

Blown76mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2008, 12:03 PM   #370
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown76mav
Well I am HAPPY to report that my first overflow box works with only two little leaks. A little Weld 16 and all will be fine. I followed Marc's (melevsreef.com) directions and they worked excellent. Not only that but the wife even seemed intrested in what it was and how it works, she's starting to get hooked which means good things. Next on my list is a sump tank.....

Lonnie

good news Lonnie--good luck and keep posting. Be sure and check this thread for information on sumps and fuges:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1349443

Good news about your wife too---this early in the hobby it means less time of perptuating the myth that everything you buy "costs 20 bucks--thats all"

Last edited by Aquarist007; 11/01/2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11/01/2008, 12:07 PM   #371
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Alan,

I'd run it toothe return pump as the skimmer tends to trap pods and such in the bubble train and remove them from the system. You want them to migrate to the display.
agree 100 per cent also:

With the two ball valves you will be able to control the flow quite well. Number for flow rates have been discussed and discussed on here before
IMO--I would judge the flow rate by observing the refugium for awhile---if the flow rate is too much then it will be picking up too much nutrients from the tank--look for signs of cyano and the red stringy algae caught up in the chaeto.
In that case I would have less flow going to the refugium(s) and more going to the skimmer part of the sump.

Old 11/07/2008, 11:24 PM   #372
Blown76mav
Registered Member

Well how do you know when you've been bitten by the saltwater bug? When you go to buy a Mag 7 and come home with a 65 gallon pre-drilled tank, stand, heater, Mag 7, 30 gallon sump and a power head for the price of the Mag 7 new. I no sooner checked my sump for leaks (none) and was looking on craigslist for a Mag 7 trying to save some coin when I found the above for 125. I think I did ok, it needs cleand up.

Lonnie

Blown76mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2008, 06:28 AM   #373
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Sounds like a good deal to me Lonnie. Probably being sold by some Newbie Reefer who took my advise.

Tom

Old 11/08/2008, 09:15 AM   #374
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

WaterKeeper
Back on the QT trail When QTing live rock is it okay to run DT water through the QT tank and back to the sump with suitable traps for any bad hithchikers or do we need to QT the rock as we would fish?
Thanks

August 20th 1940

Old 11/08/2008, 09:28 AM   #375
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Darn Alan you come up with some good questions.

In theory, yes you can. If you have a 1 micron or less filter installed between the two it will trap most all pathogens; save some very small bacteria and almost all viruses. A good UV will also eliminate most, if not all, from the reticulating water.

I've always promoted using a canister filter with micron cartridge for freeing a tank of microbial pests as it is cheaper and processes more water volume than a UV. When hooking tanks together a UV is a good solution as it can rid the tank of things too small for most filters to eliminate.

Tom