Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 04/10/2008, 04:21 PM   #951
melev
Moved On

What water depth is that in? And how do you clean out the brown detritus that seems to be gathering on the sloped section?

Old 04/10/2008, 04:24 PM   #952
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

THAT IS NOT THEIR NEW SKIMMER!!!!

It is merely a new design that they are testing.

Refer yourself to this thread.

They have been doing some research and have found the inner cone to actually be detrimental to skimmer performance. (page 2 of the thread)

http://euroreefinc.proboards74.com/v...read=26&page=1

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 04:25 PM   #953
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Great questions Marc. Not really sure. I know that is the reason why ATB builds their skimmers so that they can be broken down.

I know that BK supermarine owner as well as ATI BM owners probably experience the same thing, so maybe one of them can chime in??

I would assume that in this configuration, you would just need to take a hose to it, but I'm not sure.

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 04/10/2008, 04:26 PM   #954
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
THAT IS NOT THEIR NEW SKIMMER!!!!

Refer yourself to this thread.

They have been doing some research and have found the inner cone to actually be detrimental to skimmer performance.

http://euroreefinc.proboards74.com/v...read=26&page=1

So, the skimmer pictures that I posted are not of their new skimmer??????

That thread is actually where the pics came from

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 04/10/2008, 04:31 PM   #955
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Sorry for the CAPS up above...

It is a new design that they are testing and making available on a limited basis, I believe.

If you read the second page of that thread, they are realizing that the bubble diffuser might not be all its cracked up to be.

I take it you got the pics from that thread?

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 04:31 PM   #956
tbone28
Registered Member

Jim/Marc - my BK SM has that sloped interior cone. Unless you have small hands, it's hard to clean. I'd have to stick a towel and spatula or butter knife to clean that area off.

Old 04/10/2008, 04:35 PM   #957
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

tbone28- its on the second page of the thread... I think they are talking more about the bubble diffuser plate, but they may just be talking about the new design in general...

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 04:36 PM   #958
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Sorry for the CAPS up above...

It is a new design that they are testing and making available on a limited basis, I believe.

If you read the second page of that thread, they are realizing that the bubble diffuser might not be all its cracked up to be.

I take it you got the pics from that thread?
Yeah, I read that part of thread, but I can't imagine they came up with a new design already. I'm pretty sure that if they gave one away at MAX, it was one of those.

Bradley Nowell

Old 04/10/2008, 04:39 PM   #959
tbone28
Registered Member

Ryan - I finally saw the 2nd page, and so deleted the question from my post

Old 04/10/2008, 04:40 PM   #960
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

I wouldn't doubt that that one was given out. They said they were releasing some on a limited basis.

But i thought it was interesting that they said in their opinion that the bubble diffuser plate did reduce turbulence, but detracted from the performance of the skimmer due to reaction time. They also mention some other "detrimental factors", but they don't discuss them..

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 04:42 PM   #961
tbone28
Registered Member

^ I agree, they had a few vague and contradicting statements in that thread

Old 04/11/2008, 10:29 AM   #962
mariocaz
Registered Member

What model of Euro is that ??

180 gal. Reef with Euro-Reef RC 500, MidwestAquatic Sulfur Denitrifier, AC3, Dart return pump, Hammerhead w/2 WavySeas, 3 400 watts MH bulbs w/ VHO Actinics, 1/2 Compact DI TW Chiller, Osmolator, etc.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. Reef Aquarium and 125 gal. Fish only tank.
Old 04/12/2008, 08:46 AM   #963
fernandokng
Registered Member

LOL.

But my are my nitrates going up? I did a water change, and INSTANTLY stuff started to build around the neck (Now, really I'm sure there's something to skim).

Left it over night, and woke up the next morning, nothing! Got all those bloody big bubbles again, and ruined everything. ***.

This skimmer is stressing me out.

