Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/23/2008, 11:08 PM   #176
johnny313
Registered Member

I'm sorry I didn't read the entire thread. I have a 65 and HAD about 200 or so in my tank. Thank god I really didnt have too many corals at the time.
The best way to kill these lil guys is to get a 5 gallon bucket. fill it half way with water and get 8oz of Kalk ( I use Kent ) mix about 5 ounces or so of kalk with regular tap water. get a pc of live rock and soak it in the mixture for like a minute or so. The mojanos literally jump off the rocks and die! unfortunately most of everything will die on the rock. I have a few still in my tank that I cannot reach but they are hanging low and out of the way. sometimes they jump off the rocks and the current tanks them to the top and thats when I use a calk paste and inject them.
There is no need to burn them with a blow torch, boil or nuke the rock!

johnny313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2008, 04:59 AM   #177
Big Boy69
Registered Member

The seagrass fil fish my LFS got in for me. I think it was 18 bucks? Also Petco can get them.

Big Boy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 10:45 PM   #178
chadfarmer
Premium Member

i had a racccon and after2 month in my tank killed everyone

now a month later they are starting to pop out of the rock again

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2009, 11:35 PM   #179
drgabe
Premium Member

Same here Chad. I am thinking about making a Raccoon a permanent member of the tank.

drgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2009, 11:13 AM   #180
jimmy n
Registered Member

Majestic Angel has always done the job for me. Left clams and sps alone, plowed aptasia.

jimmy n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2009, 11:34 AM   #181
montrealreef
Registered Member

I have the same experience.

Majestic angel demolished the entire majano population. It took six months before the angel started to eat them, but when it did they were all wiped out.

Does not harm SPS,LPS,clams in my tank. Very peaceful and beautiful..

I love this fish

montrealreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2009, 01:47 PM   #182
chris4869
Registered Member

What a nightmare. I wish you guys luck.

I had a piece of rock once with a couple of mejanos hidden on it. I was lucky enough to ID the pest, and dunk the infected half of the rock in hot water. The monti on top of the rock survived, but not the mejanos. After reading all of your struggles I'm so glad I didn't let them loose in my tank.

chris4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 04:43 AM   #183
Ldesp
Registered Member

has anyone tried aptasiaX on manjo and does it work?

Ldesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 04:54 AM   #184
montrealreef
Registered Member

I tried it. It temporarily disturbs the majanos but will not kill them.

A majestic angelfish is the only thing that worked for me. It took six months before the fish showed any interest, but then it systematically sought and consumed the little pests until there were none left.

Good luck!

Old 06/17/2009, 05:37 AM   #185
Ldesp
Registered Member

well I don't think the fish route is for me as I only have 1 manjo atm but im worried abot it multiplying and eventually ending up being a colony of hundreds.... its about the size of quarter .. its pretty embedded into a hole on a peace of live rock that can not be removed from the tank ... i was thinking about shading it somehow so that it would try to go on the move and maybe come out of its hole so it would be easier to pluck off the rock ... guess ill try some aptasia x also maybe that would make it move so that it is easier to get at.

Old 06/17/2009, 05:43 AM   #186
montrealreef
Registered Member

I started with one majano and ended up with hundreds a few months later. I would say do whatever you can to get rid of this majano or the rock it is on. Some people have had success with epoxy.

good luck

Old 06/17/2009, 06:03 AM   #187
Ldesp
Registered Member

well i justed squrited him with aptasia x and it shriveld up and went back into its hole ... i do have some aquastik epoxy

http://www.petsolutions.com/Images/200/48144062.jpg

are you saying to just cover it up and close it into its hole?

Old 06/17/2009, 06:17 AM   #188
montrealreef
Registered Member

Exactly! use enough to create a complete seal.

Old 06/17/2009, 06:22 AM   #189
Ldesp
Registered Member

ok ill give that a shot if i cant get it off the rock with some tongs .... its looking pretty bad right now kinda blackish after the squirt of aptasiax would be nice if it detaches some so i could grab it and remove it entirely... if all fails i will try sealing him in with the aquastik. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06/17/2009, 09:16 AM   #190
elijaher
Registered Member

I try epoxy but you have do all the holes on the rock. It will move inside and come out on unblock hole.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 12:06 PM   #191
Herb A Vore
Moved On

I have used tweezers to carefully pick them off rocks. They aren't like the regular aptasia where they will break apart easily. These suckers are strong and you won't damage them easily. They don't seem to reproduce as fast as aptasia either so if you just keep at it you might get rid of all of them.

