Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/16/2008, 11:37 AM   #126
waterfaller1
Registered Member

Yes, they just turn loose. I use the sprayer and hot water. Of course as I said, be careful how much you do because you are really compromising your LR this way as far as the biological good bacteria. I look at it as a way to clean up some detritus while I am at it. Beware, your coraline will die. It looks electric funky colors when you place it back.. I use a steak knife and a pair of tweezers to assist as well.The steak knife works pretty good, insert and twist... DIE YOU -------- so & so's >>>>>

waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2008, 07:53 PM   #127
chase01
Registered Member

My little 12g fell victim to majanos that came in on live rock (maybe 40-50 of them). As a newbie I didn't know what they were and it took some time to ID them. I found that if I leave the lights off for several hours the anemones tend to move towards the top of the tank. While they are in transit they are easy to suck up with a turkey baster. In the past 2 months I have cut the numbers in less than half. Time consuming but effective!

chase01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 06:50 AM   #128
waterfaller1
Registered Member

Well..I added a Majestic angel. gorgeous well mannered fish. Doesn't touch a single coral, or majano. I want new LR, but can't seem to talk hubby into it. So what's next? A raccoon seems to be best? My sps corals are getting killed anyway from the majanos under them. They are all up the walls by the overflow...
I am ready to give this tank up completely..almost.

Old 09/10/2008, 07:50 AM   #129
chadfarmer
Premium Member

I have them and they are starting to get bad-- for me at least

i have zoos, acans, sps in my tank what would be the best fish to get them

I was thanking about a seperate tank but i need a whole tank cure ---i really dont want to take my rokc out and finally got it how i want it and only took me 6 months

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 07:59 AM   #130
GSMguy
Registered Member

yes mojanos are the worst pest evarrrr.... i hate them, i had like 1,000 and i killed like 998 and now i have 40-50 again.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 08:41 AM   #131
drgabe
Premium Member

Chad-
I wish I had seen this last week.
My tank had alot of majanos- to the point they were taking over the tank.
That all ended with the introduction of a racoon butterfly. He was placed in a Q-tank and given only a diet of majano covered rocks and a bit of mysis. Within a month, he was completely converted to mowing through majanos like Oprah at an all you can eat buffett.
The racoon was then added to the main tank (moving the LPS and zooas to the Q-tank) and went to town on the pests. He never messed with the SPS.
He even took out the few aptasia I had hanging around.

The fish is gone now, and I notice a couple of majanos still around. However, they are easy to control since there are only three or four.

Chad- if you want the same fish, he is at Andy's.

drgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 08:44 AM   #132
rpeeples
Premium Member

I thought I would provide a little of my experience with the Majanos. I will try to make a long drawn out process very short.

I set my tank (240G Display) up in DEC 2006 using Macro Rocks. Basically these are bleached out with no living creatures on the rocks. I took an old piece of rock, from my 90G, were I had Yuma's on it as well as some unidentified, later to be named "Majanos" on it.

I had a LFS owner drop by my house one day to look at my tank. He noticed the Majanos on this one piece of rock and prudently advised me to remove the rock immediately. I did not take this advice and the Majanos proceeded to spread throughout all rock, sand, plumbing, etc in the tank. It even took up homage in snail shells, overflows, etc. I mean this stuff is like a bad case of the Herpes.

Well I battled trying to rid the rock of these pests for almost 1.5 years using every, and I mean every, known product under the aquatic umbrella, only to have the Majanos retreat for a short period of time (usually 2 weeks) and return with a vengeance. I even tried numerous fishes, including the False Facula, Raccoon, and Copperband butterflies.

It was a losing battled!!!! I was on the brink of leaving the hobby. Again, this was my experience and trust me. I will never go through this again! With over 300lbs of rock in a tank that sits roughly 4 feet off the floor, injecting, basting, and removing rock from the tank is not an easy task. Humbled by this problem I made a last ditch effort and plead for help in the thread below and although the drastic it is not the end of the story:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1424515

First, I want to thank a fellow kind reefer named ¡§Servo¡¨ out of Texas who called me on the phone and showed empathy for my situation and inspired me to take action. Within minutes of ending the call I proceed to remove all the rock from my tank.

The thread above was only the beginning as continuous monitoring of the tank post rock removal showed these ¡§Rock Herpes¡¨ re-appear on the glass, sand, coral bases, frag stand, plumbing¡K.basically everywhere!