Quote:
1.023 is actually on the low end.

that may have something to do with it..

but 2 fish with 78 gallons of water volume, that is essentially 0 bioload. and that skimmer is rated for +/- 135 gallons with a medium bioload.

you have a light bioload, with a little more than half of the recommended water... you should have my skimmer (rs80) lol..

Old 04/12/2008, 12:19 PM   #964
melev
Moved On

It really sounds like something is getting in the water and affected surface tension. What do you top off with? When did you change carbon last? From the water change to this morning, what exactly was added to the tank (automatically, manually, and via air/environment)?

Old 04/12/2008, 05:21 PM   #965
fernandokng
Registered Member

I use auto top off with RO/DI.

I changed my carbon last week, and I don't add anything to my tank except pellets as good.

Is there anything I can test the water.

I did a TDS test on my NYC water vs my rodi using gone of those portable hanna meters..

NYC Water - 45
RO/DI - 125

What the heck? That's really strange. How can you tell if the meter is messed up?

Old 04/12/2008, 06:19 PM   #966
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

ya, um you sure you didn't check the waste side of the ro/di unit?

PBITAWA
Old 04/12/2008, 06:29 PM   #967
melev
Moved On

Take a sample of the RO/DI water in a clean dry cup, after the RO has run for 60 to 90 seconds first.

Odds are your collection container or reservoir is badly in need of cleaning with bleach water.

Old 04/13/2008, 10:26 AM   #968
fernandokng
Registered Member

You're right Marc. The new RO/DI made water reads at 0.

I made a fresh batch of ro/di and let it sit in the container, and checked this morning, and it was at 50ppm.

Can that really after the skimmer that badly? I'll give it a good cleaning today. I've been using that bucket for a long time. How many water changes do you think will fix all of this?

How do you clean with bleach + water? Is it safe for the fishes?

Thanks,
Fernando

Old 04/13/2008, 01:12 PM   #969
melev
Moved On

Honestly, the two may be completely unrelated. However, you definitely need to clean that container every few months.

Take the reservoir outside and clean it with bleach water (10:1, 10 parts water, 1 part bleach). Wipe it down, scrub it, do whatever you have to do to clean all surface areas. Rinse it out well. Allow it to air dry for 24 hours. Refill it with water, add dechlorinator, and let it soak for a couple of hours. Pour that out, then perhaps wipe it down with some vinegar water one last time. Air dry, and it is ready to use again.

You should do the same with your saltwater mixing container as well.

Old 04/13/2008, 03:58 PM   #970
moondoggy4
Registered Member

What is the CS 250 skimmer? How long ago did they make it. They're numbers are so confusing even their website doesn't help just letters and numbers and no pictures. I still don't know which skimmer I have. Do they still make the CS line they only seem to have the RC type. My skimmer has the dolphin pump 40 turns 24'' tall and appr. 5'' in diameter. Thanks in advance.

Old 04/13/2008, 05:06 PM   #971
Jim_S
Timo Boll

They still make CS skimmers, just only when ordered.

The market equivalent is the RS series. You have like an old CS5-2 or 5-3. Something like that.

Now the closest thing is the RS80 I think.

HTH

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Old 04/13/2008, 07:55 PM   #972
i2ik
Registered Member

I am about to get a new skimmer for my QT tank, i am looking for the RS80 and would like to know the dimensions with the pump. I looked in the thread but could not find it and i was not willing to go over the 100 pages Thanks for your help!

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Old 04/13/2008, 10:06 PM   #973
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

It is listed on the website as having a 9"x9" footprint.

I would say that is extremely close to how big it is (i have one).

Its might be slightly smaller in one direction, depending on which way you face the exhaust tube..

Hope that helps!

PBITAWA
Old 04/13/2008, 11:32 PM   #974
i2ik
Registered Member

I thought the website was only showing the size of the base and not with the pump. I really need to know with the pump so i can make plans for the QT.

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Old 04/13/2008, 11:46 PM   #975
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

no, that is the "footprint" that they list. if you look, the skimmer diameter is only like 5". then with the pump it comes out to roughly 9"x9".

PBITAWA
Closed Thread