Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/10/2007, 11:11 PM   #101
Coderabit2
Registered Member

I'm curious as well if anyone had success with other butterflies (besides the raccoon).

Coderabit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2007, 11:41 PM   #102
montrealreef
Registered Member

A number of fish have been reported to eat Majanos. These include Majestic Angelfish, Threadfin
Butterflyfish, Raccoon Butterflyfish, Copperband BUtterflyfish, Double saddle Butterflyfish, and BiColor Angelfish.

I have tried them all and none of them worked!!

The angels are not the least bit interested( although the bicolor looks at them every now and then). So far they have not done any damage ( I've had them for over 4 months)

The butterflies were too destructive (with the exception of the copperband) and did not eat the Majanos either.. needless to say, all have been returned to my LFS..

I started this thread a few months ago with the hope of finding a natural solution. I have yet to do so. I continue to have Majano in my tank, and injecting them with Joe's Juice has become part of my routine husbandry..

Hope others will have more success.

montrealreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 08:38 AM   #103
Coderabit2
Registered Member

I'm definetly in your boat. Was the double saddle bfly the false or the true double saddle?

Coderabit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 08:41 AM   #104
GSMguy
Registered Member

I am going to give up my battle, i would not mind buying new rock but who would take my old rock covered in them? i am so sick of these thing, i would have such a great tank if they were not in there.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 08:53 AM   #105
montrealreef
Registered Member

It was a true double saddle.

Old 12/11/2007, 09:37 AM   #106
reefkoi
Premium Member

I have some of these guys myself.
I also have 600 gallons of display so I am thinking about putting 1cc of TMPCC into a small syringe and inject them.
I know TMPCC is going to kill fish but if i did such a small amount in a large tank I am thinking it will just raise the iodine levels (which I am very low on anyway) right?
Does anyone know if there is something in TMPCC that stays in the water and would kill corals or my fish eventually?
If the TMPCC is too risky then maybe using Lugols would work? I could dilute it in the syringe and zap say 5 Majanos every day for a week or 2 and only elevate the iodine level close to where it should be anyway.
What do you think?
C

Current Tank Info: A 600gal. on Zeovit & a 240gal.
reefkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 11:14 AM   #107
miston
Premium Member

MAN or MAN do I wish I wasn't lazy when I noticed my first majano! I never thought it would be harmful!

Luckily I only have a 12 gallon so I hope to conquer the small infestation I have now.

miston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 06:12 PM   #108
tatoofr
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a 120 set up now for about 15 years.
About 5 years ago I bought a piece of coral that had some mojo's on it.
Over the years they started to show up in different places in my reef. Nothing worked, joes juice made them worse, kalk, same thing. I tried picking them with
tweezers. Useless. It was a constant battle for years to keep them in check. Then I got lazy. I tried a Bi Color, never ate one but in a week was nipping on my clams, I removed him by trapping.
I had about five hundred of them due to lack of interest in the tank and the battle. And my tank was georgeous.
Then a friend came in from Fla. And couldn't believe what my tank had turned into. He offered to help, so we took the top layer of rocks out and hit them with a blow torch , and then put it all back together again. Took about two hours, not that bad.
The next day didnt see one. Their were a few on some lower rocks that we didnt touch, I picked up a Double saddle and after about an hour of being in the tank was eating all the ones left.
Now my tank is free of them for the time being, and I hope they dont return. I must tell you though I do see the fish nip at my clams now and then, And do think it will have to be removed in time to come.
It has not nipped at any corals at this time, but has worked well.
Honestly , If not killing them with the blow torch I would have never gotten rid of them. The torch knocked out about 95 % of them in a couple hours of work. And I had hundreds of them .
I feel everyones pain who has this problem.
I will take some pic and be glad to email them to anyone intrested.
Just send me an E mail. I dont know how to post pic?
Frank

tatoofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 06:22 PM   #109
GSMguy
Registered Member

Frank i like the idea of the double saddle
\

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:27 PM   #110
tatoofr
Registered Member

Hi,
Its worked well for me. I think if I can keep him for a period of time He will rid the tank of the left over ones. All I know is now I can sit by the tank and admire it again.

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Old 01/08/2008, 06:30 PM   #111
montrealreef
Registered Member

I tried a double saddle many months ago. It did not touch a single Majano. It did however destroy 3 SPS colonies... I also tried a raccoon butterfly which totally wreaked havoc in my reef...

