Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 01/19/2008, 10:56 PM   #751
melev
Moved On

Are those of you asking about silencers doing so because you don't like the sound of air being drawn into the venturi tube, or is it something else?

Old 01/19/2008, 10:58 PM   #752
Tennsquire
Registered Member

Re: Replacement pump for CS 6-1

Quote:
Originally posted by beto72
My Sedra 3500 went dead on my CS 6-1. What would be a good pump to replace it with?
I was thinking of the Sicce or a Sedra 5000. Would these be too much for the skimmer?

I'm using the skimmer on a 54g corner tank.

Thanks!

Alberto
I replaced the stock pump om my CS6-1 with a Sedra 5000, and it's a totally different skimmer. It really skims well now. I have it on my prop system (maybe 70 gallons total volume). Also added a gate valve, which makes it easier to dial in than the stock riser pipe.

Current Tank Info: 75 reef (2x 250 ReefOptix IIIs, AB 10k bulbs w/ 330 watt VHO, EuroReef RC135 skimmer, multicontrolled Tunze 6095's X2); 40 sps prop tank (Outer Orbit Pro 150, Euroreef CS6-1+ skimmer); 20 softie prop tank
Old 01/20/2008, 06:10 AM   #753
hansmatt
Registered Member

air intake line

Old 01/23/2008, 03:02 PM   #754
danceswithfish
Registered Member

melev- I was talking about it because I recieved an extra part that appers to be a silencer

Old 01/23/2008, 06:21 PM   #755
casingbill
Registered Member

Hey all, I just installed an RS80 with gate valve mod in my sump. This is a new 90g tank with just saltwater in it. I wanted to run the skimmer to make sure it works, but I'm having some issues. I can't seem to get the water to not overflow the cup almost immediately. Its sitting in about 7" of water. I can't even turn the valve fast enough without it overflowing. I did have it working once or twice for an hour or 2 and then it overflows again. Now, it just overflows. Is there something wrong, or is it because there is only saltwater in the tank?

Current Tank Info: AGA 90g reef in works,
Old 01/23/2008, 06:26 PM   #756
melev
Moved On

It sounds like the gate valve mod wasn't installed correctly. Can we see a picture of it?

Old 01/23/2008, 06:31 PM   #757
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Is there any water conditioner in there? Any type of additive in the water column?

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 01/23/2008, 06:37 PM   #758
casingbill
Registered Member

Old 01/23/2008, 06:38 PM   #759
casingbill
Registered Member

Nothing in the water....just RODI and salt. Salinity is at 1.025. I can say, there is a funky smell in the skimmer. If that means anything.

Old 01/23/2008, 06:45 PM   #760
Jim_S
Timo Boll

To me it looks like the skimmer exhaust is too high. That will cause the skimmer to overflow. The water cannot exit the skimmer fast enough.

If you want to keep the gate valve, you will need to shorten the exhaust pipe.

I'd contact ER before you start chopping though

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 01/23/2008, 11:40 PM   #761
melev
Moved On

Yes it is much too high. I would change it so the gate valve is on the exit side. That would lower the entire thing by pulling the gate valve out of that section.

Old 01/24/2008, 12:42 AM   #762
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

I currently have an RS-80 that i have had for around 3 months...

It seems like I am constantly having to clear the air intake tube... Im talking like 2 times a week..(by using really hot RO/DI and using the air intake to suck it up and clean out the gunk)... The reason I am having to clean it so often is that it seems like the airline is getting clogged, increasing the water/air ratio and sending microbubbles too low, and ultimately out of the skimmer...

Is there a way to mod this or do something so I am not having to constantly purge this?? It happens with or without the air flow adjustment valve...

PBITAWA
Old 01/24/2008, 02:15 AM   #763
melev
Moved On

Either your stand is sealed tightly and thus the intake is drawing in moist saltwater all the time, or it is too close to something relatively wet.

What about extending the tube so it draws air from a drier area, just outside of the stand or fishroom?

Old 01/24/2008, 08:56 AM   #764
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

that sounds like a good idea!

does anyone know the id of the tubing used for the venturi air intake?