So where do we stand on the problem today? My entire 240G display is completely empty void of water, sand, fish, coral, etc. I then went to Wal-Mart and purchased 15 bottles of 1 gallon jugs of vinegar and flushed the system with a mixture of vinegar and water. I let the tank run for 2 days killing anything that could be seen or not seen in the tank. Today the tank is completely emptied.

All my coral and fish are in the garage in a 150G Rubbermaid container which is setup with all my previous equipment except for a new skimmer which was lent to me by a fellow local reefer¡K..SPSFREAK ƒº

So obviously this post was not as short as I hoped but it gives you an idea to what measures I am taking to rid my tank of the ¡§Majanos From Hell¡¨

This is still an ongoing process as I continue to monitor to see if the ¡§immaculate conception of the Majanos re-appear.

Good luck to all those who currently face this treachery, I thank those who have shared their wisdom of near destruction, and pray to those blessed with an absence of this ¡§rock herpe¡¨ and may it stay that way.

rpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 08:53 AM   #133
GSMguy
Registered Member

my petco has a racoon i think i should go buy it.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 09:00 AM   #134
drgabe
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
my petco has a racoon i think i should go buy it.
If you do the work to get them hooked on majanos, they will clean up the tank. Just be careful of the LPS and zooanthids.

drgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 03:27 PM   #135
CAreefer
Premium Member

I can't speak on the majano infestation, but in my quest to rid hundreds of aiptasia in my 265 SPS dominant reef I wandered across a post inre the C. kleinii / Klein's Butterfly

Inexpensive, bulletproof and voracious appetite for Aiptasia. As a 2" juvenile, my tank was void of 'tasia within 2 weeks. Now he eats, flake, frozen, pellet, anything I throw in the tank. He has "tasted" my duncan, and a few random zoo's (I don't have many) and an SPS every now and then, but does no appreciable damage. In fact, I just picked up another C. kleinii from the LFS and add him to the tank as well.

HTH
CAReefer

Current Tank Info: 265 Gallon A.G.E. Starphire SPS in the build stage. 3 400 watt Helios 20k on PFO HQI/Ice Cap ballasts. Bubble King 300 skimmer.
CAreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 03:30 PM   #136
poknsnok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CAreefer
I can't speak on the majano infestation, but in my quest to rid hundreds of aiptasia in my 265 SPS dominant reef I wandered across a post inre the C. kleinii / Klein's Butterfly

Inexpensive, bulletproof and voracious appetite for Aiptasia. As a 2" juvenile, my tank was void of 'tasia within 2 weeks. Now he eats, flake, frozen, pellet, anything I throw in the tank. He has "tasted" my duncan, and a few random zoo's (I don't have many) and an SPS every now and then, but does no appreciable damage. In fact, I just picked up another C. kleinii from the LFS and add him to the tank as well.

HTH
CAReefer
awesome. how big does it get?? any nipping on the sps??

poknsnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 03:40 PM   #137
x2uranium
Registered Member

they have been spreading like wildfire in my tank.. I just purchased some berghia nudi's I am acclimating them as we speak. Hopefully they will lay eggs and I will sell em for cheap!.. I had to pay Shipped to my door $140 for 8 Of them!!!

x2uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 03:41 PM   #138
waterfaller1
Registered Member

I ordered one of these this morning. I figured what the heck, if he eats all the corals at least I have a nice looking fish.

chaetodon ephippeum-saddled butterfly

Old 09/10/2008, 04:08 PM   #139
jay24k
Registered Member

I had a few from some liverock I got from someone. Before I knew it, it was on several pieces. About 8 months ago, I tore half my tank down, took the rock out and set it in my driveway. I rinsed it down and filled up a tub of bleach water and let it sit in there for 2 days. Rinsed the rock out and let the air cure it for about 5 days rinsing it each day. I put the rock back in half the tank. I then got the other half and put in a large chunk into my sump to keep the bacterial going. I then did the same to that rock as well. If it had one on it, it got bleached.

For about 3 to 4 weeks, the tank went through a "nasty rock" phase as the rock had to readjust from being base. However, I have no pests at all. This also got rid of xenia which I'll never add to my tank.

So if you can get like 25% of your rock that is clean into your sump (or borrow some from someone), then bleach the rest and it will be gone. I've tried it all and it is much quicker then torching, cooking, screw drivering it out.

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 04:37 PM   #140
Whalehead9
Registered Member

The best way to kill them, is to purchase a Sonicare toothbrush! They are fully submersible, and easily scrape off any soft bodied animals. I know that it sounds weird, but it beats all the kalk and the like, particularly in places where there are bare rocks or no nearby corals. It might take a few times to kill them, but all that is left is slime.