Old 01/08/2008, 06:33 PM   #112
tatoofr
Registered Member

Maybe its hit or miss and I got lucky?
Frank

Old 01/08/2008, 06:39 PM   #113
montrealreef
Registered Member

I'm glad to hear of your victory over the Majanos from hell ;-)

Old 01/08/2008, 06:40 PM   #114
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by montrealreef
I tried a double saddle many months ago. It did not touch a single Majano. It did however destroy 3 SPS colonies... I also tried a raccoon butterfly which totally wreaked havoc in my reef...
i feel like that will happen to me..

Old 01/08/2008, 06:43 PM   #115
tatoofr
Registered Member

I know, Its scary, But the majanos were killing my corals anyway so I took a chance.
You can always trap him if needed.
Frank

Old 03/14/2008, 09:35 AM   #116
snake plissken
Registered Member

montrealreef-
i had a few majanos and aiptasia. a camelback shrimp ate both of the pests. unfortunately he also ate my soft corals,
and gettign the camelback out of my tank was a horrendous task. these shrimp are superfast and extremely smart. i have a cleaner shrimp that jumps into my hand if i put it in the tank...the camelback would dart under rocks as soon as i put in a finger

if you could put a rock at a time in a quarantine tank with a camelback, you may have luck.
turning him loose in your main tank would probably be just as frustrating as the majanos

Current Tank Info: 34G Red Sea Max
snake plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 09:46 AM   #117
j.prostrata
Moved On

This weekend I am testing out a steam cleaner. Going to fill it with distilled water and then go into the tank and melt these buggers. I will post results. I had a buddy do it in a 1200 gallon system when he had only a few and they never returned. Might be a safe effective treatment.

j.prostrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 09:55 AM   #118
montrealreef
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip snake plissken!!

After many months of totally ignoring the Majanos, my majestic angelfish has started to pick at them every now and then. While they have by no means disappeared, they are retracted deep into the rocks where they are less visible and out of the angel's reach.. I wonder whether a shrimp can reach deeper in the cracks to pick them out.

I cannot remove the rocks from the tank since most of the rocks are epoxied together for stability. I will have to really tear down the tank in order to loosen the rocks. What sort of damage should I expect from a camelback shrimp in an SPS dominated tank ? ( the only soft corals I have are green star polyps which I would be happy to get rid of)

Thanks

Old 03/14/2008, 10:49 AM   #119
GSMguy
Registered Member

I am going to buy all new rocks the mojanos are just everywhere

50g tank with 400 mojanos.....

i might get a butterfly and put it in a holding tank with the rock after i pull it all out, at least then i could sell or re use my expensive rock.

Old 03/14/2008, 01:00 PM   #120
snake plissken
Registered Member

i have a nanoreef with no SPS so i am not the expert there. if all you have is stonys you may be OK...but dont take my word for it.

the camelback completely devoured (my only) two ricordia, an entire frogpawn, and several zooanthids.

the day he made lunch out of the frogspawn is the same day i tore my tank apart, removeing 90% of my rock to finally corner him

Current Tank Info: 34G Red Sea Max
snake plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2008, 08:58 PM   #121
rick17
Registered Member

I got a pyramide buttrefly about 5 months ago(Didnt even think about the majano whene i got him just like the fish) and i'll say that after 3 weeks i knowthis that i had a lot less majanos in the tank now once in a will i see one retracted in the rock i'm so happy the tank looked like hell whit to many majano to count to know how many they where now there are gone almost
I think going the natural way is hard because it's always a hit or a miss but once you got a hit it's so easy too just look in the tank and see that the majano are going going gone brings you hope to get the tank looking like you want it to

rick17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2008, 10:40 PM   #122
aurora
Registered Member

I had a similar problem a similar problem. I finally got fed up and got at raccoon butterfly. I quarantine him in the refugium with a few of the most infested rock, don't feed him, and in a few days he wiped all the majanos on the rock. After a couple of weeks of feeding him just majano, I unleashed him ino the main tank and we went to town. Within 3 weeks, he cleaned every nook and cranny of my 300G of majano. I made the mistake of not taking out a prized LPS and lost it. Whatever butterfly you pick, try the same method of training to develope of taste for majano. Remove your LPS before unleashing the butterfly into you main tank. Good Luck...

aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2008, 10:54 PM   #123
GSMguy
Registered Member

I have anemones and LPS in the main tank but i think i will use a Butterfly to clear the rocks in a QT

Old 03/16/2008, 04:12 AM   #124
waterfaller1
Registered Member

I have started taking my worst rocks out to the sink. I use the sprayer with hot water. It takes several minutes and they release. I know it's probably not good for my bacteria, but I can't stand it anymore. I am only doing a couple rocks every other week or so. I like the butterfly in the fuge idea.

waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2008, 09:43 AM   #125
GSMguy
Registered Member

watterfaller do they just pop right off? if so i will have a sink full of them in a couple hours....