Herb A Vore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 03:15 PM   #192
darkdruid
Registered Member

I got rid of mine the hard way. I removed every coral from the tank, put them in tubs, and made sure there were no hitchhikers. Then I completely drained the tank and filled it with freshwater. I did this 2 or 3 times to flush out all the salt. Then I turned on all the pumps and filters and let it run for a week. It killed every last one. You have to completely recycle the tank but after spending weeks getting the rock arranged just right and looking exactly the way I wanted it, I didn't want to rip it apart and I didn't want to wait for months while it cooked. After everything was dead, I just added the salt to the tank, fired up the skimmer to remove any organics that were left, and it was ready to go.

Current Tank Info: 46 gallon bowfront and 35 gallon mixed reefs, several 10 and 20 gallon frag tanks, beginning a 125 build
darkdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 03:44 PM   #193
waterfaller1
Registered Member

I finally gave in. Took out my clam, SPS, and LPS, stopped using my halides,took out 2X actinic & added 2 X daylight VHO's.
And added a medium Raccoon Butterfly. I am hard pressed to find a majano as of today, and I had hundreds!

waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 04:21 PM   #194
montrealreef
Registered Member

My Majestic angel wiped them out. It does not bother my SPS, LPS, or clams. I love that fish

Old 06/23/2009, 03:58 PM   #195
waterfaller1
Registered Member

Look, they are almost gone!

If I would have showed you these pics a couple months ago these rocks were covered.

Thanks Mr. Raccoon-The Destroyer..

I gave the Majestic and the saddleback away, because at the time I still was keeping sps. They did both go after mine. Now that I don't keep sps, no worries. And my coraline is coming back nice. I am thinking about running some 20K XM's for a few hours a day to get a bit more color. Do I miss the sps, heck yeah. Would I take them back if it meant I had to live with the majanos, heck NO!

Last edited by waterfaller1; 06/23/2009 at 04:13 PM.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2009, 04:08 PM   #196
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

we thought we got rid of these a couple years ago
removed all the LR they were found on and any/all LR that was surrounding... we thought that bec we caught them early that we had exterminated this pest from our system!...

until a couple days ago...

looks very similar almost identical to the euphyllia beside it...
but doesnt have a hard skeleton... at first thought it was a euph and that it might have gotten separated from the skeleton so we stuck it in the fuge w/ this other piece... then yesterday as it sat opened up - the image of a majano came to mind instead.

i feel certain its a majano
does anyone else have a differing opinion?

thanks.

regards

Photobucket

Last edited by K' Family Reef; 06/23/2009 at 04:47 PM.
K' Family Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 03:18 PM   #197
Fearlessmoto
Registered Member

A freind of mine had these all over, he tried everything and eventaually had to sell is rock to our LFS, ( which is stupid because he is infecting other peoples tanks now) clear everything out of the tank fill it with fresh water and run the tank at 100 degrees with no and i mean NO light for weeks to finally get rid of them, a year later his tank is still recavering from this. its a lot of work but please dont throw in the towel on the hobby!

Fearlessmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 09:32 PM   #198
downhillbiker
Registered Member

sorry, i haven't read entire thread, but is there any reason the racoon is so popular? i was thinking of adding a copper banded to my display, but am wodnering if the racoon is safer. i also have zoas, will those be in danger? LPS?

Current Tank Info: 200g Marineland Deep Dimension (Lumenmax Reflectors/Dual PFO 400w/Radium 20K) and 2xFrag Tanks (One TEK T5 fixture and one MH, Galaxy/Phoenix) on same system w/100g sump w/6"x100g DSB, AquaC EV-1000 Skimmer, Reeflo Barracuda return pump
downhillbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 10:53 PM   #199
mskurdah
Registered Member

FWIW I've always had GREAT luck with peppermint shrimp and those things. They're not that expensive -- I would buy a huge group of them...

mskurdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 11:43 PM   #200
downhillbiker
Registered Member

i have never had luck with peppermint shrimp and majanos, only aptasia.

Current Tank Info: 200g Marineland Deep Dimension (Lumenmax Reflectors/Dual PFO 400w/Radium 20K) and 2xFrag Tanks (One TEK T5 fixture and one MH, Galaxy/Phoenix) on same system w/100g sump w/6"x100g DSB, AquaC EV-1000 Skimmer, Reeflo Barracuda return pump
downhillbiker is offline   Reply With Quote