PBITAWA
Old 01/24/2008, 10:39 AM   #765
eskymick
Registered Member

I have the "old" style of RS135 skimmer .... with the foam-wrapped exit tube. Is it possible to retro fit that model with the new style of exit tube plumbing?

NO2 - .003 mg/L
NO3 - .2 mg/L
Calc. - 420
dKH - 8.0
Flow ~ 80x

Current Tank Info: 24" cube SPS Reef, 15 gal sump, 1- LumenBright Pendant with 250w 20K Phoenix lamp, 1 - Vortech MP40, ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer.
Old 01/24/2008, 11:34 AM   #766
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Originally posted by eskymick
I have the "old" style of RS135 skimmer .... with the foam-wrapped exit tube. Is it possible to retro fit that model with the new style of exit tube plumbing?
I think it depends on what "new" style you are looking at.

If you want to do a gate valve, then it should be no problem.

However, if you want to switch over to the "wedge pipe" design, I don't think thats easily done. I'm pretty sure that the fittings for this are metric, and cannot be used with our skimmers. I asked Chip over at ER about this around 4-5 months ago.

You may want to double check though.

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Old 01/24/2008, 11:38 AM   #767
eskymick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by casingbill
Is this a "gate valve" design? This is what I'd like to reconfigure my "old" style RS135 to look like.

NO2 - .003 mg/L
NO3 - .2 mg/L
Calc. - 420
dKH - 8.0
Flow ~ 80x

Current Tank Info: 24" cube SPS Reef, 15 gal sump, 1- LumenBright Pendant with 250w 20K Phoenix lamp, 1 - Vortech MP40, ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer.
Old 01/24/2008, 11:40 AM   #768
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Yes, that is the gate valve design. It should be no problem to convert your skimmer's exhaust over to this style

The newer ER's come with a wedge pipe design, like the bubble kings and H&S skimmers.

This is how they work

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Old 01/24/2008, 12:22 PM   #769
hansmatt
Registered Member

I have a DIY gate mod on my ES 5-3....but I have the gate valve on the horizontal piece after the Tee (between the Tee and 90 elbow going down). Is there any reason to switch locations (to below the Tee) ? It seems that the horizontal location would actually control outflow & keep the water/bubble level more consistent...at least I think? Any input?

Old 01/24/2008, 02:25 PM   #770
melev
Moved On

If you look at this picture, you can see how the bend is quite a bit lower than where the water level in my skimmer is. By closing the gate valve, the water level can rise higher. By opening it, more water exits and the water level within the skimmer drops, but it will never get lower than the horizontal section (from the Tee to the 90 elbow pointing down):

You'd think I'd take an updated picture when the skimmer is clean, but I never think about it.

Old 01/24/2008, 02:37 PM   #771
scotmc
Moved On

How has the gate valve increased the performance? Do you have any air numbers with the mesh wheel upgrade? I am thinking about doing this to my 135.

Old 01/24/2008, 02:45 PM   #772
melev
Moved On

The gate valve allows me to dial it in precisely.

The mesh definitely gives it finer bubbles, but I don't have any specific numbers to share although I did buy a meter.

Old 01/24/2008, 04:48 PM   #773
casingbill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yes it is much too high. I would change it so the gate valve is on the exit side. That would lower the entire thing by pulling the gate valve out of that section.
I did that. Its working fine at the moment. Although, its ridiculously tight fitting in my sump now. But, we'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Bill

Old 01/25/2008, 02:43 PM   #774
sm fragman
Registered Member

i have a ? for the euro-reef techs i am looking at getting a rc 180 i looked at getting right from your euro-reef web sight till i saw that you are charging almost $200 dollars more to get it right from you vers getting it from a vendor for $200 less,,, i was wondering why euro reef is charging more to get the skimmer right from them that seem very odd

Old 01/25/2008, 02:46 PM   #775
scotmc
Moved On

I noticed that also. they skip the middle man to make more money. They are now priced closer to deltec, which is a far better skimmer.

Closed Thread