Current Tank Info: 12 asst fw+sw tanks
Whalehead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 07:30 PM   #141
x2uranium
Registered Member

http://www.saltyunderground.com/

Old 09/10/2008, 07:59 PM   #142
montrealreef
Registered Member

Whalehead9,

The toothbrush trick sounds very interesting...

x2uranium,

Berghia will not eat majanos! they only eat aiptasia. In an act of desperation, i purchased some and I placed them in a small tank. I put in a rock full of majanos. They did not touch them. They died of starvation!

montrealreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 08:16 PM   #143
x2uranium
Registered Member

oh, I thought they were one in the same.

Old 09/18/2008, 09:14 AM   #144
L98-Z
Registered Member

Well now, this is just terrible since I just bought about 75lbs of live rock infested with this stuff. I didn't realize how bad they were.

L98-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2008, 09:24 AM   #145
jay24k
Registered Member

I dont think the toothbrush would work unless you sucked up every piece of it. Otherwise if even a spec lands somewhere else, it will regrow.

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2008, 09:28 AM   #146
rpeeples
Premium Member

I agree with Jay....

Any remnants will proliferate many more. I had 300lbs infested.

rpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2008, 09:33 AM   #147
montrealreef
Registered Member

L98-Z,

If you don't have corals in your tank yet, get rid of these buggers before they take over your tank and your choices become limited in how to deal with them.

If you don't have corals to worry about, purchase a healthy looking raccoon butterflyfish and put it in with the rocks. Do not feed it at all, eventually it'll develop a taste for the majanos and will pick them out one by one. Use dim lighting throughout this period. This will drive the majanos out to the top of the tank in search for light and that will make them accessible to the raccoon.

When your rocks have been free of majanos for a few weeks, you can then return the butterfly or find a new home for it and then start to introduce corals to your tank.

good luck

sam

Old 09/18/2008, 10:43 AM   #148
L98-Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by montrealreef
L98-Z,

If you don't have corals in your tank yet, get rid of these buggers before they take over your tank and your choices become limited in how to deal with them.

If you don't have corals to worry about, purchase a healthy looking raccoon butterflyfish and put it in with the rocks. Do not feed it at all, eventually it'll develop a taste for the majanos and will pick them out one by one. Use dim lighting throughout this period. This will drive the majanos out to the top of the tank in search for light and that will make them accessible to the raccoon.

When your rocks have been free of majanos for a few weeks, you can then return the butterfly or find a new home for it and then start to introduce corals to your tank.

good luck

sam
Sam,

The rocks I bought also have some corals on them, but only a couple and I'm not worried about them. My main concern is that I have over 100lbs of marco base rock that I have a feeling will soon be infested with these as well.

Assuming I bought a racoon butterfly, what are the chances he would truly remove all of them? The rocks seem like they would hide some.

L98-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2008, 12:46 PM   #149
montrealreef
Registered Member

whenever you are dealing with biological means of controlling pests, you must be prepared for some variability in results. Not all raccoons will exhibit the same willingness/appetite for the majanos. I have seen some that absolutely love them and others that occasionally nip at them. If after a few weeks, the fish is not eating the majanos, you should be prepared to replace it with another raccoon. You may also have luck with a double saddle butterfly fish.

You should resists the temptation to stock your tank before you take care of this problem, no matter how long it takes. I struggled with them for over a year in my SPS tank. I was limited in what fish I could introduce because so many of the fish I tired went after my SPS as well. I had almost lost hope until one day out of the blue my majestic angelfish took interest in them. It had ignored them for almost 8 months. It has managed to keep them under control (but not totally eradicated). There are still a few in hard to reach areas between the rocks.

Keeping the lights dim should help draw them out of the cracks in the rocks towards the light. That is not really an option when you have lots of SPS...

good luck and keep us posted

sam

Old 09/18/2008, 11:28 PM   #150
Whalehead9
Registered Member

It will get most of them, but you hit it on the head, They will return. Find a way to kill them manually. It will not be easy. persistence is the only solution. I have seen the sonic tooth method remove 12x12 areas of majanos quite quickly, but survivors must be dealt with mercilessly. kalk paste, dremel off small bits of liverock, and open up small caves so that hiding anemones can be killed. Use all option discussed.

If you do get a Butterfly to help out, you will still need to go over all the ones that it missed. Once you remove it get back to the brush, paste and all the other stuff to stop reinfestations in their tracks.

Current Tank Info: 12 asst fw+sw tanks
Whalehead9 is offline   Reply With Quote